close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lone Wolf vs. Storm Lake Barrels

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TJ Superfly, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TJ Superfly

TJ Superfly
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking at getting a conversion barrel for my G27 .40 to 9mm. The Storm Lake is about an extra $40. Is it worth it?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. crazymoose

crazymoose
    Expand Collapse
    Nonentity

Depends how much you expect out of the barrel. The Storm Lake is generally better made and should be a bit more accurate.

3. motorcyclist

motorcyclist
    Expand Collapse

I've had 2 Lone Wolf conversion barrels. Didn't have a problem with either and found them to be very accurate. Keep in mind the POI changes with the barrel swap, at least that's what I found.

4. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt
    Expand Collapse
    Enslaved in IL

I would recommend thoroughly searching thse forums, specifically look in the reloading forum. Read what locked threads that are about 500 posts long and make your own decision. The arguments are there for and against, with all sides weighing in, including the owner of the company.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

This is a stock barrel at 25 yards off-hand. If this isn't good enough, you probably need a different gun.

[​IMG]

6. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV
    Expand Collapse

You didn't read the OP, did you? He's asking about conversion barrels.

I have both Storm Lake and LWD(threaded) conversion barrels for my G23. They both work great, though I have taken to leaving the LWD in 99% of the time now.

7. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Huh?

He asked about conversion barrels. I answered him.

ETA: Oh, wait, nevermind

[​IMG]

#7 WiskyT, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine
    Expand Collapse
    Limp Member

I can't say about Storm Lake barrels as I have no experience with them. However, Both me and my neighboor - shooting partner, use our own Lone Wolf barrels to convert or G27s to 9mm and .357 sig respectively. Neither of us has had any problems with FTFs, FTEs or loss of accuracy. All four barrels have been flawless.

9. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger
    Expand Collapse

I like Lone Wolf barrels, mainly for the price you pay. The other brands might be more accurate but the LW is plenty accurate enough for me. I have about 5 LW barrels.

If I am going to carry for self defense or home protection I would go with the original Glock barrel, or the barrel that came with the gun new. Thats just me.

10. I Shooter

I Shooter
    Expand Collapse

I can't say anything about Storm Lake Barrels. I do have a L.W. barrel that is a paper weight.

I bought the barrel with the compensator for Glock 36. They sent it to me and it wouldn't shoot anything. The ramp hadn't been polished. It had the black coating on it and tooling marks.

I cleaned it up with some polishing. It then would shoot the FMJ but wouldn't shoot HP. I sent it back to L.W. and there gun smith called me and said that they couldn't get it to shoot any thing and did I want them to send it back or my money.

I said send it back. Because I knew that I had it shooting F. M. J. bullets and thought with a little work I could get it to shoot H.P. When I got the barrel back it looked as if they had dun nothing to it.

I called and explained that the barrel from the factory looked nothing like the barrel they sent me. I sent him pictures of what the barrel looked like and he said he would make me a barrel like the factory barrel with a compensator.

I waited almost a year. Then E-mailed them only to get an answer back from a woman that said we sent you a barrel back and we consider the case closed.

That was how I spent $180 for a paper weight. The barrel is of no use to anyone at this point. I think they should have made it work or take it off there sight for sale. Last time I looked they still sell the compensated barrel for the Glock 36. If they are selling one that works why don't I have one? If they don't why is it still for sale?

#10 I Shooter, Feb 19, 2013
  11. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Is $40 worth buying a US made barrel to you? If yes buy the Storm Lake or KKM. If no buy the Lone Wolf. I would rather pay the extra $40.

Don't mind WiskyT, he just likes posting that picture. (Notice how he covers the flyers with the gun.:whistling:)

#11 dkf, Feb 19, 2013
  12. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Piling on? Okay, if that's the way it's going to be, I'll just wait for you to slip up...

13. KK40384

KK40384
    Expand Collapse

U.S. made Storm Lake or foreign made LW. Hmmmmm no brainer. I have both and I can tell you I regret spending $40 less for a LW. When it comes to barrels you get what you pay for. Not knocking LW because they are fine but comparing them to Storm Lake they come up short in fit and finish.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley
    Expand Collapse
    Bonafide User

When looking for one last week the only one I could find in stock anywhere was the LW, so I ordered it. Have you found the Storm Lake anywhere?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. SJ 40

SJ 40
    Expand Collapse

I think you may mean this thread.
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663&highlight=warning+LWD+barrels
    It goes on for something like 21 pages,what it does do is give one some insight to LWD's representative and there business outlook.
    I had no dog in the dust up but after reading it ,well I made up my mind and I"m still shooting lead out of my OEM barrels. SJ 40

16. ak103k

ak103k
    Expand Collapse

Ive had three LW barrels, and they all worked fine. Dropped right in, and run like the factory barrels. I never noticed a shift in POA/POI with them either.

I never had a Storm Lake, but I havent yet seen the need to spend the extra money for one either.

17. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

18. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Storm Lake or KKM.

My opinions of LW are on page 1 of the aforementioned thread.

ETA: Oh yeah. And a very important point on page 8.

:whistling:

#18 Zombie Steve, Feb 19, 2013
  19. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

You won't have to wait long.:embarassed: