close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Long gun for a long walk in the woods.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by auto-5, May 21, 2012.

1. auto-5

auto-5
    Expand Collapse

If you were going to walk into the woods for an extended amount of time with just one rifle which one and what caliber would you choose? For the sake of conversation let’s say you are in Appalachian Mountains. Do you end up choosing a small game rifle like a 10/22 that would be great for hunting but lack luster for SD or are you picking an assault rifle like an AR/AK that is ideal for SD but for most hunting aspect are either over or under kill? Maybe you go a different direction with a bolt action rifle or shotgun?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. wjv

wjv
    Expand Collapse

Winchester 9422M .22 Magnum
    11+1 rounds

[​IMG]

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

AK 47, similar ballistics to 30-30, so deer should be on the menu. Good hunting cartridge for most size game.

30 round mags, so I probably won't get interrupted.
    Good self defense cartridge for most zombie hordes.

4. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter
    Expand Collapse

my favorite long gun for the woods is a shotgun. will cover any base with the right ammo. only downside is bulky ammo. but sparrows to bear and anything in between.

if it were a more specific scenario, answer might be different but i believe the shotgun to be the best all around gun.

5. Ewalk

Ewalk
    Expand Collapse

:agree:

One of my Firearms instructors was with the secret service and part of his job was to protect foreign dignitaries. He said that they sent him with one to Alaska cause the guy wanted to go hunting. He said him and the other 3 agents had M16s and two sidearms each. He said the local guys just had shotguns with slugs and buck shot and they said that they had taken down angry bears. Plus u could get dinner with it!

6. Unistat

Unistat
    Expand Collapse

For long guns, when I'm camping it's usually my M6 Scout (.22 LR over .410.)

I keep the S&W 13 (.357 Mag) on hand for mean critters and mean people, but that's a handgun and not what you're asking about.

#6 Unistat, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  7. Snaps

Snaps
    Expand Collapse
    Hail 2 The King

really wish they still made that.

I'm really thinking about one of those ruger 10/22 take down guns. They seem like a nice idea for a fair price

8. RatDrall

RatDrall
    Expand Collapse

How is a semi-auto rifle overkill? A 7.62x39 or 5.56 can kill a deer just as much as any .30-30, I would argue that the deer hunter's .300 win. mag. is overkill if anything is.

The rule is that if you carry a .22 rifle for squirrel hunting or whatever, have a decent sidearm 9mm or .38 special or bigger in the woods.

I would recommend an AK or Mini-30 for hiking in Appalachia, never know when you're going to stumble on somebody's 'marrijuaner' patch, or come across a crabby black bear...

9. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

Shotgun or AR.

10. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

A 7.62x39 or 5.56 is over kill for small game such as a squirrel or rabbit.

On an extended walk you aren't going to want to kill a large animal like a deer, that's just wasteful because you can't consume it before it rots.

Is suggest a handgun capable of defense against the big critters, such as a stainless 4" .44 mag, that is carried on your person all the time and a light weight .22lr rifle for harvesting small game. I have a single shot cricket for my daughter, it only weighs a couple pounds and is very accurate.

Total weight between the 2 guns would be less the one centrefire rifle or shotgun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#10 vafish, May 22, 2012
  11. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe
    Expand Collapse
    you savvy?

Savage over under rifle shotgun combo.

.22lr and 20ga. are pretty good choices.

#11 cowboywannabe, May 22, 2012
  12. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Because I'm an old peckerwood with bad knees, I always think about the possibility of getting hurt on the trail...stepping into a hole or some type of accident. If you're hurt and alone, a shotgun would be mighty comforting til help arrives. A short barrel pump in any gauge with a sling would provide meat and defend against anything/anybody with the intentIon of doing bad things. A .22 is fine with full faculties, but a shotgun is more forgiving with a busted arm or if weakened by a snake bite.

The answer to the OP really is a personal decision based on one's thoughts about how the firearm might be needed on the trail. In my case, it's primarily a survival and defense tool.

#12 PhotoFeller, May 22, 2012
  13. sebecman

sebecman
    Expand Collapse

Actually atleast in my area, a 5.56 or 223 is a poor choice for deer. The small diameter and high velocity mean the round often will pass clean thru the animal with no expansion, creating a very small wound channel that is easily plugged by a bit of muscle/bone or gut. This means that the animal runs well beyond your range/ability to recover it before it dies.

Given the terrain here, EVERYONE uses 30 caliber or larger, the idea being to drop that animal where it stands so as to limit your need for trekking thru swamp, over mountain and thru dark growth forest that willl make a grown man cry trying to recover your animal...300 win mag is a prime choice, I prefer 30-06.

14. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

1 A long walk in the woods "for an extended time" means packing in my rifle and ammunitition both. So if I can't carry it I don't have it.

2 Appalachian mountains are full of small game and passive deer with virtually no predators except for a starving black bear, in your dreams, and 1 poisonous snake (the timber rattler).

I choose the Ruger 10/22 with a reasonably priced Pentax Gameseeker 3 watertight scope that will put a round in a baseball at 100 yards and 3 magazines, the new BX25, that are not going to fail and offer 25 rounds each. I would also bring a couple of 555 round boxes of .22LR as my pack could handle it and if I were taking to the woods I would probably need all that I could carry.

This package will put away any game or deviant within 100 yards and in the trees of the Appalachians that should be just fine.

15. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

My .300 BLK with suppressor attached. Mags holding various flavors of subsonic and supersonic ammo.

16. Donn57

Donn57
    Expand Collapse
    Just me

Well, first you'd have to define "extended amount of time". To me, it would mean several hours since anything longer than that and you're not walking, you're camping. Since it is unlikely that I'll run out of food in a matter of hours, hunting is not a consideration, only self defense. I probably wouldn't bother with a rifle at all, but if I did carry a rifle, it would be the smallest, lightest carbine available that chambered a serious self-defense round.

17. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I quit carrying a rifle in the woods a few years ago, and just carry a large revolver instead now. My "which rifle" answer would depend on whether I still had that revolver or not.

If so, then a .22 rifle for small stuff & light weight of ammo, since the revolver can handle defense & bear & such. Most likely the marlin 795 or 7000.

If I couldn't have the revolver and was stuck with rifle-only, then my choice would be a levergun in either .357 magnum or .454 casull; either one. Of the two, the .357 would likely be my first choice for anything short of a full-on "Postman" type situation. It has the advantage of being lighter, both in gun weight & ammo weight; and with magnum loads is as powerful as a .44 magnum revolver, plenty for deer or defense imo. The .454 levergun has the advantage of being stainless steel along with a probably-unnecessary power advantage, but is more weight both gun-wise and ammo-wise.

18. Akita

Akita
    Expand Collapse
    gone

AR with a 22 kit (any brand except Ceiner, the jailbird Ceiner that is).

Personally, its a Glock 29 for me unless there is reason to carry otherwise.

19. Quigley

Quigley
    Expand Collapse
    Elite Member

I agree with previous comments on this. If I had a hangin for defense I would want a .22 like the 10/22 but if all I had was a rifle it would have to be a .357 lever gun. With .38 wad cutters it is perfect for small game, or at least close to it and with .357s it can handle any two or 4 legged predator that the woods has to offer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

20. SEARTraining

SEARTraining
    Expand Collapse

Ruger Mini 14 .223 or Remminton 870 with 00Buck and Slugs. After watching the Magpul Art of the Dynamic Shotgun DVD's I went out of the market for a rifle and pretty much only carry a shotgun now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCv0X6SqUg"]Art of the Dynamic Shotgun Trailer - Magpul Dynamics - YouTube[/ame]