close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Loading up gas

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by mc_oliver, Aug 26, 2004.

1. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Feb 21, 2002
    Philippines
    Hey guys, do you turn your egines off when you do this?

Any known and documented dangers of leaving the engine running?

Just curious.

Thanks.

2. riddler

riddler

Jan 19, 2001
    Here in the States, you are required to turn off your car when refueling.

3. Kiddo

Kiddo

Jun 14, 2003
    Most jeepneys that I see load up gas w/o turning off their engines. Hindi rin naman pinapansin ng mga attendants kahit na may sign na 'turn off engine while refueling'. ;g

4. ReccaH

ReccaH Let's Play

Oct 10, 2002
    Manila
    Even with celphone usage they don't bother to caution.

5. PMMA97

PMMA97 MNSAmessdetail

Nov 25, 2003
    Subic Bay, Philippines
    In my 4 years of working in Illinois. I never did turn off my engine while gassing up. Minsan may nakasabay pa akong state police umaandar din makina nya. Lalo na kapag winter and mahina ang battery mo;g

6. jecht_sphere

jecht_sphere

Aug 12, 2004
    Quezon City
    nope. 4 yrs na car ko, but i dnt remember turning it off while i gas up.

but i dnt use my celphone though. mas delikado yata ang cell according to news

7. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    California
    Always turned on. Init kasi eh, baho naman nung gas kung bukas yung bintana. ;f

8. I turn off the engine.

Lumalabas kasi ako at nag-iinspect ng mga gulong at wipers. Baka masalisihan, manakaw pa kotse ko. ;)

9. cznayr

cznayr Dis-member

Jun 14, 2004
    always kept it running.Don't know the rationale behind it, so I don't follow it. Init din kasi :cool:

10. julianz

julianz toxic master

Sep 24, 2003
    sand castle
    i always turn my engine off, walked out of the car checked the tires and to stretched my legs specially on long trip. But i always locked the doors and my pt111 keeps me company.

11. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Feb 21, 2002
    Philippines
    I've always thought requirement din to turn off the engine so I've been doing it. Lately, I've knwon quite a few who doesn't kaya na-curious ako. Kala ko kasi baka sumabog kotse mo or something. ;f

Thanks guys.

12. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    I used to turn my engine off when I was driving a gasoline-powered vehicle, but with my current diesel ride, I keep the engine running... feeling jeepney driver :)

I think the policy is borne out of fears that the fumes from the fuel will cause an explosion if they reach the spark-producing parts of the car's combustion system. I don't know how true this is though. Still, I feel safer keeping the engine on with a diesel-fed vehicle because the fuel doesn't ignite as easily.

13. riddler

riddler

Jan 19, 2001
    Just because one state police officer did not do anything about it (also violating the very law that he is supposed to enforce) does not mean that you shouldn't take steps to insure your (and family's) safety. ;g ;g Check the link out:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=163,172&sid=172&article=3137

but then again, I have always been overly-cautious....;f

14. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Aug 11, 2003
    Philippines
    Ditto, IMO Diesel's higher flash point makes an explosion unlikely. Besides I usually have my wife or my kid as passengers. Turning off the vehicle means turning off the aircon and making them go down. Magaaway lang kami;f ;f ;f

15. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Nov 14, 2001
    Delta Quadrant
    Same here. I'm more apprehensive about the security of the car. I just use the time to inspect tire pressure.

16. bagito

bagito tanod

Mar 7, 2004
    london
    mas mainit pag nagliyab kotse mo.he.he.he.;f ;f peace bro;z

17. Saruman

Saruman I carry a GLOCK

Dec 9, 2002
    Middle Earth
    According to snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp

Click on link above for complete explanation.

Claim: Static electricity is the cause of an increase in gas station refuelling fires.

* Static electricity can cause fires at gas stations: True.
    * Static electricity was actually the cause of a number of gas station refuelling fires: Undetermined.

Origins: Unlike many Internet-circulated warnings, there is a fair bit to this one — fires at gas pumps are on the rise, and static electricity is considered one of the likely culprits in this increase. However, there's a great deal wrong with the e-mailed summary quoted as the example above, a situation which illustrates the danger of accepting as gospel whatever turns up in the inbox. We'll take you through it, sorting information from misinformation.

Even reports that maintain that "static-induced fires are well documented" point out that no case of a fire triggered by a cell phone -- a commonly-cited cause of gas station fires — has ever been confirmed:

During recent months, reports of flash fires during refueling have increased so much that industry executives and engineers find it necessary to alert the public. BP Amoco has posted an advisory on its Web site, and other gasoline retailers are considering pump-side warnings similar to QT's. The incidents most often involve flames shooting from a vehicle's gas tank opening. The primary culprit appears to be static electricity.

In many cases, the victims got in and out of their vehicles during fueling. Rubbing against fabric creates an electric charge just like the one that causes a shock when you touch something metal after shuffling across carpet.

Injuries have included burns and singed hair. At least one woman was killed when she removed a flaming nozzle from a gas tank and accidentally doused herself with gasoline, according to Bob Renkes, executive vice president of the Petroleum Equipment Institute.

Considering that Americans pump gasoline into their cars more than 16 billion times per year, flash fires at the tank are rare. Metro Atlantans have even less to worry about. Since the region doesn't meet federal air quality standards, gas pumps here are required to have vapor recovery systems that suck the gasoline fumes back into the nozzle. Travel season is near, however, so Atlantans should still beware.

Unlike recent warnings about cell phones igniting fires at gas pumps — a case of which has never been confirmed — the static-induced fires are well documented.

18. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    People are advised not to get back inside their vehicles while charging, especially during winter where static electricity is at the most. Di baleng ginawin ako sa labas kesa naman mainitan ako sa loob pag nasusunog na ang kotse ko. Hirap kasi dito sa Cali walang pump boy.

But static electricity doesn't have anything to do with leaving the engine on.

vega

19. pipit

pipit

Nov 17, 2003
    heed the advise of saruman and vega. don't take your chance because once it starts, it will be difficult to contain.