close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Long day at the range... Noticed a few things

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by rsxr22, Aug 5, 2010.

1. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Decided to head up to the range today and get some rounds through my 2 newer purchases. STI Spartan and TRP. I took with me 400 rounds of 9mm and 300 .45.
    Overall it was a good day, Didnt take any pictures but i put a lot of holes through the A zone body and head on some IPSC targets. Both of these guns are super accurate.

The STI is just awesome. I have primarily been shooting it for the past two weeks and not even touched my G34, which i used to think was really easy to shoot. Halfway through I picked up the G34 and ran 10 rounds and i was blown away with the difference of perceived recoil i felt because i got so used to shooting the Spartan.
    ** A few things i noticed though are that I am not very fond of the beavertail. It seems like i can grip much higher on my TRP than the STI. The web of my hand inbetween my thumb and pointer finger is really red and raw and i believe it to be from the not so smooth edges of the beavertail. Im pretty sure i need to swap this out. Is one company supposedly better than the other or all relatively the same? Also, is there anything i can do to make the empty magazines drop faster?

Not much to say about the TRP. Im happy with everything about it. Just want to switch out to a flat trigger and when my smith is doing that, im going to have him touch up the trigger a bit.

2. Faster mag drops?

Brass base plates, or pads to add weight is one method.

I haven't bought any of the STIs, but I really like my TRP!

My 9mm is a Dan Wesson PM-9, and it is both comfortable and accurate.

3. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    I like the PM9 a lot as well! I had an opportunity to get a NIB PM9 for $950. I know it was a deal, but at the time i wasnt crazy about the polished stainless finish and it felt like it had some sharp edges. While i am extremely happy with my Spartan, I wish i would have gotten the PM9.
    I'll have to look into the brass base pads. I have aluminum ones on my Wilson ETM's. There definitely heavier than the old plastic ones, but still dont help that much.