Long Term Storage of Meat.

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by NH Trucker, Sep 15, 2012.

1. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

One of the benefits of my job is I get meats in bulk at wholesale price, which is half price or better than what it's on the shleves at your local grocer. So I can get a large cryo of any cut of beef, chicken, and pork for cheap.

I know that it's unsafe for poultry, but is there a way for a person to store meat for a year or two? If making jerky with beef, I know it has a shelf life in a refrigerator of 2 weeks in a ziplock, but is there a way to stretch that out longer sealed in mylar with O2 absorbers? And is there some kind of freeze drying process a person can do at home that would result in being able to store meat unrefrigerated for several months, a year, or longer?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    A Non-Ninja long term Big Dot vs. RMR vs. Notch and Post sight eval Sights, Optics and Lasers Aug 23, 2015
    Long term storage effect on magazine spring, shells, PVC pipe, etc. Tactical Shotguns Aug 15, 2015
    Long Term Stability Of Glock Polymer General Glocking Jun 13, 2015
    Frequent marijuana use associated with long-term memory loss The Okie Corral Mar 18, 2015
    Frequent marijuana use associated with long-term memory loss Civil Liberties Issues Mar 18, 2015

3. Freeze-drying at home is not going to be an option -- to freeze dry food properly, it takes some pretty pricey commercial equipment. Dehydrating meats, on the other hand--to make jerky as you mentione--is a perfectly good option. You can do that in an oven, in a dehydrator, or even on a rock outside on a hot day if really want to go native.

Now I think your best approach is probably going to be to can your meats--using a pressure canner (not a boiling water canner). There are plenty of resources online if you research this, but here's a start for you: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can5_meat.html

4. Forgot to mention that canned meats are actually going to be your best long-term storage option ... better than freezing and most methods of drying meat that is done at home.

You can expect many years of shelf life. I've seen a wide range of estimates, from 4-5 years to over 100 years. I don't buy the 100 years claim, although scitntists have reportedly tested canned meats they have found that were that old and they found them to be fine.