close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Loaded rounds tumbled

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by justinsaneok, Sep 16, 2011.

1. justinsaneok

justinsaneok

Jul 13, 2010
    Looking at some chrono data Win brass cci#500 5.2 grains 231 under 165 gr rainier
    I tumbled these after they where loaded. Seems really inconsistent. I don't think I will do that again.

2. justinsaneok

justinsaneok

Jul 13, 2010
    I weigh charges with OCD repetitiveness. So it must be from tumbling right?

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Not necessarily. So we will assume 40s&w? Are you using mixed brass & or mixed times loaded? Even brass of the same manuf will vary in internal volumn & ductility (neck tension). Diff manuf will vary more. So having 30-50fps vel spreads isn't that odd, especially w/ reduced power loads, which yours are not, but variations still occur.:dunno:
    BTW, I'm not big on tumbling loaded ammo, but that is me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  4. justinsaneok

justinsaneok

Jul 13, 2010
    .40 s&w yes. All Winchester brass, some have been loaded more than once. I won't be tumbling loaded ones again and will chrono some more this weekend to see if it makes a difference. Plus I switched to Rainier 165 gr hollow points and want to see if the chrono way different. They are really accurate, seems better than their flat nose.

5. TPK

TPK

Mar 13, 2008
    Quesnel, B.C.
    My understanding is that tumbling (or using a vibratory cleaner) on ammunition runs the risk of the powder (depending on the type) turning into .. powder .. in other words you change the characteristics of the powder. If using say a IMR4350 or other extruded powders .. it could crumble or "powder" into smaller pieces and your may see pressure spiks as a result. I can't see say H110 getting much finer .. but ya never know.

6. justinsaneok

justinsaneok

Jul 13, 2010
    Ya I think thats what happened.:crying:

7. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    I haven't tumbled loaded ammo before, but I have some really dirty cartridges that need it, or shoot the dirty stuff and buy new.

I don't weigh loaded ammo. Too much variance between them all. I don't even separate casings by make anymore.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    ... Not this again.

9. justinsaneok

justinsaneok

Jul 13, 2010
    What do you mean Indy?

10. steve4102

steve4102

Jan 2, 2009
    There was a guy over at the AR forum that ran some pretty extensive tests on tumbled ammo. He took pictures of the powder before and after through a Microscope. Some of his ammo was tumbled for days, he found no visual signs of deterioration and no difference in performance between tumbled or not.

11. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    He means is an old reloaders wives tale. It doesn't happen.... Tumbling reloaded rounds, won't change anything unless of course you do it in a wet tumbler.
    I've checked my own rounds prior and after tumbling still have very tight SD's
    Like Fred said 30-50 isn't that unusual.... you say you take great care in reloading your rounds, every single one? Depending on the powder during the course of your loading session you can have very slight variances in your powder drop depending on the powder. Talking 4.3 or 3.8 as opposed to a target of 4.0
    One thing that red lighted me was your using Rainier bullets. I have never cared for them and prefer X-treme or Berry's. They were alway inconsistent in any caliber I loaded with.

12. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Factory loaded rounds are tumbled. Tumbling load rounds 10 to 15 minutes is not going to do anything to the powder. There has been many a test on this. Nothing happens. Load up 20 rounds throw 10 of them in the tumbler and tumble for 30 minutes. On the same day and time chronograph the rounds. You will find that there is no difference. Why is it that when you tumble brass for cleaning that the outside is nice any shine and the inside of the case still looks the same? You put powder in the case and seat a bullet on top the powder it has very little or no run to move around. I think Dillon did a test and lasted for like 3 days with no changes. You do not want to tumble hollow point bullets media gets stuck in the opening. Put to tumble rounds to get the sizing lube off for 15 minutes is not going to do a thing to the powder.

13. justinsaneok

justinsaneok

Jul 13, 2010
    I'm loading on a 550. so every round no. I did polish the funnel and measure, keep the measure half full the whole time, I tap the measure till it can't settle any more. Then I through 10 charges a few times like if 5 gr goal is 50. I do that a few times. Check a few single throughs. Then I check every once and a while to make sure no powder is building up on the funnel. I think I will try some different bullets next time I order. I'm using 231 and it meters well. I thought 30 to 50 was horrible.:dunno: So it's not from tumbling now I have more problems.

14. I tumble all my reloads. Also tumble milsurp 223 and 308. No problems. YMMV

15. justinsaneok

justinsaneok

Jul 13, 2010
    I see a few have tested this. Seems my problem is somewhere else.:dunno:

16. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    How well do they shoot? If they are accurate don’t worry about it.

17. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    You really need to compare the numbers to untumbled loads to be all scientific and stuff or whatever. :whistling:

Wonder how many hours in a tumbler would correlate to riding around in my 4-Runner for several years in an ammo can...

18. RRTX11

RRTX11

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Texas
    Zombie Steve hit the nail on the head. With same load and components you would need to compare tumbled to untumbled with same environmental factors and analyze that data before you made an assumption.

Are you using flat nosed, round nosed or hollow points?
    I have dillon carbide dies. I took apart my seating die to essentially see what makes it work and to clean it. The actual seating plate is universal for seating flat nosed and hollow points, and round nosed. I was loading RN, but when taking it apart, I think it was facing torward the flat nosed. I switched to FMJ soon afterwards and my chrono data started being more consistent variations.

19. justinsaneok

justinsaneok

Jul 13, 2010
    More on this after the weekend when I get my hands on a chrono Steve. Unclebob they are so accurate it's ridiculous. That or the dryfire practice and drilling is really paying off.

20. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    So don’t be a dog chasing its tale. If they are accurate the rest does not mean anything. You are punching holes in paper.