close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lighter weight SS barrel that is accurate??

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by HAIL CAESAR, Dec 18, 2011.

1. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

I am building a new rifle to tote around the fields and shoot coyotes. I have heavy rifles that shoot very sub-MOA, and I have light rifles that shoot 1.7's or so. I am looking for a 18 (or 16 inch) barrel that us not a "heavy" that will shoot sub MOA.

So far I have narrowed it down to this one.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2902

Any one have experience with Rainier barrels or any other good suggestions?

Thanks for your time,
    Al

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

No first hand experience, but I have heard many good things about Ranier barrels.
    That barrel is very close to the 16" Bison Armory 6.8 SPC barrel I have.
    It ballances very well, I would prefer a 18" over a 16 in .223/5.56

3. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

I am really leaning for a 18, but the 16 would be lighter and stiffer (more theoretical than actual).

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Very true,.......but you would lose a little velocity with the 16"

5. Ljunatic

Ljunatic
    Expand Collapse
    On The Fringe

Back when I was looking for a similar upper, I had Adco Firearms cut a 20" down and reprofile it to govt. so it would be light enough to hump around with a bipod in place.

At the time it was a rather odd combo of 18" barrel on a M4 type lower, and the barrel choices we have now were just beginning to show up.

When (if) i need to rebarrel this upper I will most likely go the way your thinking with another 18" but in SS and in the SPR profile mold

6. steve1911

steve1911
    Expand Collapse

I have a rainier ultramatch that is sub MOA, in 16 bbl. it is very accurate with 75gr hornady match, and 77gr.OTM rounds.

Barrel you linked, i installed one on a friends rifle and it is nice shooter he has RDS on his rifle, no scope so around 2 1/2 to 3 MOA with mil spec trigger, with a better trigger and glass i'm sure it would cut it in half. hope this helps.

1911club#410

7. surf

surf
    Expand Collapse

You don't mention price so.....Noveske 16" lightweight SS barrel. Sub MOA, 29 oz. Or if you feel you need an 18" barrel the Noveske light SS is 32oz. Personally I don't see the advantage of the 18" over the 16" for coyote hunting ranges in 5.56.

The WOA, Shilen, FN make great barrels also, just to name a few.

8. 1time

1time
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

I am happy with my JP 18" light weight barrel. After a 30 round mag dump I shot 3 back to back .75 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards and a 1.25 inch group at 200 yards. I was using a Millet 1-4 power scope.

#8 1time, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  9. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and experience.

I really don't feel like spending 5 bills on a barrel to shoot coyotes. I can buy a bolt gun used that will eat a AR alive for 5 bills.

I am really thinking the same way about a 16 inch barrel as you. You pay more for an 18 and all you really get is more weight. The velocity won't make that much difference out to normal shooting ranges. If I need to shoot further I got a 25-06 with a 26 inch barrel...I just wanted short and light with this gun.

Hell, I'd just buy a used light Savage bolt gun and use it but I like the AR so much. It gives me another reason to build one. I know....it's stupid.:embarassed:

#9 HAIL CAESAR, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  10. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

I am really looking at the RUM barrel that you have. What kind of numbers are you getting?

AL

11. steve1911

steve1911
    Expand Collapse

77gr. 1/2in. the 75gr. run around 3/4 to inch. I only have about 550 rds. thru this bbl. the more i use it the more i like it.

I'm sure you would be pleased with the RUM BBL.

1911club#410

12. BBJones

BBJones
    Expand Collapse

I have heard nothing but great things about the RUM barrels, but to OP do you consider that to be LW? Looks pretty beefy to me. If I got one of those, I would turn it down for a LW precision build.

One advantage of an 18" is you can go with a rifle length gas system. If if was me, 16" middy but put an A5 buffer/tube and save the weight and length up front.

#12 BBJones, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  13. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Thank you very much. I keep hearing good things about these barrels but I ALWAYS like reports with numbers.

It is not a true LW, but to me it would be a LW or a lighter weight option. Especially if you compare it to a true varmint or national match barrel.
    I am really leaning toward a 16 mid also.

Do you have any experience with these barrels?

14. Clint-M

Clint-M
    Expand Collapse

I'm waiting on the 14.5" match barrel to come back in stock from Rainier right now. For their price, sub-MOA guarantee, and 90-day money back I couldn't find a better deal. If I grow too impatient I'll probably look into a WOA instead. Both come in under $300 and are more than capable or out-shooting me.

FWIW, I looked in JP and Noveske but their prices are huge turn-offs when you are really only going to see minimal if any difference.

CM

#15 Clint-M, Dec 20, 2011
  15. Singlestack Wonder

Singlestack Wonder
    Expand Collapse

With the BCM, yes. 18" BCM Mk12 Upper. .5 to .75 moa with 77 grain is the norm.

#16 Singlestack Wonder, Dec 20, 2011
  16. surf

surf
    Expand Collapse

Well heck you didn't say anything about price in your original post. You just said lightweight SS that would shoot sub MOA and Noveske makes a true lightweight profile SS barrel.

Another option that fits what you are asking for is Wilson Combat who also uses Wilson blanks. WOA, Rainier and Wilson Combat source from Wilson barrels. Wilson Combat has a lightweight profile SS barrel. It is a bit more than the Rainier barrel, but not much.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-G...-8-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-556LW16-18/

#17 surf, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  17. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Surf, I saw the WC barrels but they are all 5.56 chambers. I wonder how they shoot.

Al

18. Singlestack Wonder

Singlestack Wonder
    Expand Collapse

For the best accuracy, I recommend the USMC SAM-R or Wylde chamber.

A standard 5.56 chamber allows for reliable feeding while taking a little away from accuracy. For an SPR rifle (if that is truely the purpose), high volumes of fire (i.e. carbine class with 800-1500 rounds in a day) is not what it is meant for. It's designed for extreme accuracy.

Bravo Company's SPR MK12 uppers (and 18" SPR barrels) are proven systems for the SPR role.

Another quality option is the LaRue Stealth Upper (LaRue doesn't sell barrels).
    LW50 stainless steel with a Wylde chamber.

#19 Singlestack Wonder, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  19. Eurodriver

Eurodriver
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Have shot out accurately (2 MOA) out to 400 yards and its lighter than any LW profile 16" barreled AR15. It will shot sub MOA out to 200 yards, probably 400 if I had a better optic.

Taking it to 600 yards in a few weeks. I'll be sure to post follow ups.