close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Lightweight boltcarrier

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ottomatic, Jan 3, 2011.

1. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    I just finished building a lightweight AR at 5 3/4 lbs w/empty 20 rd mag, Burris Fastfire2, and a 90 lumen light (not the brightest, but maybe the lightest REAL light). A buddy and I were just looking at it and trying to figure out if one can lower the weight any more without going to exotic materials. He suggested a lightweight boltcarrier. I have access to a machinist who coud probably get some weight off it for very little money.
    The question is: would a lighter boltcarrier require a lighter buffer or a heavier one? My guess would be a lighter one.

Who has a good guess or (preferably) a physics/engineering background to help out?

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    IMHO, you'd need a lighter buffer because the bolt carrier would not have the same energy to travel to the rear.

*deleted partial thread*

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

3. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    You can buy them premade. They are designed for the competition crowd. Click Me

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Boomhower nailed it,

Give JP Enterprises a call, explain your needs and get proven results. I would suggest get their bolt and buffer.

5. ottomatic

ottomatic

Oct 15, 2002
    SW Tennessee
    I appreciate the replies. I looked at the link and that appears to be a good bolt carrier, but I don't want to lose the forward assist function. This whole rifle has been an interesting project. The optics are a must as she is cross eye-dominant, but has other problems trying to shoot left handed.
    I actually have the results I wanted, at this point additional weight loss is more of a game than anything else. The only limiting factors are I don't want to use exotic materials such as carbon fiber and titanium, and I want the cost to stay reasonable. So far I'm in the mid $800 range including the optics and light.

6. Halojumper

Halojumper

Mar 18, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    I think it would be just the opposite, that you'd need the same or heavier buffer. Look at it this way. Since no mention was made of changing the gas system, I am assuming that it is the same. If it is the same and the bolt it lighter, it will be moving rearward faster. It's a lot like when you lighten a slide or use more powerful ammo in a handgun. In those cases, people us heavier springs, not lighter. Remember, the mass of the bolt/slide contributes to the inertia that controls the movement.

7. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    Wrong concerning the lightened slides part.

If you run a lighter bolt carrier you can use a lighter not a heavier buffer. If you lighten the carrier and use a heavier buffer you didnt gain a thing.

I use a JP light stainless carrier and a Firebird/PMT Ti carrier in my competition rilfes. Less moving mass means less sight movement on recoil.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Correct,......lighter buffer to control the lighter carrier......less moving mass requires less buffing.

Make sense? :dunno: :rofl:

9. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    If you run a light carrier and buffer you really ought to use an adjustable gas block too. With the standard unit you'll be overgassed.

10. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    Every adjustable gas block I have had (JP and PRI) ended up being full open. So I went with a normal gas block. One less thing to break.