close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Liberal Churches are Dying, Conservative Churches are Thriving

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Paul7, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    If we had a forum called Race Issues, do you think the demographic in there would match the demographic out in society? Or do you think the minority who deals with Race Issues the most would be more greatly represented in there?

And don't even pretend that you don't love the strong representation of non believers in this forum. You wouldn't start threads like-

Lunging, Flailing, Mispunching, A Critique of The God Delusion
    Liberal Churches are Dying, Conservative Churches are Thriving
    Empirical Evidence and God
    Mark Zuckerberg Reveals He's No Longer an Atheist
    Perhaps One Less Country for Atheists to Flee to..........

- if you didn't want to have debates with non believers.

2. KCHonie

KCHonie

Nov 6, 2016
    Floriduh
    Americans and religion increasingly parting ways

On American attitudes toward religion, UC Berkeley researchers found that 20 percent of a nationally representative group reported no religious preference. That’s a jump from 1990 when all but 8 percent of Americans polled identified with an organized faith.

[​IMG]

Over all, the religiously unaffiliated number 56 million and represent 23 percent of adults, up from 36 million and 16 percent in 2007, Pew estimates. Nearly half of the growth was from atheists and agnostics, whose tallies nearly doubled to 7 percent of adults. The remainder of the unaffiliated, those who describe themselves as having “no particular religion,” were less likely to say that religion was an important part of their lives than eight years ago.

The ranks of the unaffiliated have been bolstered by former Christians. Nearly a quarter of people who were raised as Christian have left the group, and ex-Christians now represent 19 percent of adults.

3. Paul7

Paul7

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    I'm just point out atheists are grossly overrepresented on GTRI compared to normal America.

4. Paul7

Paul7

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    And lots of people who become Christian were not raised in Christian households, including my wife and both parents.

The US is only 5% of the world's population. Globally, Christianity is projected to grow 35% by 2050. China will soon be the one of the world's largest Christian nation.

What is true in your chart today doesn't mean that trend will continue. It could equally be said of America prior to our past Great Awakenings. We need another one.

5. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    And I'm pointing out to you that if you create a forum called Race Issues, you're going to have an greater representation of minorities in there compared to average society.

Based on your position that there is an "over" representation, you must wish there were fewer atheists in here.

6. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
  7. KCHonie

KCHonie

Nov 6, 2016
    Floriduh
    "Younger adults have been particularly likely to join the unaffiliated in recent years. In 2007, 25 percent of 18-to-26-year-olds were unaffiliated; now 34 percent of the same cohort is unaffiliated.

But the unaffiliated share of the population is increasing among older Americans as well. The Christian share of the population born before 1964 has dipped by 2 percentage points since 2007.

There are few signs that the decline in Christian America will slow. Although some might assume that young people will become more religious as they age, the Pew data gives reason to think otherwise.

“It’s not that they start unaffiliated and become religious,” Mr. Cooperman said. “In fact, it’s the opposite.”

At the same time, every new cohort has been less affiliated than the last, with even the youngest millennials proving less affiliated, at 36 percent, than older millennials, at 34 percent."

I would argue that the great awakening is taking place in the US as we speak. It is just not the kind you were hoping for.​

8. Paul7

Paul7

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    Why? In many areas, whites are a minority.

Stop projecting.

9. Paul7

Paul7

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    The atheists are already here, although I'm flattered you think my threads are the reason for that. In my ongoing effort to witness to the lost, GTRI is a good spot to fish. I have other fishing spots.

10. Paul7

Paul7

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden

Many will come to their senses later in life.

The suicide of the West continues, with resulting family breakdown, crime, drug use, etc.

As the saying goes, past performance is not a guarantee of future results.

Why do you care so much what other people think?

11. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
  12. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    Nice try on moving the goalposts. You set the paramaters yourself ..."GTRI compared to normal America."

Why would I have a desire for there to be fewer atheists on here? I would need to have that desire to be "projecting".

Are you stating that you do NOT wish there were fewer atheists on here?

So you admit to targeting atheists. You admit that you consider this place a "fishing spot" and you consider it a "good spot to fish". So you MUST be glad there are so many atheists here for you to "witness to".

13. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    LOL
    It seems to me you are reeling in one of them...

14. KCHonie

KCHonie

Nov 6, 2016
    Floriduh
    Doubtful...

15. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    And it's not just a shift in numbers. There's a softening within religion. Despite the noisy, obnoxious religious branches, most churches realize they have an image problem and are working on being more open. Grandpa's religion isn't necessarily today's religion. Those voting with their feet may walk over to the church with the best child-care program and give little thought to Biblical interpretations.

16. KCHonie

KCHonie

Nov 6, 2016
    Floriduh
    A good start would be for the religious to use the bible as a spiritual guide rather than as a science textbook and to actually try to act more like jesus...

When they insist on using the bible as a science book then by default each new scientific discovery paints their god into a smaller and smaller corner.

17. Paul7

Paul7

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    I meant you're projecting a meaning I never meant.

It's called the Great Commission. Aren't you glad there are believers here you can evangelize?

18. Paul7

Paul7

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    See the OP, those are exactly the churches in greatest decline.

19. Paul7

Paul7

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    Why would we care what atheists think? Do I give atheists advice what they should think about atheism?

20. Dave514

Dave514

Jul 6, 2013
    USSA
    Are you stating that you do NOT wish there were fewer atheists on here for you to "witness" to?