close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lone Wolf Lightweight Firing Pin Problem (broke)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Walk Soft, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

I ordered this thing when it came out 3 or 4 months ago and it had been on backorder since.When I got it last week,I kinda regretted buying it because I'd heard the stories of light strikes.Also I didn't think it could improve much on the trigger I have now on my range gun(Gen 4 17).It has the V4 race connector(2#)LW comp. spring kit and a heavy .25 trigger job.

I've tried all the connectors and the V4 has the lightest, crispest and shortest pull I've found.I have ran over 2000 assorted rounds without issue with this set up.

When I added the light weight striker and dry fired it I was amazed at the difference.To me it felt kinda like a trigger stop(LW) but without the mushiness and ever so slight overtravel.I was afraid it was too good to be true.

So yesterday it rained/snowed here and I got off work early and headed to the range.I put 100 rounds of Federal 115gr FMJ(figured this if any would cause a light strike) and 100 of my normal AA 115gr. FMJ.I had no issues except some of my best groups yet.When I got home I dryfired it a couple times(still in disbelief) and click, the trigger was stuck all the way back.
    http://[​IMG]http://[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

I've never had any issues with Lone Wolf products before.I'm hoping to get a refund.

3. dwalker84

dwalker84
    Expand Collapse

Wow - LW's stuff used to be top notch, recently.. not so much.

4. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

I'm stuck on the idea now so I'm gonna pony up and get a better one,maybe titanium.
    I wouldn't be happy with a replacement because they're not gonna retool the production or change materials anytime soon.It took me three months to get this one.lol

#4 Walk Soft, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  5. Made in Austria

Made in Austria
    Expand Collapse

I am sorry to hear that. But I am not surprised, they skeletonized it too much. I mean that thing has more holes than a fully grown Swiss cheese. It sure looks cool though. Put the stock firing pin back in and don't look back. Those skeleton pins have no real benefits anyways. The only thing they give you are light strikes and other problems. They are not even reliable with the proper FB spring.

#5 Made in Austria, Jan 13, 2012
  6. Alcoy

Alcoy
    Expand Collapse

contact them. good business practice to give you a replacement, preferably another but not the same style (with holes).

7. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

I agree about over skeletonizing.But I can't go without a lightweight striker now that i've tried it.The only reason I never bought one before now is they're expensive,relevantly.I thought the ratio of cost to benefit wouldn't be worth it.(LW=$30).Now that I know what the difference is I'll pay more for a stronger one.Besides it's a range gun.All I'm gonna do is test it and test it some more.I'm thinking titanium.

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa
    Expand Collapse

bet the stock one works.

9. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

touche

this coming from an armorer

:supergrin:

#9 Walk Soft, Jan 13, 2012
  10. smitty704

smitty704
    Expand Collapse

What are the benefits of the skeletonized strikers?

11. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

lightweight. Faster lock up time. no benefit of this one.:embarassed:

12. smitty704

smitty704
    Expand Collapse

Hey, it's your race gun brother. If you like it, that's all that matters. Good luck getting your replacement or refund. I'm sure you won't have any issues.

smitty

13. bentbiker

bentbiker
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Were you using snap caps when you dry-fired? If not, that might well have cushioned it enough. What weight FP spring was in it? I've been waiting for my new gun to try mine. Thanks for the warning. I wonder if this is why it took so long for them to ship -- maybe they saw the problem coming.

14. Made in Austria

Made in Austria
    Expand Collapse

Titanium is a fantastic metal and has lot's of good features. But doesn't do an better job in being a firing pin compared with an firing pin made of heavier hardened steel. Titanium isn't stronger than steel. Titanium is as strong as steel but much less dense. Titanium is interesting for aerospace applications where weight, strength and the melting point is very important. Titanium is also very expensive.

Now smart business people offer firing pins made of Titanium because Titanium sounds cooler and stronger than the boring steel. But, if you know the most important features about those two totally different metals you know right away that a firing pin made of Titanium can't be better than one made of steel. A firing pin has to have some mass the more the better and of course strength and hardness. Of course is locks up slower with an heavier FB, but how much? Can't be more than a few milliseconds.

I would call LWD to tell them what happened. I am sure they give you an refund or an Titanium FB. LWD is a great company. I would get some ammo or a magazine instead, if I were you.

#14 Made in Austria, Jan 13, 2012
  15. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

You know,

If you'll just keep that one,

You won't have to worry about additional safeties, extended slide releases, trigger connectors, stippling, grip reductions, sights, beaver tails, magazine holes, mag wells, butt plugs, guide rods, polygonal barrels, replacement springs, and all those other "Glock" problems that keep GT from becoming a ghost town. :animlol:

#15 bustedknee, Jan 13, 2012
  16. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

It's not a race gun.I've never competed.I always have to work.:crying:
    This is just the best trigger I've had buying, everyone's springs,connectors etc..Actually this was the most expensive trigger component I've bought.
    My EDC G4 26 is stock internally.

17. bentbiker

bentbiker
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Some believe that you can use a lighter FP spring to reduce the trigger pull, and then offset the reduction in FP speed by lightening its weight. Faster lockup was already mentioned by Walk Soft.

#17 bentbiker, Jan 13, 2012
  18. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

I'm only 3 for 13 there.

19. bentbiker

bentbiker
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

If his goal is to get a lighter FP, and the LW product failed because of a weak spot with all the holes, a solid Ti FP of the same weight, without the weak spot, might work just as well as his 100 rds without the tendency to fail. I'd be open minded about it.

20. Walk Soft

Walk Soft
    Expand Collapse

Without snap caps.It was a reduced power spring.I'm thinking it was just junk,over skeletonized.I was thinking it took so long to get the thing was because it was new and the yet cheapest lightweight striker available.
    Could be either or both.