close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lights on Personal Vehicles

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by golls17, May 3, 2012.

1. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

Last I heard, they were verboten, at least for my institution. I don't remember where in policy, though. We had somebody try it, though, I believe.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 CJStudent, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

Really? 90 MPH is fast, to you? If that's the fastest you can drive safely (traffic permitting0, there is something very wrong with your vehicle or your abilities. How do you catch up to speeders going over 100 MPH on the Interstate?

Around here, on midnights, the average speed for a CVPI running hot is over 100 MPH. The biggest concern is stupid animals. Thankfully, they rarely jump out if the siren is on.

We don't have much traffic, after dark.

Perhaps, your area is vastly different.

It isn't unheard of for people to run thorugh with their cruise set over 90.

#22 nikerret, May 3, 2012
  3. nikerret

nikerret
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. Awesome

I used to have a small set of red LEd's in the back window of my POV.

In college, I drove from Lawrence to KC almost daily. On K-10, there was a lot of traffic doing the same. I regularly stopped and helped people change tires and whatnot.

I also got to know the Troopers and Deputies that frequented the area. One of them recommended I get the light for the back window. I did, the cheapest one I could find that I could hide completely. I never turned it on unless I was off the roaadway and doing something.

It was a great way to pick up women who had flat tires :supergrin:

4. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Well, if that is a no-go currently for there, or nationally; it would be because of our own staff who became knuckle heads. I had heard of some acting way out of the scope of their employment, and BOP legal parameters as outlined in USC. That's never a good thing.

5. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

Yeah, the way I understand it, the guy was doing traffic stops on his way home from work or some such.

6. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

We had heard about it a little while after it had happened. It is unbelievable how some people go way beyond their scope of employment. It was a good lesson concerning what our duties are, and are not. Now if a person acts as a good citizen, (without lights, and so on), that is a totally different thing. If I stop someone it will be in the line of duty, and on the rez, which I have. But, that joker who did what he did made us look bad. Sometimes when I think of it ... :psycho:

7. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

Agreed. Now that I think about it, it might have been something we were told in the first day or so at Glynco; I do remember hearing about it with the burro, as well as with the state before, too.

8. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Yep. All good reasons for me not to get the lights and siren, (both required in KS, as you can't have one without the other). I figure if I have to use my personal vehicle then I will get any other equipment issued to me on the spot for the purposes intended, and probably wind up manning an escape post or something with it. Or, be a courier getting information out to nearby agencies.

9. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

If that happens, they can give me a g-ride.

KY is weird, though; state law allows blue lights/siren for LE, with red being able to be added to the mix at the county/local level. Corrections (used to be just state, now state and county level as of last year) is only authorized blue lights--no siren. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

10. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Well, here at the state level and below, red lights at a minimum and sirens. For federal level they leave us be to do our own things, which of course varies a little bit by agency. Most federal in this area is red and blue with take down lights. The little plug in thing we had was red and blue, and to be placed in the windshield area. In fact for a while all of our vehicles had that type after we got rid of the old windshield set up, and sirens. Now we have the basic kit in each chase car, with everything else being a plane Jane vehicle.

Of course perimeter patrol is fully equipped with the basics.

#30 Hack, May 3, 2012
  11. Rabbi

Rabbi
    Expand Collapse
    The Bombdiggity
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. GT Bikers
    3. The JBT's
    4. Project Mayhem

I do as well. I have always carried a first aid/breakdown kit in my cars, long before I ever thought about being a cop.

Of all the things I figure I will have to do off duty and would do off duty, a crach where I have to jump into action at the mighty traffic director is probably it. Making a traffic vest among my most realistic and valuable off duty tools.

12. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

We run red/blue dash lights; mostly LED, with a few strobe still in there. Mostly vans, with dash light only and siren. Our few cars seem to have both dash and deck lights, though I've only seen a car used once since I've been here (chase on a guy leaving and coming back via ambulance, off our hospital floor). Perimeter has a full red/blue halogen lightbar (Code 3 Excaliber) with takedowns and alleys. The bus seems to have a siren speaker visable, but I've never seen lights on it.

13. Hack

Hack
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy CO
    Gold Member

Every institution is a little different. We have had chase vehicles for some time, because of the fact that we had high/max back in the day. Now, they are mainly used for other official uses as needed. Of course we have a couple of vans or so, with lights, trucks with lights and sirens, bus with what have you, special ops vehicle and what not with equipment. Some of our stuff is just parked in case of need now a days, since nothing really happens for the most part here, LOL.

14. Magicmanmb

Magicmanmb
    Expand Collapse

Saw the perfect example of an EDP wannabe at the gas station today. Gassing up my car @ c-store care next to me is a plain crown vic pillar mounted spotlight, set of lights over the rear view. Guy is wearing a t-shirt and OD BDU pants, with a pistol exposed. Back design on his shirt is so close to the State Law Enforcement logo I did a double take because of the open display (FELONY in SC for non-LEO) the logo was of a bail bonding agency in another county. I called and had him pulled. Searching the car he had transport belt, fold down shield, strobes, blue light, shotgun rack w/870, badges from several local agencies, raid jacket, 3 shirts w/badges embroidered on & POLICE across the back. Plus better body armor than we have.
    Fun part he has been convicted in 3 different states for stalking, menacing, ADW, Impersonation & felon in posession of firearms. His bond hearing will be Monday. Have the feeling a few rapes will be cleared in other areas.

15. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33
    Expand Collapse
    Da Fk'n Man

Yes reckless driving is frowned upon and should not be tolerated... However if the firefighter/emt is driving like mrs daisy to the station then you all would change your tone if it was your house burning or your loved one in the car accident or in need of medical treatment... You all look at first responders poorly and it blows my mind that you cut them down but are quick to change your tune when SHTF and it affects you personally

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. jhooten

jhooten
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Just a suggestion, Check your insurance policy before you do.

17. Oso

Oso
    Expand Collapse

I see a lot of the red flashers on vehicles around here. You can't throw a stone and hit somebody that is not a volunteer fireman or EMT. I know a guy who has more gear, lights, and equipment than most full fire departments. He is a real nice upstanding guy. It's just his passion. His reason for not going more than volunteer is that he makes a lot more money in his day job.

FWIW I've never seen a LEO in this area that has lights on their personal vehicles and none have take home cars, except maybe the chief (not sure).

#37 Oso, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  18. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp
    Expand Collapse
    Methberry PD

It is an epic no-no for any LEO in my county to have lights for the purpose of, well, being an LEO. The only exception is a couple of town marshals who own their own cars and have equipped them accordingly. These cars are low-mileage department lease returns that they were able to buy with their own money and lease to the towns they work for. The car is plated with police plates, insured by the town and the town splits maintenance and fuel costs with the owner.

In the other counties I work, it's not uncommon for deputies and reserves to have old CVPIs and Impalas festooned with red and blues for use on paid traffic details in the Metro area. I don't really know how they are getting away with it though, as the cars aren't plated accordingly.

I have never understood why it's ok and appropriate for a VFD to run around with his pickup truck festooned with $3000.00 worth of lights to respond to the station, but off-duty LEO's cannot do the same. Especially in this day, when we are losing our take-home cars right and left. Oh well.

#38 Kadetklapp, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  19. Oso

Oso
    Expand Collapse

Probably because the VFD is expected to respond 24/7. Most LEOs aren't. Just my guess. :dunno:

20. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

You'd be surprised at that. Most LEOs are in fact on call 24/7 for major events; it just doesn't happen that often. I've had an emergency "return IMMEDIATELY" message right after I got off work. Luckily, I wasn't that far away, and it was just somebody screwing up testing the emergency recall system (sends automated phone calls out), but yeah, it happens. I'd say it happens more often with smaller agencies, though it can happen with bigger ones for major situations (think riots).