close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    Right, but if you happen to be in the market for a new family car, then the "Accord v. Sentra" discussion is very relevant to your interests.

As was the "Mac v. PC" debate for me last week.

2. catalyst686

catalyst686

Apr 13, 2010
    Minnesota
    Got the same one, congrats!

3. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

May 10, 2003
    Indiana
    It wasn't the "marketing" that got me hooked on Mac. In fact, I was one of the biggest scoffers. I bought an old iBook off of eBay (mostly to make fun of it), and just see "how the other half lived". I fidgeted with it a bit and realized the thing was actually very cool. I just enjoyed the interface, the feel of the keyboard and was surprised at how fast such an old computer was. I was actually using that thing quite a bit while my new-ish Dell (which had been one problem after another) was sitting there collecting dust.

Eventually I upgraded to a "newer" used iBook and used it for quite a while then finally took the plunge in 09 and got a brand new MacBook. It was, and actually still is a great machine. I did end up getting a new 2012 MacBook Pro when they came out in like June of this year. I am not sure I really needed the Pro, but the timing was right so I jumped on it. The Pro had been pretty amazing.

4. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant

Sep 30, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    In my personal experience, I've had fewer problems from Macs than PCs, but that said, it's still a machine which can fail and if given enough time, will. Couple that with the expense of repairs - the Apple battery was $130 I believe - and the warranty may look more attractive. Of course, YMMV.

And I've never waited hours at an Apple Store, though I'm sure experiences vary.

5. Reissman

Reissman Millennium Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Central, MI
    My daughters high school went all computer everything is done thru a cloud system the school set up. No more books. Guess what computer they use. MacBook Air 11" ....

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    What PC owners really do that? By the time the hardware you bought three years ago is obsoleted by the software you bought yesterday, you need a new motherboard anyway.

7. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    1. One can easily make an appointment over the net and see an Apple Genius Bar person with no wait.

2. For many issues a Genius Bar person will help without Apple Care.

3. Apple Care also avails one to extensive over the phone/email support. For the record I don't buy Apple Care.

ETA - Apple stores also put on little scheduled tutorials about various things Apple - like it or not that's advantage over pc makers. I've never anything similar from a PC maker.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  8. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Mar 10, 2007
    KY
    So, because someone is happy with a new purchase they should refrain from posting about it because it bothers you?

9. ryanm

ryanm

Aug 1, 2003
    Central Arkansas
    The touchpad gestures are great, as well. I've already grown dependent on them.

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I use Windows and haven't had a virus in, well, forever. Bluescreens are very rare in my experience. But I guess you've got the advantage on the disposable hardware. Let me know how your 2012 hardware is working in five or six years.

Fanboys are always such a fun phenom... :cool:

11. Durden

Durden

Oct 5, 2010
    I've used a Windows laptop nearly every day since...I can't remember.

The last time I saw a Blue Screen of Death (OMG!!!) had to have been in 2002 or 2003.

The last time I had a virus was probably about the same time...MAYBE as late as 2004...and didn't do any serious or irreparable harm. It cost me several hours of my time, though, which sucked at the time.

So, Windows, a good free AV program and a good firewall, and one OMG!!! BSOD!!!! in 14 years or so, and one virus that was pretty much harmless as of 2003 or 2004.

Apple fanboys love any reason to justify paying 3x to 6x as much for a tool.

12. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Mar 10, 2007
    KY
    I agree. I've never used a mouse with my Mac, but my wife and I pretty much found it a necessity if we were going to be using one of our other laptops for more than a few minutes.

13. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    Exactly. Some of these people act as though my choice in computers somehow is going to impact their life.

It's a tool. The best OS for you is the OS that works best for you. It all depends on what you need and how you are going to use it.

They each have their pros and cons.

Personally, I have both. I prefer Windows, but if Mac makes you happy, cool.

14. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    The OP set the tone of the conversation, TM. We just responded. I have Win, Apple, and Linux boxes and they all have their uses, but if I start a Mac bashing thread I expect to hear Applers set me straight.

15. Durden

Durden

Oct 5, 2010
    +1

Beat me to it.

OP didn't just start a thread proclaiming his new flame with Apple, he made it a loud bullet point to bash Windows.

Had the thread title been the reverse, the Apple loyalists would have chimed in accordingly.

I've owned both, and will never understand the religious-like zeal of the Apple crowd, since Apple vs PC is like debating Toyota vs Honda, but that's a subject for a different thread (I think).

16. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    I've upgrade the RAM in every computer I've ever owned. I don't know of or have any software that's obsolete so I'm not sure what you are referring to. A new motherboard? Uh...ok.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  17. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    Anyone want to take bets on how old this PC is? I bet some members here have never even seen a floppy disk drive before. Still running like a champ.

[​IMG]

18. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Mar 10, 2007
    KY
    The RAM is about the only thing that most will upgrade in a laptop. Maybe the hard drive or SSD, but it seems that hard drive size increases have slowed, or at least the need for them. Also, he said obsoleted, which I'm lead to believe means the software drop support for the hardware, or becomes so bloated that it slows the computer. I don't think that happens as much anymore, but I did hear Vista did not work well on older computers. I assume Windows 8 would do well on older computers if they intend for it to run on tablets.

19. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Mar 10, 2007
    KY
    That's not even a real floppy drive. The disk you put in there doesn't even bend.

20. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    And REAL floppy's are 8 inches in diameter... ;)