close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

congrats OP,

microsoft sucks goat-nads......how that POS company is still in business is beyond me....

the only thing that is a bigger POS computer with windows is a mobile phone with windows on it.....

Apple all the way for me with phone and PC......on year 2 with my PC and 3 years with Iphone.....Love em'

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

While we all know I'm an Apple guy I do use and like Win 7, that said I'd like your opinion on Win 8, I have only heard bad stuff about it and the few machines I have played with in stores I just hated it, seems like its made for a tablet??

I need to help a family member buy a new computer for a Christmas program and I'm already wondering if I can get Win 7 on it if I don't talk her into a Mac? I know it will come with Win 8 and the guy won't like it but he likes Win 7. I'm already concerned about all the driver issues I will have to del with.

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Congrats! Welcome to the club. I'm still wiping tears from laughter from all the misinformation in this thread.

I'm typing this on a MacBook Air that I'm going to drop a 512 Meg HD into in a few months, got a MacBook Pro that I upgraded the HDD to a 256 SSD and upgraded the memory in, got a Mac Mini that I put a second HDD in and upgraded the memory in. Each of those updates took about 15 minutes max. Memory is more along the 30 second to 1 minute change out.

I was a "buy a machine and install Linux on it immediately" kinda guy for about 15 years until I got issued a Mac at work. Now my Linux and Solaris machines are just servers and my desktops are Macs.

Intel based hardware is the reason for viruses and malware? :animlol: :rofl: Holy COW I've got to show this thread around work. Oh DEAR :animlol:

There are almost no viruses for OS X, it's UNIX. Not "UNIX-Like" it's certified UNIX. Completely different mindset than WIN. It's BSD with a pretty face.

Again, welcome to the dark side. We have cookies.

4. sputnik767

sputnik767

I have not used Windows 8 for any significant amount of time, but I did play with it on some computers at Costco. In short, it seems very fast, even on crappy hardware. Otherwise, I don't like it. For your family member, you can buy the computer and a copy of Win 7 professional. Should be around $150. Then, wipe the PC and install. On the plus side, you'll get rid of all of the crap that always gets bundled with PCs, and have a proper, clean install. Or get a mac. For most people, a mac is sufficient for their only computer. Would not suffice for me though.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. Ftttu

Ftttu

Welcome to the show! I changed to a Mac Mini the day or day after Windows 8 came out. I'm not for or against both MS or Apple. I was looking for a change to reinvigorate my computer hobby, and Mac fit the bill. I just don't see me going back to a windows machine, but we will see what the future brings. Also, the Magic Mouse-there can't be any better mouse on the planet!

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

7. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Soooo...what you actually needed was a $150 Chromebook?

As I've often admitted here, my wife is ALL Mac (27"iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone5) I'm all PC and Blackberry (Blackberry because it's free from work).

So far (year years in) the computing stress level is definately higher on her end. As well as expense and repairs. So I really don't feel the iLove. The iPad mini...I'm a huge fan. It's what the iPad should have always been. The rest iStuff....meh.

8. sappy13

sappy13

Congrats Op, you will probably love it. I like the OSX operating system, but id much rather just run a flavor of linux. Fedora 16 is amazing. I just cant see myself paying the high price for a mac when I could get a pc with much better specs for less. The only difference between a modern Mac and a PC is the operating system. People say OSX is simple simple, but I think Windows is just as simple. Its common sense. Hardware is the same, except you get less specwise for your money with a mac(4 gigs of ram in a $1200 laptop..). I can count the number of viruses iv ever gotten on my pc on half my hand. All you need is a antivirus software and logical thinking when you are on the web. If a site or link doesnt look legit, DONT click it. How hard is that. If you do click it, Google will tell you everything you need to know to remove it. Macs get them too, just not as often and when they do, Apple denies it as long it can. My old roommate was the Apple rep at UGA before he graduated. A year or 2 ago when they had one, might have been the Mac Defender malware, they told him to officially deny it as malware to users...

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

I have done a lot of work to my friend's 4-5 year old white macbook, because over the years it began running like crap. Replaced the heatsink compound because the CPU was overheating, upgraded the RAM, and put in a larger HD. Also wiped the previous HD in the past and reinstalled the OS because the computer started seriously slowing down. Essentially, everything that goes wrong with PCs as they age, goes wrong with macs. Because there is no difference between PCs and Macs.

10. FPS

FPS

Congrats on the new Mac. Go get yourself some VMware Fusion and run Linux and Windows too. You can have three computers in one all running on the solid build quality of the Mac hardware.

11. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Want a trouble free PC?
    Shop the manufacturers business line instead of the Best Buy consumer models.
    You'll pay about the same price as a Mac but usually end up with a higher spec system and will have bloat free, clean Windows installs.
    I've had great experiences with my business grade IBM/Lenovo work laptops.
    A Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon running Linux Ubuntu would kick my MacBook Air's butt for the same price.

12. sappy13

sappy13

I love the Business line models. My Elitebook kicks ass. Iv got a Elitebook workstation im delivering to a client on friday with an I7 and 16 gigs of ram. The additional cost in the business line models is due to longer warrenty too. Most regular pcs come with 1 year. Business lines, at least HP's, come with a 3. Unless you cause physical damage to mess it up, all the labor and hardware is covered. Parts are sent overnight.

13. ryanm

ryanm

Congrats! I'm typing this on my month-old 13" MacBookAir. This thing has become indispensable. I hardly turn on my issued Lenovo T420s anymore. I got tired of breaking the cases on the Lenovo T-series. We've gotten kinda tired of that at work as well... it's why we pay for accidental damage protection on those. Half of the issued Thinkpads have cracked casings. We still like them, too, though.

14. sappy13

sappy13

doublepost

15. g29andy

g29andy CLM

15" ivy bridge MBP 16 gb RAM 512gb Crucial SSD, have Win7 Pro and Ubuntu in Parallels Virtual machines. It runs them all well. Still have PC desktop and laptops, but MBP is the new toy.

16. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I do not know what any of this means. :headscratch:

17. g29andy

g29andy CLM

18. Recalcitrant

Recalcitrant

My advice: if you can, go back and get the AppleCare. I don't usually buy warranties, but it's definitely worth it with your Mac. If you have to replace anything it's going to be expensive, much more so than the warranty. In addition you get phone support should the need arise.

With my old Macbook from 2006 I had a bulging battery, chipped faceplate, and a worn trackpad. They replaced everything under Applecare; without it, it would have been 330 some odd dollars.

Congrats on your new Mac! :woohoo:

19. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I will definitely consider it. The Apple store said I think I have like 30 days to get AppleCare. People seem to say its a good idea.

20. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

You can get it anytime before the initial warranty expires (1 year).