close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Local Ranges

Discussion in 'Bluegrass Glockers' started by CJStudent, Jan 1, 2012.

1. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Just out of curiousity, where does everybody shoot at? What would you all think of getting a GT group together for a range day?

2. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    In Louisville, I shoot over at Bluegrass Indoor Range. However, I've been getting more and more into calibers that they won't let me shoot there. Like 7.62, and 5.56 and slugs or buckshot for my 12 gauge. So that leaves me with Knob Creek, which is about a 45 minute drive, or Henrysville state park, which is also about 45 minutes (but free, so the price is right).

Maybe I shouldn't give away my secrets, but what goes around comes around, right? Yeah, I like Henrysville (off HWY 65 in Indiana), though I only go early in the day on weekdays to avoid crowds - it is a pretty small range. Also, Knob Creek - while cool - is a little big for my personal taste.

If only I lived in the country and could go out my back door to shoot.

Where do ya'll live?

Cheers,

p.s. my 9 y.o. usually comes shooting with me. He's shot just about all of my guns, except my Dracos and Krink (7.62 pistols).

3. cpolk

cpolk

Sep 8, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Open Range in Crestwood is also nice, just up I71. Bluegrass Indoor Range is nice as well. They just finished a remodel and expansion.

4. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    I haven't been to Bluegrass in a while; I did my CCDW class there a while back. I've been to the Clark State Forest range; it is nice for what it is. It's a little short, though, for rifles; only 100 yards or so. If I'm remembering right, Knob Creek's is 300-something yards. I just need to get my backside out and shoot some; I've got a refurb Sig that I haven't shot yet that I'm dying to!

5. NkySpike

NkySpike

May 1, 2011
    Kentucky
    Has any of you been to Randy's Range in Sparta, KY? http://www.randysrange.com/

I have been there once for my CCDW class... It's all outside ,225 yard outdoor target range.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Might have to check that one out!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. NkySpike

NkySpike

May 1, 2011
    Kentucky

Best to "click" on direction on his website. They renamed his street, so GPS will mess you up.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  8. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Thanks for the heads up!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. jbarnes85

jbarnes85

Feb 3, 2012
    I'm like Louisville Glocker I go to knob creek, TG&G, Heneryville state park. But there is a new tactical range in Sellersburge, IN but don't know if it's open to the public I went there with Louisville Sheriffs department. There is also a range that opened in I think Borden, IN that has a few 1000 yard lanes. Will post the address when I find it. Haven't been there yet.

Knob creek has gone down hill unless you have a membership. They have range officers that are d**ks now and you shot for 15 mins then have to wait 30 mins before you can shot for 15 mins again. But a membership is only $100/year and you can use the lower pistol range which is set up for practical pistol comps and the lower rifle range which is 250 yards with no range officers.

10. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Good to know; I was planning on heading down there this afternoon if it warms up.

11. GenoTac Ind.

GenoTac Ind. |KYDEX GEAR>

Jun 22, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Where do you work Barnes? I might know you. Is the Louisville Sheriffs Department a new agency? And do they pay better than Jefferson County Sheriffs Office? Ands can you take guest with you to that tacticool range?

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I basically don't shoot at all anymore except for semi-annual rifle and pistol qualification. I need to start back. I'm thinking about Anderson County, but I missed the chance to join. I bought a Browning Hi Power at Bud's Saturday and I don't even have a place to try it out without paying Bud's outrageous price and waiting in the 2-hour long line.

Franklin Co. is close to me, but they have jacked the price up far beyond what they offer (the entire rifle/pistol section is a 2-car wide driveway).

13. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    I've heard good things about BGSL in Wilmore.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I might check that out too - $15 a day is a lot better than $20 an hour to shoot indoors (I hate indoor shooting more than paying $20 an hour).

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    It is the best facility in KY, but they keep raising the price, so I finally just quit. I was a member there for several years and shot there at least once a month. It's an hour's drive, so I only went for matches and matches are open to non-members.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  16. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Good to know. I started working in Lexington last year, and I've heard a bit about it from coworkers that at least used to do competitions down there.

17. 8th ID

8th ID

May 2, 2009
    KY
    Bren & CJStudent--

Bud's in Lexington is HIGH on their range fees, but if you're willing to pay it and can get over there in the a.m. there is NEVER a line when they open at 9 a.m. through the week.

BGSL in Wilmore is where I do most of my shooting as a NON-MEMBER. They have monthly IDPA, Steel Challenge, USPSA, and a yearly GSSF. ALL can be shot by non-members. This past Saturday we had 57 shooters at the IDPA match. I used to work with the guy who is IDPA match director out there. He does a d*&% good job at setting the stages up, etc.

IF you want to drive to Paris, you can shoot at Smokin' Guns/Jet Guns for $5 per half hour!!

18. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Thanks; I get the LE rate at Buds, which I think is $7.50 or so I was told by a coworker that shoots there fairly often (first name basis with most of the employees there).

19. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    Well, I went to Knob Creek today for the first time in a few years.

Positive changes: Safety on the line is LOTS better than it used to be. Weapons are checked for clear and put off-limits before anyone goes downrange. If you get stupid, you're gone.

Neutral: Chamber flags required for every gun. I think they're making quite a bit of money on those (there's no way those cost anywhere near the 50 cents they charge per flag), though I understand the point of making damn sure the chamber is clear between strings.

Not so good: Apparently, now the military discount only applies to Active Duty; National Guard and Reserves need not apply (even though the ID is identical.........).

All in all, though, it was a good day. The staff were fairly friendly and helpful (especially considering it was busy as can be; seemed odd for mid-day on a Monday), enough so that I may be back soon to do some horse-trading on an Arsenal SLR106UR (aka high-end expensive AK, lol)!