close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Loading dummy rounds - primers?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by gwalchmai, Jul 29, 2012.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

I need to load up a dozen dummy .45 ACP rounds to practice reloading moonclips and dry firing. I'd like to put something in the primer pocket to cushion the firing pins. I've tried just leaving the spent primers but they seem to drive in and disappear after awhile. Anyone tried silicone caulk or some kind of liquid rubber? Any other ideas?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Making a faux primer out of some hard nylon or other plastic and pressing it in the primer pocket is what I would do. Of course I have the equipment to make them. Some snap caps use a type of plastic where the firing pin hits the case.

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

I wonder if JB Weld would work. Probably be a mess to work with. Maybe some of that solid two-part epoxy.

4. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

I thought of JB weld. Its tough but also gets kinda hard. You could always roughen up the primer pocket on a couple of cases and give the JB weld a try.

You also could get some liquid hard 2 part pourable plastic as well and pour it into the primer pocket. Although it is a little costly and I don't know how well it would stay in the primer pocket.

5. Keoking

Keoking
    Expand Collapse

Buy some Snap Caps?

But seriously, maybe you could drip something into a spent primer to toughen it up, then prime it into a used case. Remove the thing in the primer first (anvil?), so you have a nice open space to work with.

6. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

Find some 45 with a small primer pocket. Get some erasers that will fit in the primer pocket and glue them in, and cut them off flush. The ones I did are still holding up after two years of mild use. Also using nickel plated brass helps in finding them among the spent brass cases.

7. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

:wavey:
    I want the dummies to weigh the same as loaded rounds so I can better simulate reloading the loaded moonclips.

Yes, I have some SPP brass, and erasers. Also I have some plastic bumpers that might work. Will try and report results.

BTW, and you guys probably know this, but keeping your charge holes polished really helps moonclips slide in and out. Mine get hung up if they're gunky.

8. samurairabbi

samurairabbi
    Expand Collapse
    Dungeon Schmuck

Get snap caps, for a SAFETY reason.

The rule I follow: Dummy rounds should be INSTANTLY differentiable from actual ammo in a cold situation in class or on a range. Dummy rounds made from standard components fail this criterion; it is too easy for a mixup to cause disaster. At the very least, use colored non-bullets if you want to use actual cases; that is what my local PD does for its training dummy rounds.

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

As I explained, snap caps will not meet my needs. I appreciate your concerns but I am perfectly capable of making dummy rounds and using them safely. Your local PD has other criteria it must meet.

Thank you.

#9 gwalchmai, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  10. Decguns

Decguns
    Expand Collapse

I fill the primer pockets with red RTV (insta-gaskette). Last a long time. If they fall out, a tube will fill 100s of primer pockets. $2 a Wal-Mart.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

RTV SEALANT works great. Over fill it. Let it dry, cut it with a razor.

12. country85

country85
    Expand Collapse

Be sure to get the gray or the black RTV, I had trouble keeping the Blue not sticking in the case and falling out

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. I did use the black.

14. SPIN2010

SPIN2010
    Expand Collapse
    Searching ...

This works for me in great fashion! Man, those reloaders ... on top of stuff. :wavey:

15. m2hmghb

m2hmghb
    Expand Collapse

I used pieces of pencil eraser in them. If you are anal about dummy rounds you can paint the bullet or drill holes in the case.

16. sig357fan

sig357fan
    Expand Collapse

I made some up using aluminum cases I found at the range, easy to I.D. if they get mixed in with brass.

I drilled the primer pocket/flash hole just under the size of a machanical pencil eraser, seated a bullet, shot in a dab of RTV and stuck the eraser in until it made contact with the bottom of the seated bullet, let it sit awhile for the RTV to cure and cut the eraser flush with the bottom of the case.

sig357fan

17. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

^^^ THIS ^^^

I've made about a 100 of these over the past few years. I take a yellow or red paint pen and make a stripe around the bullet as an identifier.

18. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

I also cleaned the inside of the case mouth then ran some JB Weld around the inside of the case mouth before seating the bullet. Helps after many times through the gun, in preventing in getting shorter COL.

#18 unclebob, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  19. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

Your local PD department has guys who don't touch their guns until time for their annual shooting requirement.

I have 30 rounds that I made up that I use for my dry fire practice. I don't have ANY primers in them, but I have a Glock dry fire kit which resets and everything. But does NOT activate the striker. It is marked (by the manufacturer) with a permanent red dot on the trigger.
    If I see that red dot, I know I'm good to go, gun *cannot* shoot.

I do this, so my gun is as heavy as it is in competition, plus my magazines are "fully loaded" weight, so mag change practice is as authentic as possible.

Snap caps are **** in a semi-auto. They are plastic, and get chewed up in short time if you cycle them through the gun. They don't want to eject easily. I'll take my all metal dummy rounds all day.

You have to be smarter than the tools you are using. And always aware of the inherent dangers of guns/ammo, etc.

20. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Mombo
    Millennium Member

Yup, silicone caulk works great. Put it in, level it with a razor blade after it sets up.

I've used some shotshells for practice done with silicone in the primer hole and they've lasted for several years and the silicone is still in great condition.

Several of my buddies have also done this and everyone sees it as an excellent solution for making practice rounds.

You have good intuition!