close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lifetime PC user - just picked up first MacBook. DONE WITH PC.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Jul 8, 2008
    This escalated quickly!

I love my new MacBook, but dang guys!

2. LawScholar

LawScholar

Aug 23, 2011
    Wyoming
    I was from the very start...I don't buy desktop systems pre-built. It's not necessary with a decent bit of tech knowledge.

Note my first post on the matter.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

3. Durden

Durden

Oct 5, 2010
    I could build 3 very high end systems for what Mac charges.

I know because I built one, just 4 months ago. They don't make a Mac that can touch it.

4. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Well, its always cheaper to build than to buy. In pretty much anything.

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    I gotcha.

I don't and have no interest in it.

If I could find the same user experience off the shelf from another company at a better price I'd buy it. I haven't seen it though.

6. LawScholar

LawScholar

Aug 23, 2011
    Wyoming
    That's fair. For an off-the-shelf experience, especially for the non-tech-inclined, Apple does great work,

Again, I'm typing this on an iPhone, because I want a simple, smooth-running phone and don't care about the Android advantages for customization.

7. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

Mar 19, 2012
    Fixed your post for you. You are talking about desktops. We are talking about laptops.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. arizona_andy

arizona_andy Caliber Realist

Jul 14, 2007
    Macs users remind me of the type of people who don't change their own oil (or don't even know that it needs to be changed..) They don't care how anything works, they don't care if the issues they are seeing are being caused by themselves, and they have some strange idea in their mind that PCs are unreliable -- very much like someone driving 150,000 miles without changing the oil, and then complaining that their car is unreliable.

One other thing that doesn't get touched on very much is that the amount of choice you have is extremely limited with Macs. Am I the only one who noticed that Macs are all the same color with the same bland, overly-minimalistic appearance? Where is the choice of being able to pick something that reflects your personality? I thought Apple was so wonderful and innovative -- yet, their computer cases are nothing more than a rounded rectangle that any design student could create in 5 minutes. Frankly, these simplistic designs we see from Apple time and time again are about as interesting as a room full of Japanese businessmen in their grey suits. How exciting, innovative and creative! :upeyes: Heck, you can't even get one in black.

Oh, and by the way, once more virus creators start targeting Apple you'll be seeing the same kind of problems you had with Windows (it's already happening, actually.) And that is because the problem lies with the users, not the OS. If you run a program that is meant to delete all your files on a Mac, it will delete all your files. Macs are not magical. The only issue right now is that 99.99999% of the malware/viruses floating around only run on Windows. Wait until they become more common on Macs. Take a look: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/...ter-virus-indicates-mac-users-no-longer-safe/

9. RangerGibson

RangerGibson

Dec 13, 2012
    TEXAS
    ^Truth

As macs continue to overtake more and more of the computer market they will one day be targeted on the same level that pc is now.

10. LawScholar

LawScholar

Aug 23, 2011
    Wyoming
    He was replying to my post, which was about the Mac Pro desktop system.

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    You're just being whiny. Comparing milled aluminum unibody to the plethora of craptastic black plastic pc laptops and calling them bland is funny.

People can argue specs all they want but in terms of design there is no comparison.

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    I actually like the bland, plain, rectangle look of the macbook a lot. It is very simple and clean, and looks very nice.

13. LawScholar

LawScholar

Aug 23, 2011
    Wyoming
    A number of PC makers make Mac-quality cases now. Check out the Dell XPS Ultrabooks & HP Envy Ultrabooks.

The Dell XPS Ultrabook is one I've used for about a week on loan from a friend. It's very, very nice, machined aluminum and carbon fiber. Starting at $1000.

Though my current laptop, about 2 1/2 years old, is an HP Pavilion dv6, and yeah, this thing is kinda junky. One of my hinges is loose and the body feels like a Mattel toy. To be fair to it, I expected it to fall apart within a month or two. I'm a VERY heavy user, my computer is on with diligent notes being taken for hours practically every day, and my typing strikes are pretty hard. But it has hung in there, knock on wood.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ultrabooks-home?c=us&l=en&cs=19

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/static/page-envy-ultrabooks

14. Chonny

Chonny

Mar 30, 2010
    Edmond, OK
    Ive got a 15" MacBook Pro and a 13" Sony Vaio S. They are both amazing machines. I would not want to have to choose between one or the other and I dont see why so many people want to do that.

15. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    [​IMG]
    Why limit yourself to just vanilla ice cream?
    I like all the flavors.
    L-R, Dell Ubuntu 10.10, Samsung Windows 8, Apple MBAir OSX

16. RangerGibson

RangerGibson

Dec 13, 2012
    TEXAS
    Exactly what I was saying a page back, both operating systems have their uses. How is windows 8 working out for you? I have heard some mixed reviews about it

17. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

Ah the ol' Ford vs Chevy, Coke vs Pepsi, PC vs Mac religious wars. Gotta love 'em.

I say: use what works for you. And note that what works for you may not work for someone else.

Since we're all whipping it out...

I'm writing this on my 15" Retina Macbook Pro right now. It's probably my 4th or 5th MBP; I never get rid of the previous ones because they're "broken" or "useless". I get rid of them because I like the specs of the next one. That said, these Retina laptops are phenomenal! Specially the 2880x1800 resolution I'm currently running it at. Just unreal on a 15" screen. But, the potential downside of these specific models of MBPs: they're less end-user serviceable due to choices Apple made. The current generation of MBP that isn't Retina is still end-user serviceable

My previous MBP (now in my mom's hands) was immediately customized by me the second I got it. I ripped the back plate off and upgrade the RAM from 4G to 8, while removing the spinning disk and replacing it with an Intel SSD. Who says you can't work on 'em?

Up in my office, I have what I consider a juggernaut of a Mac Pro that has been highly customized by yours truly after purchasing it. In fact, I purchased it used knowing full well I intended to overhaul it: 2 new Xeon processors, 48G of RAM, PC-based nVidia video card flashed to work properly in a Mac, a Blu-Ray player to replace the OEM DVD-ROM, and an SSD in the second external 5.25" bay to boot from and store applications. That left the other 4 drive bays open for a bunch more drives. That machine is my video editing rig.

But sitting right next to it: my Windows 7 gaming rig. Brand new LGA2011 motherboard and chip, nVidia GTX680 Classified, 2 SSDs striped together for the C: drive, and 3 24" LCD panels connected to it for the full "surround" gaming experience.

In the closet in my office: another PC running VMWare ESXi, which has a bunch of various VMs on it including: a few Linux VMs, a Solaris VM, FreeBSD, and hell, even a Windows 2008 server VM.

Next to the VM server: a 4-bay QNAP NAS where I store all my stuff. Connected to it: a 4-bay RAID5 enclosure that serves as a directly-attached backup for the NAS.

In my living room: an HTPC made with components that are a couple of years old, running Windows 7. Why's it there? I digitize all of my DVDs and Blu-Rays, and use it to play them in the living room.

Next to that: my router. A small mini-ITX system with 3 GigE interfaces in it, running Linux off of a USB stick, and routing all of the traffic through my cable modem and around the house.

Lots to read, but the executive summary is: use what works for you.

(And yes, I change my own oil, and do a lot more than that, too).

jas

18. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    Win8 took me about 10 minutes to familiarize myself with the start menu/metro interface and menu locations then another 5 minutes to set it up the way I like.
    After that it's been fast and stable.
    It's different but the same.

I use Win8 for Office and Windows native software. The business world standard is still Windows and will be for the foreseeable future.

I use Ubuntu as my home internet machine. Pretty much virus and malware proof and allows me to surf the seedy side of the net with impunity.

The MBAir is my traveling companion. There's really nothing like it in the ultrabook category. OSX is more secure than Windows, especially when utilizing open networks on the road. If I have any issues while on the road it's nice to have access to an Apple store for immediate repairs. A Lenovo X1 carbon running Ubuntu would make a good replacement, but the MBAir works great right out of the box.

People getting all wound up and married to a computer OS is amusing and sad at the same time.

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    So to my point to the guy complaining that the Mac notebook line was dull and lacking design features, in this respect they lead the market and the other makers are following.

My 2 personal machines are a MBP15 and a MBA11. Both dual booting Win7 via parallels.

I purchased the MBA to lighten my travel bag and improve usability over the crappy Dell Latitude my employer issues. It is a phenomenal machine and has become my primary. I take it with me everywhere.

Also in the house I have a 2006 MBP17 in need of a new HDD, a 13MBP, a 13MBA, 2006 MB.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  20. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    Edited

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012