close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

linux grep error

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by grantglock, Aug 6, 2004.

1. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

Feb 20, 2004
    Iowa
    when i try and run the command grep i get a one word error, has anyone ever seen this before?

[root@win-4-u log]# cat messages | grep anything
    Aborted
    [root@win-4-u log]#

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Try it the other way (you would have won the "useless use of cat" award with that one)

grep anything messages

See if it's cat or grep giving you heartburn.

DanH

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    grantglock, what is your linux ver? Did you make changes to the base distribution? "Aborted" is not an error message that comes from either 'cat' or 'grep', so it appears to be generated by the system. If you run 'cat' on some other file, what happens? What if you run 'grep' on some other file?

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    My guess is an updated library without updating the file management stuff or visa-versa.

DanH

5. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

Feb 20, 2004
    Iowa
    cat works fine, it's grep that causes the Aborted error. The system is Red Hat 9. I have not updated anything lately. Maybe the Red Hat network messed it up. Last time i used it was over a month ago. I thought i used grep since then though.

6. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Apr 14, 2004
    Mucus City, USA
    If there's another copy of grep on your system, try using the absolute path to a copy isn't in your environmental path settings.

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    RedHat 9 has end-of-life'd. Update to Fedora Core 2. You've got a library error somewhere. As TennSlim said, see if you have another version of grep somewhere, preferably a static one and try that one.

DanH

8. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

Feb 20, 2004
    Iowa
    update:

I noticed that one of the drives had failed about a month ago (using RAID 5) so I was going to rebuild that drive, when I went to shut down the machine, errors started coming up everywhere, nothing descriptive but the same Aborted error.

Computer won't even boot now.

I used the Knoppix cd to mount the filesystem and copied mail spools and /home to another computer until I can rebuild the failed computer using Fedora 2. Freaking nightmare. This is a mail / DNS server that has about 2500 Internet customers on it so I've been here since 4:00AM getting us back up and running. Only 2 hours downtime, not so bad.

I wish our company would spend the money for a backup server I can switch to when things like this happen.