close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Lights and holsters

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by rookiecop2346, Jul 10, 2011.

1. rookiecop2346

rookiecop2346

Jul 9, 2011
    We are issued Glock 22's and I want to put a light on it for working deep nights. Any recommendations on what lights/holsters to look at. Currently I am looking at the Blackhawk Serpa level 3 with the Xiphos light, but just curious to see what else is out there.

2. You may get answers here, but you could ask over on Cop Talk as well.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I'm sure you already know this, but it never hurts to check with your department in case they have any rules as to which light/holster is allowed or prohibited.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  4. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    My recommendation for light is a X300. As far as the holster goes, I would look to Raven Concealment if you can use them at your department. If not, Garrett Industries and Safariland make some nice stuff.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    For a duty holster it's hard to beat Safariland for choice and quality.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Are the lights an option where you work? Most departments I know of don't allow them, except for certain units like SWAT/K9/etc. because of the tendency of officers to use them like flashlights that just happen to point a gun at everything.

7. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    Blackhawk makes a nice holster, but I do not like their light. The light is also off-set under the pistol. In my opinion, Safariland's light attached holsters are the best in the industry right now. I have one, and it's been great. Good luck with your search.

8. tango44

tango44

Jun 16, 2005
    Miami Florida
    Streamlight Surefire X300 + Raven holster.

9. What does your department allow?

Any and everything?

I just banned SERPA holsters from our department. Only the detectives were using them on duty, some guys were using them off-duty.

I also just got rid of our Uncle Mike's whatever thumb snap duty holster. Our other standard issued holster was the Safariland 295. Loved that holster, but the cost is just staggering.

I've been using a Safariland 6280 holster with my Glock 31 and Streamlight TLR-1. I used that combo with the Glock 22 and various lights over the years before I just stopped with the latest TLR-1 C4. (With my 22, it started with a Insight M3, then I went to the TLR-1, then to the Glock GTL10 and new holster, but still a 6280, since the old one didn't fit the glock light, then back to the old holster with the Insight Procyon, then when we went to the 31s, I bought the TLR-1 C4 and have used that since). Our Glock 22s were in the EPK range (which got the "upgrade") and we had no issues with malfunctions and taclights.

I just told everyone that the 295 holster is also out unless they buy it themselves. Our new standard holster (for all new guys starting today onward) will be the regular Safariland 6280 holster. If they want a tac-light, they can purchase the light and a new 6280 holster on their uniform allowance.

Oh, reason I banned the SERPAs was not related to an on-duty incident where a gun was needed. We were doing some ground defense training and two guys with the SERPAs got rocks or something caught up in the release mechanism and could not get their guns out.

I am transitioning them to Safariland 6377/6378 holsters. I just got a 6378 in and have been testing it this weekend and it seems like a winner.

I do have a policy that you cannot use your taclight as a flashlight unless you mean to point your gun at someone. That's why we give you a flash light that doesn't attach to your gun.

---
    I don't have strobe on my TLR-1 (I didn't like the strobe on the procyon, so I didn't bother with strobe when I got the new TLR C4). I've never tried Surefire stuff for handguns (I have surefire stuff on my shotgun and mp5). To date, I've never had issues with recoil problems on any of the lights I've used. My original TLR-1 went through at least 5000 rds with the Glock 22 with no issues. My current TLR-1 has over 3000 rds since it's been on the Glock 31. I chose to stay with the TLR-1 over the M3 or Procyon because of the way it connects. It has never come off during a shoot. Coworker's M3s/Procyons have come off because during gun grab tests or rolling around fighting for the gun, the quick disconnect sometimes gets bumped and when we go to shoot, the light flies off. can't bump the TLR-1 latch off

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    Streamlight TLR-1s is brighter, has strobe, and is half the price. I run one on my G21 and have never had a problem. I use a Safariland 6360, it is level 3 and a great holster. Streamlight also just came out with a switch similar to surefire's DG switch so you can actuate the light just by squeezing your middle finger against the grip

11. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    Ive had 2 TLR-1's and the most important thing is durability, and that they werent. The body cracked on the first one and the 2nd's internals broke due to recoil. Surefire is easily the company that everyone else is trying to catch up to as far as durability goes. The TLR-1 may have a strobe and cost less, but imo and obviously SF's, they dont need a strobe and you get what you pay for in almost 95% of firearms related purchases

12. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    We are all issued TLR-1's and holsters to match. Any department that allows or madates mounted lights should make specific training with the light mandatory. Untrained folks will try to mount/dismount the light on a loaded weapon, turn the light on and off with the trigger finger, and other FAIL moves.

13. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Pretty much & that is what's generally approved for most PD's.
    And another vote for a X300. I have 3.
    It isn't on paper. 160 vs 170 of the surefire. But in reality there's no discernible difference.

14. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    ive had mine for a year and a half, ran it through 3 qualifications, shoot about 200 rds a month all without any problems. Streamlight also has great customer service from what i hear. I've used the strobe several times and really like it, but to each his own. Surefire's are awesome lights i just don't know if the $270 price tag is worth it, seems like you are paying a high price just for the light to say surefire on it

15. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    surefire's are more of a focused beam as opposed to the streamlight which is less focused and seems to light up a room better. Surefire has more lumens on paper yes, but streamlights seem brighter when clearing rooms, buildings, etc.

16. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    Very interesting.
    I have a TLR-2 that I ahve been running for several years on a G21 setup for 45ACP/45Super and sometimes suppressed. I always assume that I would find any recoil issues if there were any to be found. I have yet to see an issue.

Can you be more specific about what you were running them on and what issues you saw?

17. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Oct 20, 2002
    Mm..looks like heaven
    Safariland 6360/G22/SFX200

The 295 sucks, look how you draw from it.

18. EODLRD

EODLRD AF Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Washington
    I carry my G22 in a Safariland 6004 with a TLR-1 attached. No issues with the light or the combo.

But I do want to switch to the 6320 for the holster.

19. I have a TLR-1s on my M&P9 and it has been flawless over the 500-600 rounds I have fired with the light attached. It is very bright, and doesn't move around at all from recoil, it is very secure.

20. This is exactly why they are currently not allowed for general patrol at my department.