Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

List best barter Items to gain access to farm during SHTF.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by dennis3dflyer, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dennis3dflyer

Feb 20, 2007
    OK so lets say a City Prepper wants to collect the best barter goods that can be used to gain access to a farm/home when shtf.

Prefer the lighter smaller the better.

I,m thinking

Heriloom seeds.

Kit to convert most wells to hand pump. anyone have an idea on where to get this?

Mountain House like dehidrated food 3 to 12 months for all on farm 2 plus families.

Firearms and Ammo.

Cash, Gold, Silver to buy supplies, ect.

Security & general Labor

I see alot of people having 5 to 40 acres and have none of the above items that I could bug out to and strike a deal with.

What tempting , needed items could I store that would sway these type of landowners to allow me an extended stay? Not on what I need to bring for myself/family sleeping gear ect. but on what the Host/Family Farmer/Landowner will need for them to allow me access to their land and home.

Thanks Dennis
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    LABOR! I wouldn't take in anyone for gold or cash or what ever on our farm. After while they will start to think it's theirs because they "bought" it. I'm not real sure I'd let anyone come up the road armed either, specially if I don't know you.

All these people who think they will just barter or work their way into a community after an event are sadly mistaken. I'm not real sure just owning 5 acres of land will help ya because no one will know you or care that you bought a part of the ole Smith farm.

3. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    Medical supplies and gold/silver. Maybe some cool explosives. Basically things that I cant stockpile legally now.

But you still wont get in unless you can convince me you are trustworthy and will pull your share of the work.
  4. porschedog

Sep 29, 2009
  5. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Who/how many on this forum are actually farmers?
  6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  7. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    ME. Well I fall in that gentleman farmer area.
    Other than diesel fuel and a strong back not much.
  8. Modern farms run on diesel. We also need fertilizers and herbicides. Take all that away from us and we aren't too much better then city folks. Except we do have land, know where the best soil is and have a fair understanding of growing stuff. Where farmers have a advantage is we store large quantities of stuff, such as diesel, seed etc. Of course our stockpile depends completely on the time of the year.

Their probably isn't much you can bring to the table, heirloom seeds would be nice. Security to guard items, labor for certain work. In all honesty modern farms are designed around not needing workers, take away the moderness and labor will be needed on some things. I guess if times are bad a sense of humor and someone pretty to look at might be worth their weight in gold.

I'd look pretty favorably on anyone who showed up with a diesel gen set. If it's a super volcano, meteor strike, even a pandemic, farmers are just as screwed as anyone.
  9. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    How about draft horses and horse drawn implements?
  10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Or steam engines.'08.
  11. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I have owned teams of horses and horse drawn implements for most of my adult life. its a hobby. You can't do as much in a day with a good team as you do in a hour with a tractor. Harness makers are a dieing breed. My last set of harness cost me $1500 and took almost two months to get made. Besides how many city boys have a team of horses in their back yard?
  12. 20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    Why not just spend all that money on some land of your own?
  13. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Hey fellow. You got a FILE so I can sharpen this saw, tool, implement......
  14. If things get so bad that we are using draft horses to till the ground then the human population will have crashed to such a number that I'm sure land will be as common as air. Find a nice fertile spot and go to farming. Farmers are what 1.5 to 2% of the population. Kill off 90% of the population, not many of us farmers around.
  15. Dexters

May 3, 2004
    Thanks for saying that - too often we get comments that rural folks are somehow immune to the same vagaries as city people.
  16. nightwolf1974

May 20, 2006
    Ammo, fuel, medical supplies, medical training, mechanic skills, labor skills, carpenter skills, hunting skills, vetanary skills, or any skills they lack or that in short supply.

Remember, offering food to a farmer might not cut the mustard. And offering your wife, daughter, or sister in trade might offend them.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  17. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Maybe the medical stuff, but most farmer types I know already have those other skills covered.
  18. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Tobacco, Sugar, Coffee, Salt, Pepper, Alcohol, Ammo.
  19. nightwolf1974

May 20, 2006
    True, BUT after an extended time and possible illness, injury, aging, or death in the family or group, they MAY be open to some of what I suggested.