close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Locking Block Plating Wearing Off

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by hearsedriver, May 29, 2012.

1. I noticed tonight that the plating is wearing off of my Gen 4 19 locking block, mainly on the top side. This gun has about 400 rounds through it. Is this normal or anything I should be concerned about ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I'm not expert but IMO I shouldn't be an issue. Do you have a pic?

3. Picture added to OP. I do use Hoppes on the barrel but nowhere else on the gun.

4. GaryC

GaryC

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    Absolutely normal and I only clean my Glock frames with a dry brush and Q-Tips ;)

5. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    Doesn't look like much has came off, I wouldn't sweat it.

6. Mine looks the same and it will only wear to a certain point and stop. It is normal.

7. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

May 24, 2012
    Tampa,Florida
    I polished mine and do not have any wear. When I clean it, I do rub across it with oily finger but not enough where oil is visible

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  8. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Nothing to worry about,wait till you get 10000 rounds down the pipe and you will still have nothing to worry about. SJ 40

9. curlysir

curlysir

Aug 15, 2011
    NE Texas
    My Gen 4 G17 is doing the same thing. I was searching the forum for the problem when I found this thread. I wish I could find one of the older locking blocks. My Gen 2 G19 locking block shows no sign of this type wear with a lot more rounds through it.

10. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Sep 12, 2006
    Rocking Chair
    but would it fit? They made a change back then.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Normal wear.
    Hoppes #9 will cause the plating to peel on the block & the frame
    mounted slide rails.

12. curlysir

curlysir

Aug 15, 2011
    NE Texas
    Sorry, I didn't word that correctly :embarassed: . I meant one of the earlier investment cast type locking blocks before they went to the MIM ones they are now using on the 3 pin models.

My locking block is actually flaking not just wearing off. Of all my Glocks it is the worst. The others have what I would say are normal wear. I will try to post pictures later today.

13. curlysir

curlysir

Aug 15, 2011
    NE Texas
  14. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Normal wear. And, Hoppes or not, the frame rails will eventually wear-through. Again, normal on newer Glocks (post-Y2K, anyway, but I'm not sure when the changeover took place from non-plated frame rails). No worries. Shoot the heck out of it. Proper lubrication will slightly mitigate rail wear, but it is inevitable.

15. curlysir

curlysir

Aug 15, 2011
    NE Texas
    No Hoppes here, being the only Glock I have to do this, I like the OP was concerned when I first saw the flaking. Doing some searching I find unfortunately it is normal. I have a Gen 4 G23 and a Gen 3 G22 with the same type locking block and they do not show the flaking like the G17.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  16. are those parts electroless nickel'd by GLOCK???

Bill

17. ALL GLOCK

ALL GLOCK 17 year member Millennium Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Southeast Pa.
    I dont know how that can be "normal" ? Why is the plating coming off all the parts?? If it is normal, why do they even put the "nickel " coating over the copper?? Why not just make the parts copper to begin with??
    I am glad I do not own a Glock newer than 2004... I have NONE of these problems. :(

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012