close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Limiting Magazine Capacity

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SD Handgunner, Oct 25, 2012.

1. SD Handgunner

SD Handgunner
    Expand Collapse

This title may seem a bit strange to most as most are looking for ways to increase magazine capacity thus the reason for choosing certain firearms to begin with. Please bear with me as I try to explain.

I have a Glock Model 21SF that I truely love. I think it is a great handgun. I have hunted Whitetail Deer with Single Shot Speciality Handguns since 1982. In all those years I have used a variety of different open sighted handguns as sort of a back up weapon for close range work in thick cover where a scoped single shot would not be the best choice etc.

I am have been contemplating either using +P .45 ACP Ammo and or converting the Glock 21SF to .45 Super to enable me to shoot some of the various Buffalo Bore offerings in .45 Super. My problem and the reason for this posting is as follows.

South Dakota law states that for a Cartridge to be legal for Handgun Hunting Whitetail Deer it must be factory rated to produce a minimum of 500 FtLbs of Energy at the Muzzle (several +P offerings meet this requirement as well as .45 Super offerings). However the other part of the South Dakota law states that for an Autoloading Cartridge to be legal for use in South Dakota for Hunting of Whitetail Deer it must only be capable of holding 6 cartridges.

In talking with my local Conservation Officer (who is a good friend of mine) he tells me that if I can permenantly modify a couple Glock 10 round magazines to only hold 5 rounds (and only have those modified magazinese in my possession while hunting) I would meet the magazine capacity requiement.

My question is simply what would be the best easiest method of let's say modifying a 10 round Glock Model 21 Magazine to only hold 5 rounds (5 rounds plus one in the chamber would meet the 6 round capacity requirement)?

Sorry for being long winded.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Larry

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 SD Handgunner, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. viper144

viper144
    Expand Collapse

Can't you make a spacer (plug) to put in the bottom of the magazine that only allows the follower to go down enough to hold the 5 rounds. Either make a solid plug and cut off the spring some, or put some thin pieces of plastic along the inside of the mag that stops the follower at the point you want. Would be similar to a shotgun plug.

3. stolenphot0

stolenphot0
    Expand Collapse
    RTF2 Addict

I would say to do that you will need to either cut coil springs (or maybe a spring from a subcompact magazine) and build a plug to insert into the magazine tube. Once you have it feeding and working reliably, then epoxy the plug into place, then epoxy the mag plate into place.

4. JBS

JBS
    Expand Collapse

So, unlike a shotgun that can have a removable plug to get to three rounds for game birds if it is a S/A handgun the round limiter must be “permanent” ?
    You can epoxy a restrictor rod up through the floor plate and insert. Once you do this the base will not come off. A 1/8 inch rod should clear the spring to the bottom of the follower Ok. Ask him if that will work.

5. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

Maybe modify a mag baseplate with a 8-32, 10-32 or 1/4-28 bolt sticking up the middle to limit the follower travel only allowing 6 rounds to fit. Maybe have an aluminum or steel mag base made which is drilled and tapped for the screw and can be adjustable. The baseplates are not hard to machine. The mag spring will deflect some but it may work. If you try cutting the spring and messing with the tension you experience issues with feeding.

6. freekshow001

freekshow001
    Expand Collapse

Put a rivet in the back of your magazine to prevent the follower from going all the way down. That's what they do up here in Canada to make 33rnd mags legal for10rnd restriction.

7. SD Handgunner

SD Handgunner
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback and ideas guys. I took my 13 round magazine apart and looked it over. The spring is not the same dimension from end to end with the top end of the spring being much smaller. I actually like the idea of the rivit in the rear and will explore that option. Thanks for the replies.

Larry

8. JBS

JBS
    Expand Collapse

If you use the rivet method you may have to counter sink the head into the plastic for clearance in the mag well.

9. dhgeyer

dhgeyer
    Expand Collapse

Instead of a rivet, how about a piece of plastic maybe 1/16" thick, about as wide as the inside of the mag, epoxied or superglued into place? Doesn't have to go all the way to the bottom. Just tall enough for a good bond shouldn't interfere with the spring.

10. diamondd2

diamondd2
    Expand Collapse

Paul at Arms and Ammo in NJ pins 17rd Glock 17mags to 15rds for NJ folk. In sure he can modify some G21 mags for you.

Website is WWW.colddeadhands.com

#10 diamondd2, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  11. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Someone who is already is modifying Glock magazines might well be worth the money especially if a once in a decade, trophy type animal is encountered.

12. stolenphot0

stolenphot0
    Expand Collapse
    RTF2 Addict

a rivet is a pretty good idea. simple too.

13. SD Handgunner

SD Handgunner
    Expand Collapse

Thanks I sent Arms and Ammo an e mail.

Larry

14. kashdaddy

kashdaddy
    Expand Collapse
    Glockaholic

how about filling the bottom of the mag with snap caps and the top with live rounds - hahahaha.

15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Just why is there a six-round limit in SD anyway? Is there a good reason for it?

16. freekshow001

freekshow001
    Expand Collapse

A rivet also doesn't permanently alter the magazine, simply drill out the rivet to go back to original.

17. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl
    Expand Collapse

Actually not a bad idea and then you don't have to modify your mag

Sent from my phone booth

18. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Why? We use easily removeable plugs in shotgun magazines to meet these requirements. Unless his state is different, hunters have always used temporary plugs like Remington supplies from the factory.

19. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Then it can still be loaded with live rounds - if it was just a mattter of only loading 6 rounds, you wouldn''t have to change the capacity.

20. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

Have the magazine engraved:

"By Law, This Magazine is Limited to 5 Rounds".

Have it engraved just below the "LEO Use Only".

:animlol: