Long range test

Discussion in 'GATE Long-Range Shooting' started by bcowen22001, Mar 1, 2011.

1. I tried last weekend to do a test of my m4 out at distance. 16" barrell w/ no magnifier using a 557 eotech. 55 grain fmj silver bear. I had a caldwell rest. conditions were not optimal. 25-35mph gusts. I used an official nra match 100 yard target. i shot 3 round strings. started at 100 yds. about 2 inch high of bullseye. I think i shot 6 rounds at this yardage and was very consistent. then i moved to 206 yds. impacts were still 2 inch or so above bullseye, with one flyer to the left. the wind was out of the south blowing right to left of target. I then moved to 263 yds my impacts were more wide spread, not in the black circle but in the white, still on paper though. after shooting 3 shots out at 263 yds and hitting paper, i then switched ammo to a varmint round winchester supreme 55 grain ballistic tip. and did not hit the target at all.

I am looking for insight on what else i could do to get more hits in the 10 ring. Books, literature, etc.

thanks.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Longer range microphone The Okie Corral Aug 19, 2015
    I'm somewhat liking the early review of this new Ruger long range rifle. General Firearms Forum Jul 18, 2015
    Your Long-range Accurate, Durable and Reliable, "NIB as-is" AR-15 of Choice GATE AR-15 Forum Jul 15, 2015
    M&Pc range report....the long and the short of it! TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club Jul 7, 2015
    The longest serving TX Ranger Cop Talk Apr 19, 2015

3. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

1. Get proper magnified optics for longer range shooting

2. Find ammunition that shoots less than 1" groups at 100 yards (should consistently put 4 of 5, 5-shot groups into 1" or less). Then do not change ammunition.

3. Get a solid 100 yard zero

4. Use a ballistic program to determine where your POI will be at different distances, then dial those corrections (or use the reticle). Take notes when the predicted POI does not match the actual POI.

5. Somewhere between #2 and #5, figure out if your technique is good or not.

4. Thanks for your help.