close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Loking for a good Home Defense S.G.

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by wje1, Apr 21, 2010.

1. wje1

wje1

Mar 12, 2010
    Pensacola
    I am looking to buy a good home defense shotgun that does not kick to much. I have shot Remington 870's and Mossbergs before but the reason that I want to try to find something with a little less recoil is that I just recently had shoulder surgery on my dominant arm and they did all kinds of weird things to it(moved my biceps for one, look like Popeye now:).
    I just want to make sure that I can get something that will do the job if it comes down to it but at the same time not send me back to the hospital.:supergrin:

Semper Fi

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/350/products_id/16597

DB .380

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Feb 18, 2010
    GA&WY
    PGO shotguns are for you! lol, no..I'm kidding.

Umm, maybe go down in caliber? 20 Gauge is nice. 16 is okay.
    I prefer the 20 to the 16 just because ammo availability.
    You could also just buy the 12 Gauge and customize it with a butt pad and less recoil ammunition. Sorry if I'm wording this badly but I have a bunch of morons surrounding me yelling how fat the cat is...ARGH...
    lol, I hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010

3. demented

demented

Aug 4, 2005
    Perhaps a Knoxx recoil reduction stock? That or going to reduced recoil loads, a semi-auto or a 20 ga are about all the options. Knoxx or perhaps it should be Blackhawk makes a traditional style recoil reduction stock that has my attention, haven't yet decided to fork over the money.

4. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Yeah, with a shoulder injury a 20 gauge with a knoxx recoil reducing stock may be a wise choice?

I'd say a semi auto like my Mossberg 930 SPX but while its gas system and recoil spring does absorb alot of recoil...it still would hurt a bum shoulder I think?

My Benelli SNT has the comfort tech stock but it too, I feel would still hurt a bum shoulder.

5. What about replacing the butt stock with a pistol grip? I have a bad shoulder but can still shoot the standard shoulder stock. I can shoot my Mossberg 930 SPX all day with no trouble. With my Remington 870 I shoot the load bass target loads for practice but for home defense it’s loaded with low recoil 00 buck. If God forbid the BG is kicking in your door at 3:00 in the morning and you have to defend yourself and your family you will never feel the recoil.

6. Given your current medical condition I'd skip shooting shotguns until you heal up.

If you really want a long gun for home defense I'd suggest a carbine if some sort.

7. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    Tuck the stock under your arm.

8. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Look at the Remington 20ga Tactical models with the Knoxx SpecOps on them. Recoil becomes a non issue.

9. What Vafish said. I loved my shotgun, but after trashing my shoulder I've gone to a carbine for HD duty. I can still use the shotgun if I need to do so, but why take the chance on further damage unless you absolutely have to? An M1 carbine, a Mini-14 or AR-15, or one of the pistol caliber carbines available will do a good job for you without exacerbating the shoulder problem.