close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Light or Laser?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by ggwash21, Jun 15, 2010.

1. ggwash21

ggwash21 Junior Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Im looking to buy either a TLR-1 light or Crimson Trace Grips for my G23
    what would you buy?

2. Dean22

Dean22

May 10, 2010
    Dallas TX
    You could get one that has both on it, really depends on the purpose it'll serve though.

3. ggwash21

ggwash21 Junior Member

Apr 25, 2005
    I was thinking about the light/laser but no holster for conceal really. I am thinking the laser grips and get a decent surefire flashlight and carry in my pocket etc.

4. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Dec 2, 2005
    They serve different functions and purposes. :headscratch:

It is critical to ID an intruder! :shocked:

It is critical to target an intruder! :wow:

Both light & laser can be used to panic or intimidate, and possibly provoke an intruder. Both require forethought, training and practice for proper use. :eyebrow:

IMO, you need both! So get both, or, get one then the other, as your budget dictates; or, get a laser/light combo, as Dean22 suggests!

See if you can try the CT grips, before deciding on them, as they do impact the gun's ergonomics. If you like them, as many do--go for it!

I would urge you to consider the Insight WX150 as well as the Streamlight TLR-1. If you go with the latter, be sure to get the C4 generation.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :wavey:

--Ray

5. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Dec 2, 2005

That's it! Think it through... ;)

Does your G23 have night sights? :dunno:

--Ray

6. Dean22

Dean22

May 10, 2010
    Dallas TX
    One thing to think about is having a custom holster made, I've seen ones done where it had room for a light/laser combo. HOWEVER, a word of caution with that is if you rely on something like that when the time comes to use it and it just so happens to get flipped on while in your holster you've now got dead batteries. I use a light/laser when on the bed stand and nothing while in the holster. Just another thing to think about, not trying to sway you one way or another.

7. ggwash21

ggwash21 Junior Member

Apr 25, 2005
    No, But I ordered Stock NS for it and looking for a MN Glocker to install for me. I think im gonna go with the Grips and carry my Surefire in my pocket or order a single mag/light holder, That way i can use my stock conceal holster and not worrk abotu dead batteries etc..

8. Anonimo

Anonimo

Jul 29, 2009
    I went with both.

Streamlight TRL-1 ( I should of got the S)

and the Lasermax internal guiderod laser.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  9. Dean22

Dean22

May 10, 2010
    Dallas TX
    If they made a green internal guide rod laser I think I'd be obligated to get it, otherwise I just don't use one.

10. My bedside home defense weapon looks almost identical to that (S&W 686 with CT grips and a Tac-light with 38spl 124 gr. +P). On my carry gun, though, all I have is some good night sights. That's not a recommendation, it's just the direction I went after doing similar research.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  11. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Dec 2, 2005

Seweet! :supergrin:

My usual bedside rig's a 3rd Gen G21 with LaserMax and X200B. In this pic, it's wearing a KKM barrel too...

--Ray

12. ggwash21

ggwash21 Junior Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Went with a Set of Trijicon NS and a TLR-1s

13. I'd go with the light, unless you have a cat. They love chasing the laser dot...

14. ggwash21

ggwash21 Junior Member

Apr 25, 2005
    No i have 3 Labs that chase the laser everywhere.......

15. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

May 10, 2002
    Two different items, two different purposes. One is for targeting, the other for illumination/target identification. For lasers, the lasermax internal is much better, though the CT grips are solid for what they are, and cost less. The TLR-1 is a good light. Neither will be particularly useful for ccw, but both are good products, nothing wrong with either.

16. DBake

DBake

Jan 25, 2004
    Go for the CT laser, you should have a light somewhere around the house already that could make do. I believe you shouldn't have a light on your gun unless you have recieved proper training.