close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Light weight barrels?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Cole125, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    What are your guys opinions on light weight profile Ar15 barrels. Thinking about going that rout for my next build.

Pros and cons of light weight barrels?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

3. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I've got two DDV3's, one LW and one regular. I much prefer the LW. The balance is just better. The weight isn't much different but it's taken off the end of the barrel so the feel is a lot different.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

4. Unk

Unk

Jul 27, 2010
    West Central FL
    Have a shooting friend with a Vietnam-era mil-spec take off pencil barrel that shoots like a lazer.

Have two 16" barrels- a CAR15 and M4gery that shoot OK but not even close to my RRA EOP Varmint w/24" SS bull barrel. 10# rifle plus scope plus magazine adds up fast.

Think I've got my realistic spectrum covered..prairie dogs and uninvited guests. If I could only have one(1) it would be the scoped M4gery..handy and doesn't weigh as much as a kettlebell.

5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    How is the accuracy of the LW DD compared to the regular? Does the accuracy drop off when the barrel heats up with the LW more?

6. rockapede

rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    The pencil barrel guns I've shot took a few mags dumped pretty quickly before they started opening up. My current gun has a PSA "lighter weight" barrel, but it's not as light as a pencil barrel. My next gun will be a pencil barrel.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  7. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
  8. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    My LW barreled ARs get used while the others sit in the safe.

9. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Accuracy is the same. Unless you plan on going into combat it takes more rounds than you are going to go through in any SD situation or even small zombie attack. Unless you have a happy switch I don't see the need for heavier than LW other than for personal balance feel.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

10. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    It doesn't matter. The M4 profile has shown to stay a very slight bit more accurate when heating up, but you wouldn't be able to tell outside of benchrest type shooting.

The heavier profile is just from the front sight base forward, it's a LW under the hand guards.

11. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    I have a 6720 that is my KISS carbine. It shoots like a laser and is a dream to cart around. No accuracy issues at all.

12. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Thanks for the input. Sounds like LW barrels are good to go in the accuracy department.

Also:

:needspics:

13. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Love my 14.5 BCM mid length, far and away my favorite rifle now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  14. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    I agree with what has already been said. You may loose a little accuracy with a LW or pencil barrel when it heats up but you would have to bench rest it to notice. People that buy LW’s typically don’t spend much time on a bench rest range.

15. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I see no need for an M4 profile barrel unless you are running full auto. Light weight barrels are a better choice for most people.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I see no need for the M4 profile unless you are running a 203. Isn't the M4 and LW the same profile under the handguard where it really gets hot?

17. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Thank you. I agree with most here, for civilian use seems like LW does most of what you ask it to do.

18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  19. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    The more I do this the lighter I go.

There's so much to be said for a lightweight gun and unless you are running full auto and need to lay down suppressive fire for team movement there's almost nothing to be said in favor of heavier barrels.

If you shoot off a bench you MIGHT see a difference. In practical terms nobody posting in this forum could ever take advantage of the accuracy difference. Shoot a 50 yard 6" target standing with a pencil barrel and come back and tell me it was the gun that caused you to miss and I will laugh in your face.