close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Best of Luck with your new lap top, My kids have macs since 2004 and they work perfect, I still have PC's as that's what we have at work. I don't want to switch as I don't want to unlearn what I all ready know about using a pc.

Once some one see how flawless a mac can be or how Great it is to walk into an apple store and have a situation resolved with in minutes with out having the frustration of a 45 minute wait for a customer support phone call with a person you don't understand.

The whole apple exspereance is worth more then what we pay for the products.

2. I have (3) MacBook's that just turned 4yrs old last month. One with severe abuse from my daughter but they all still work flawlessly. Not the fastest machines anymore but I only have to reboot them about once every few months. Yes you pay a premium but they work, keep working and not cluttered with crap. Bought a 21.5" iMac a few months ago and it's a screamer, probably wont need another computer for another 4 yrs now.

Honestly I don't understand why people think the Mac's are so overpriced? It wasn't all that long ago that a Dell or Gateway PC was $2500-$3500, so $1199 or so (especially in 2012 dollars) isn't really that much.

3. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    The depth of ignert.

I've been PC for more than 20 years and Mac for 2. I know everything I need to know about keeping a PC running. You sound about like a guy that would rather be spinning wrenches on his car than driving it, if you're into analogies.

I can spin those wrenches, I just can't be bothered. I have both platforms and am a programmer.

As opposed to being blinded with choices that are meaningless?

I find them crisp, clean and sleek and much better than the plastic-ee junk that all the PC users put out. Like my VAIO from sony, will never buy Sony again. Mail order mediocrity I wish I'd seen before ordering.

the Macbook pros are CNC milled out of a billet of solid aluminum. They are hands down the best hardware I've ever owned.

Oh I see. You want something in pink, like dell is putting out. Enjoy!

Who gives a rats about "style" WTF are you DOING with that thing anyway? It's what's on the inside that counts, it s a freaking computer, not a style statement.

You can put stickers on the outside of your case, whatever floats your boat.

This statement has been around for decades. Still waiting.

My sony VAIO is black. Havent turned it on several months. Your point again?

Let me guessÂ…Apple is racist?

4. Landmonster

Landmonster

Oct 9, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    Just understand you're paying a hefty surcharge because you're a computer noob.

5. farscott

farscott

Apr 6, 2003
    Athens, AL, USA
    There are some very cool things about the Macbooks, such as the Mag-Safe charger and the aluminum case. But I need to run Windows 7 and dual monitor support each for two pieces of software I use, Cadence PCB Design Studio and Mentor Graphics Hyperlynx. Those two packages will put the hurt on many PCs, especially when running at the same time using four monitors, so I invested in a Dell Precision workstation laptop setup.

There are some nice things about it such that it shares the AC adapter plug with all of the Dell business laptops, the dual graphics cards, the nice docking station, and the two solid-state drives. The nicest thing is that I can upgrade it. The newish Macs have eliminated that as the drives are flash chips soldered to the motherboard as is the RAM. The downside of the Dell is that it is so freaking heavy at more than nine pounds. There is a tradeoff between flexibility and weight.

My daughter runs a Macbook Air and loves it. For goofing off I use a Chromebook. For meetings I take a Dell Latitude and remote desktop into my Precision unless I need to do PCB design. Then I take the big iron with me. I pick the tool for the job I need to do, not for the brand.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  6. random southpaw

random southpaw

Nov 7, 2011
    Merry Christmas!

Welcome to the much happier Mac world. After you are fully acclimated, you'll wonder why you took so long to do this--but you will savor the quality of your good decision from here forward.

7. badcard

badcard

Dec 16, 2004
    Yeah, same here, upgraded my 2009 Macbook Pro 500 HDD to an 256 SSD. I don't know of any Windows laptops that have upgrade-able video cards in them these days.

(I work in our company's helpdesk supporting Win-based computers and am so burnt out on Windows machines I will never buy another one.)

8. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    I build my 1911s, it's a hobby that I enjoy. As I'm a professional mechanic I have no desire to 'work after work' unless it's a hobby. Hence I drive Toyota Tacomas and use Apple computers.

I have noted over the years that Mac users are happier than PC users.

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    Meh, I use both and my dad uses PCs only. We are both happy. Of course I built his PCs as well as mine using high-end components. I always maintain that mac users are only happy because they jumped from junky PCs to high-end and high priced macs, and you get what you pay for no matter what you decide to go with.

10. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    And you paid through the nose! They all have their problems. I work on and with both daily. You drank the Kool Aid man.

11. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    Proof that ignorance is bliss.

C'mon man... you set that one up on a tee for me. There's no way I wasn't going to take a swing.
    :rofl:

12. I would agree. I bought a new pc with windows 8 and I absolutely hate it. XP was much better. I had an Ibook years ago...should have stuck with Mac.

13. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    I really don't understand why everyone's stressing over Win8.
    Other than the slide out menu bars in the screen corners and the start screen instead of a start button/program tree it's identical to Win7.

Just pin your favorite programs to the start screen and/or the quick launch bar on the desktop and you're off to the races.

That's the way I ran XP and Win7, so Win8 took me all of 15 minutes to learn and customize.
    :dunno:

14. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

I maintain that you're not always right about that, either. Some of us were and are happy because of the operating system, not just the hardware.

jas

15. I had windows xp and loved it. I have corneal ectasia and that makes ork difficult for me so now I have to actually think about this system..so i hate it. :rofl: I liked using the old stuff..the new stuff is for notebooks and phones..I am using it for lawsuits..etc. So how do I get used to this real fast? Do you have any idea if my old Wordperfect 10 will work on windows 8 or which version do I have to buy? Thanks

16. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Mar 10, 2007
    KY
    I jumped from desktop PCs that I built myself to a MacBook Pro, and I'm pretty happy. My next laptop purchase will probably be another Apple computer. I'm a bit concerned with the Retina display MBP not allowing you to update the RAM, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

17. Been running Linux (Fedora and now Fuduntu) on commodity PC hardware for years with no problems, virus, etc. No need for expensive MAC hardware. The best thing Bill Gates did was to create a bloated, hardware hungry OS so that hardware manufacturers had to create cheap, powerful machines for it to run on. Drop Linux on this hardware and you have the best environment of them all for mucho cheap.

18. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    Wordperfect? I haven't used Wordperfect since the 486 days.
    Wow, you are a Luddite.
    :shocked:

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Dec 5, 2002
    Dallas TX
    It stands to reason that many Mac adopters moved from POS PCs.

I didn't. The PCs I've owned and the PCs I still own while not on the world class rodded gamer level are none the less well RAM'd, HDD'd, de-fragged regularly, virus protected, fire-walled and most importantly not ancient or abused.