close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

light firing pin hits

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by robertrwalsh, Jan 27, 2010.

1. robertrwalsh

robertrwalsh

Oct 19, 2008
    I have two Glocks, a 19 and a 20. The 19 is great. The 20 has been giving me trouble, and I can't seem to figure it out.

It is absolutely reliable with factory ammo. I get a fair amount of light hits, almost 10%, with even very good quallity reloads. (My own).

I get a centered light hit. A second strike fires the round. There is a brand new factory firing pin and a brand new factory firing pin spring. The channel isn't gunky, and I cleaned it out anyway. The firing pin safety seems to be working normally and the trigger bar is not deformed. Extractor tension seems normal.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Jul 18, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Are you saying that about 10% of your reloads are getting light hits but factory ammo is working every time?

3. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    What kind of primers are you using?

How does your G20 do with factory ammo?

:cool:

4. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    That's pretty common with large frame Glocks and Winchester LP primers. Often it's thought that the Winchester LP primers aren't fully seated. Glock also updated the large frame trigger to pull the striker farther back for a stronger primer strike. Most often the Winchester LP primers are to blame.

5. robertrwalsh

robertrwalsh

Oct 19, 2008
    I detail stripped, soaked and cleaned out all the channels in the slide. I got one fairly large chunk of crud from the extractor spring channel which just possibly may have upset the geometry enough to cause problems. I also installed an extra power firing pin spring. I strongly suspect that will do the job.

Mostly I use Winchester primers but I still have a fair quantity of CCI around. Maybe I will switch to them for the 10MM.

Thanks for the suggestion.

6. nraman

nraman

Dec 9, 2002
    You are correct, the reason I got rid of my G20 and G21. Unless the primer is seated properly you get a light strike, unlike in other models. Too sensitive for my taste.

7. wabo100

wabo100 NRA Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Cleveland,OH
    6lb firing pin spring will fix any problems g20 owners are having.

8. robertrwalsh

robertrwalsh

Oct 19, 2008
    Just thought I would let you know I took it out today with the new, heavier firing pin spring and it ate up anything I fed it, about 200 rounds worth.

I think I may also get the longer draw trigger system somebody mentioned above and see if that will work with the standard spring better than the old trigger with the heavier spring, but I am again a happy camper.

Thanks again guys.