Glock Talk banner

Lone Wolf Conversion Barrel .40 to 9mm for the Glock

Tags
40 cal
7K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  Seankar 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all you guys and girls out there that like to shoot the .40 S&W and or 357 Sig but like the 9mm too. Lone Wolf makes a simple drop in conversion barrel. My test subject is the Gen 4 Glock 22. Simply field strip the Glock and replace the stock barrel with the Lone Wolf conversion barrel. My Wife likes the little wolf picture engraved on the barrel. OK, so do I because it also has 40-9 on it. Good to be visually reminded that I do in fact have the conversion barrel installed. Now with a 9mm magazine load up, take aim and shoot. WOW I hit where I was aiming. Traditionally I have been at least 2 inches low shooting .40's with this gun. A couple more shots and I am not making a ragged hole but, very smooth shooting it is. Went through some magazine changes, slide locks back on empty mag, mag drops free, new mag feeds first round, very nice. Now the Wife takes over and very nice groups. Much tighter than with the .40 because she is not having to anticipate or flinch. My groups were much tighter too because of the same reasons. After the range session my Wife says, "WOW, my hand does not hurt." I had to agree. Shooting the 9mm was very easy on the hands. The Gen 4 has a rough texture with all the little square bumps on it and GRIPS very good. I do like it but after shooting the .40 my hands are feeling it. Now for someone that actually works with your hands it won't be an issue but my baby smooth ones are so sensitive. So here is the down and dirty. For ammo I was using a mixture of PMC, +P reloads and Winchester White Box. Magazines were 1 Glock 9mm, 3 Korean 9mm, 1 Glock .40 and I even tried the .40 thunder stick 30 rounder. About 85 rounds shot, the Wife had one stove pipe at first and the thunder stick failed to feed on the last round. And yes I made it THUNDER! Glock and Korean 9mm magazines so far there are no issues. Even the Glock .40 magazine loaded with 9mm will work. The thunder stick was tried just because, so it failing to feed the last round was no real surprise. Some of the brass was ejecting forward and some to the right rear. So far none to the head. My goal was not to put 100,000 rounds through it at one time. I wanted to see how it would do with magazine changes, what type of magazines would work or fail and the overall feel. I believe my Wife was pleasantly surprised with how much smoother the G22 was with the 9mm and that is the biggest challenge for the Lone Wolf. Two thumbs up.
Mike

See less See more
#4 ·
I was gonna buy a 40-9 for my G33 but instead bought it for my G23- because it will fit BOTH. It sticks out about a half inch or so, but I dont care as it gets used more. I did buy a G19 mag for the 23 and 33 conversion. Eventually, I may buy a 40-9 for my G35 and use it in my G22. I dunno, but I dig that Glocks are like Legos.

#5 ·
Headed out to the hills with a buddy to do some shooting. I did not keep track but went through a few mags of 9mm and .40. I like having the ability to shoot multiple calibers out of the same gun. My Buddy shoots the .45 1911 so this allows him to get the feel of other calibers too. My first shot with his 1911 was in the dirt. I forgot how easy the 1911 trigger is after shooting the Glock.

Made it to the range with the Wife. About 120 rounds of Remington 9mm through the 40-9 conversion barrel with the stock .40 cal recoil spring. 34 round 9mm mags no failures. G22 15 round mags will hold 17 rounds of 9mm and no failures. No failures for me but, the Wife had a couple of stove pipes so I loaded up some +P ammo and no more failures for her but she went back to the Cougar after that. Did I mention that I am really liking the conversion barrel and shooting 9mm plus having the ability to shoot .40 in less than a minute?
Mike

#8 ·
I've been thinking about getting one for my G24. It's such a soft shooter with the .40 I can imagine how smooth 9mm must feel with it.

Did you have any ejection issues? You noted one stovepipe, was that it?

Has anyone else had ejection issues with caliber conversion barrels??

#11 ·
I do believe that using weaker 9mm target ammo can cause ejection issues (stovepipes) when using the stock .40 recoil spring from the Gen 4. Using +P 9mm ammo has resulted in ZERO failures and it really makes a smooth shooting gun. In fact the recoil feels BETTER using +P 9mm ammo. The more I run it the less 9mm stovepipes my Wife is having so I believe it takes lots of shooting to break-in the stock .40 recoil spring. Dang it, now I have to do more shooting!
Mike

#13 · (Edited)
If you think that G22 feels good as a 9mm, then if you get a chance the G35 converted over to 9mm is a dream to shoot.

I love mine.

A word of advice, segregate your .40 magazines and ammo, or do some type of obvious marking; I keep mine in separate range boxes. It is very easy to get them mixed up at the range and a 9mm will chamber in a .40 barrel.

#14 ·
I use a 40 to 9 LW barrel in my Generation 2 G23, but had to change the extractor to a 9mm one to make it reliable. Still, pretty easy to do - just doesn't make for rapid caliber changes (which doesn't matter to me, 9mm is cheaper to shoot).

#15 ·
I'm really digging my 9mm conversion for the Glock 23. I went with a KKM barrel. I did have some 'stove-pipe' issues when shooting mid power 115 grn reloads with my stock recoil spring. I got a 13 lb recoil assembly from 'brass stacker' on flea-bay for about $20, all is great now. I keep my 9mm magazines marked & separate.

If one has ejection issues I'd first look to a lower power recoil spring, especially if you don't want to only shoot the hottest of ammo.

#16 ·
I'm really digging my 9mm conversion for the Glock 23. I went with a KKM barrel. I did have some 'stove-pipe' issues when shooting mid power 115 grn reloads with my stock recoil spring. I got a 13 lb recoil assembly from 'brass stacker' on flea-bay for about $20, all is great now. I keep my 9mm magazines marked & separate.

If one has ejection issues I'd first look to a lower power recoil spring, especially if you don't want to only shoot the hottest of ammo.
I guess a recoil spring is easier to change back and forth, but considering that the recoil spring in a Gen 2 .40 Glock should be fine for all powers of 9mm, it wasn't the direction I wanted to go. The new ejector solved all issues and better fits the 9mm anyway. I just did a qualification with it (3-second draw 2-fires, and 6 second draw and four fires at different targets) and it worked fine with lower powered 9mm.

I guess the question is - with that lower power recoil spring, is your weapon still safe and will it last as long when you start throwing +P through it? I know mine is fine.

#20 ·
To answer the question above, I do realize my reduced power 13 lb spring may be a little on the weak side for +p 9mm loads. Right now I'm just shooting my mid power 115 grn reloads. I wouldn't want to weak of a spring & be banging the slide more than required. If I did go up to a higher powered load I would consider a stronger spring, even if it was less than stock.

This so far was an easy fix for my situation. I think if I went with higher weight bullets/ higher pressure ammo that would of helped too. The captive springs are available from 11 or 13 lbs up to stock, so one could match one to the load without to much expense.

#21 ·
First time out this morning shooting IDPA at a local range. Used the 40-9 conversion barrel and the cheap Federal 115 gr target ammo. Flawless with the Glock brand 9mm mags. 1 failure to feed using the Glock brand .40 mag (thought I would give it a try under a little pressure) and 1 of the Korean mags does not drop free now. I have new mag springs on order since one of them stopped locking the slide back on empty. Had a blast!
Mike

#26 · (Edited)
I'm dyslexic and there's no freaking way I can read a post like that - LOL!

1) Have no experience with Lone Wolf barrels.
2) Bar-Sto, in my Sig Sauer P220/45, is very accurate and too unreliable for SD.
3) Just tested a Storm Lake G27 40-9mm conversion barrel w/G26 mag and 200 Speer GDHP 124 gr +P 9mm.
It's flawless, more accurate and ejects better than my OEM 40 barrel.

Couldn't be more pleased with Storm Lake.
Ordered a G27 357 Sig extended, dual ported, Isonite QPQ finish barrel that ships this Friday.
Going to have a personal 9mm/357 shootout!

that is all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.