Lightning hit my PC via ethernet. Advice???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by nsl, Jan 9, 2013.

1. nsl

nsl

OK, this happened a few weeks back. It got my ATT U-Verse modem, and at first, the PC had problems starting, until it did a self repair.

ATT sends a tech with a new modem, but he then determins that my ethernet port is not "there" as no driver, so he sets me up with a wireless USB rangebooster, and gets me going via my wireless part of my internet package.

Anyway, I've decided this wireless is too slow and inconsistant, and today I tried a new ethernet card in both ports, and it wouldn't work. Took it back and tried and got a USB ethernet adapter, was able to get it going with an update, and it worked great.

Now, I shut the PC down, do a few hours of yardwork, and no green light on my ethernet part of my modem. Try reinstalling the new adapter, etc, then my PC wigs out and has problems starting, does the self repair just like the night it was struck, and now I'm back up and running, but with my wireless again.

Why is my PC not letting me connect to the net via a hardwire? my USB ports work with my wireless booster and my game controller, so I would figure that the USB ethernet adapter would work. Wrong. Is there something in the program that got zapped that won't let any ethernet work?

Some other guys think my PC is screwed, and need to get another. What do you think? If so, recommend me a good laptop. Nothing fancy, just one that doesn't have problems, as I just use my PC's to surf the net anyway. I want to clean up this clutter.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Best article yet written on the F-35 Lightning II..... The Okie Corral Jul 15, 2015
    Anyone ever had their home struck by lightning The Okie Corral Jul 5, 2015
    Boating and lightning, how dangerous? The Okie Corral Jun 23, 2015
    .........Just seen the first Lightning Bugs of the year... The Okie Corral Jun 6, 2015
    Ever been struck by lightning? The Okie Corral Jun 2, 2015

3. I am not even going to try to diagnose your problem here.

Just so you know, most homeowners insurance will cover lightning strike damage.

4. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena
    Platinum Member

Maybe.

Mine had a $3000 deductable for lightning strike.

5. Honestly, my iPad does almost all of my web browsing. About the only time it doesn't is when I'm researching and word processing.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak KO Windows

Well, that was sure helpful... :upeyes:

I'm not sure the PC is screwed... but it might be having some hardware issues (from the strike) that is causing software to behave abnormally.

The one time I had the situation happen that you describe... I was able to install an ethernet card, and the PC was fine (it's actually still in use today, 10yrs later..lol)

IGF

7. I've diagnosed multiple PC's after lightning strikes. If you are encountering issues, best advice is to replace it. Only way to fully isolate the fault is to take it to someone who has the appropriate test equipment. You can smoke a chip even just a little and it will have intermittent issues for life.

8. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Agreed.

It wasn't clear in your post that the Modem WAS replaced, but regardless the system is in a 'suspect' state after such an event.

If it fried the modem, and the ethernet went into your system... Chances are pretty good you have latent issues that will happen as soon as temperatures start rising in the spring.

Get your data backed up, and do a nice thing for an Anti-Gun person...

"Hey, I just got a new PC, so I am giving you my old one!"

:supergrin:

9. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

A friend has his cable termination in a box outside.
    He uses a 10-base T - to - fiber converter there to pass the signal indoors.

Fiber-optic line into the house cannot conduct lightning.
    His gear is protected.

10. jdeere_man

CLM

I do some tech work and I usually just install an internal network card in and open slot and everything is good. You might have other issues.

Did you have a router in between your modem and computer? If so they usually take the hit and keep your computer from taking a strike from the modem cable. (suggestion if you didn't because they are easier to replace) Also some decent UPS boxes have network surge suppression which would connect in at the first possible point.

11. Lord

Lord Senior Member

try this... open your services... click on start, then run (if not there, simply hit winkey+r) and in the run box type in services.msc and hit enter.

In the services list, find "Home Group listener" and "Home Group Provider"

Disable both, and make sure both are stopped.

restart computer. then shut down computer and install ethernet nic, and restart computer. Go into the network settings either via control panel, or right click on the icon in the systray and select open network and sharing center. make sure the nic is listed and not disabled. if not listed, go into devices. To do this, right click my computer and get properties. from there go into device manager and find the device and re-install the drivers. let me know how this works for you

12. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Surge protectors are dirt cheap compared to computers, tv's and other electronics!!

14. Might want to confirm that the old ethernet port is not showing up as a network connection intermittently and causing issues. If it is showing up as a network connection, then disable it.

Also, are you sure that you are only connected via wireless now? If you go into task manager and then to networking do you see only one connection or both?

When you say wireless booster, I'm assuming that is a wireless network adapter that you have connected via USB? Do you have that and the ethernet USB adapter connected at the same time? Are you using a USB hub or connecting the network adapters directly into your USB ports?

15. gTWO

My lightning hit destroyed the cable modem and the wireless circuitry.

A new network card fixed it...