close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lexington KY Match - worth long drive?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jeeper33, Aug 28, 2011.

1. jeeper33

jeeper33

Good evening all:

New to the forum, but not to GSSF. A friend and I are thinking about driving down to the Lexington match in October. We'd be looking at about 9 hours of driving, and I was wondering if anyone has been to it before, and if it's worth going to? I've heard the range itself is really unique, being nearby a military post(supposedly) and such.

Can anyone personally recommend the match?

Looking forward to your response

--Jeep

2. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

We go to it when we can (about 8 hours for us) but as of late, the Cumberland Jeep Jamboree has been held on the same weekend as the match.

The location is very nice with a lovely clubhouse. Every bit worth the drive in my book. Friendly people and a well ran match. We always take the ferry on the way home, just a nice short deversion on the way back to the interstate.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

No one's ever pointed out a military base near the range, but the Blue Grass Army Depot is some distance to the east on the other side of the river, south of Richmond.

That said, I love the range there, and the area in general. I've been hitting that match for many years.....not too sure about this year yet though.....got Hallsville, Conyers, and Milwaukee first! :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  4. Butch

:thumbsup:

Just be sure you get to it before 8 PM!
    [​IMG]

5. hagan34

hagan34

The match is just south of Lexington, so as nice as the ferry is it not like you must take it to get there. No military base close by, as mentioned bluegrass army depot is in Richmond about 25 miles south east. If I stumble across some money between now and then I'll be coming in from western colorado for this match. For any one not from the commonwealth and staying in the Lexington area you all owe it yourselfs to find one of the ramesy's restaurants and have hot brown.

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I like Lexington and it is on my "must shoot list" and with that said this will be the 2nd year i've missed it. shooting in Thibodaux at the LA. Gator Classic instead.

7. mike g35

mike g35

My father and I are defintely going to this one. I live only about 2 hours away. Hope to see you there, wish I had an opinion on this but it will only be my 2nd match.

8. Butch

Huh? Shooting gators???

:supergrin:

9. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Of the matches I attend Lexington is my favorite. I'd go this year too, but the 1911 Class with Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn is the same weekend and I'm signed up for it. Next year for sure. You can also go by Bud's in Lexington.

10. The Highlander

The Highlander

Wifey and I will be coming up to Lexington. Coming up from Knoxville TN area. Looking at the map, you can't get there from here! Where is this ferry and does it make the trip over from the interstate shorter? Looking for a nice hotel and restaurants in the area too, if you can give me some help, I'd appreciate it!

11. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

I plan on attending, and look forward to meeting many fellow GT'ers. It will be my first match as a master so...... I'm hoping to have fun and be as competetive as I can. Hope to see you all there!:wavey:

12. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

bring your scuba gear

You are now in the deep end :O)

13. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Thanks lethal, Does anyone know of a good shark repellent?:faint:

In all seriousness, I think I'll be fine, I have been getting some mentoring from some of the more "seasoned" masters. They gave me some great advice, which is nice. Its all about having fun and shooting the best that YOU can, not worrying about who else will show up and how your going to have shoot to beat them.

GSSF has already been pretty good to me, If I shoot as well as I know I can I will be competitive. If not, well at least Ill have fun in the process.

Sorry for going off topic.

14. hagan34

hagan34

The best way to get there from knoxvages would be to get off 75 at the Richmond rd / Athens exit believe it's 104 left on Richmond rd, left on man-o-war and left on Harrodsburg rd. Or I can give you some nice senic roads if you want?

Not sure on hotels but there are more then a few on Harrodsburg rd close to new circle rd. Usually stay at our house or with family when we are in town, sorry I can't help more. I'll ask the wife more on food as she grew up in Lexington.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  15. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

I've taken that ferry. First on in a biiigggg, heavy, Ford F350 "dualee".

First on, in that big heavy truck. The whole shebang is down by the bow.

So, I had an unobstructed view of water on all three sides.

Visions of the "Missoura Boat Ride" from "The Outlaw Josie Wales" running through my mind as I felt the thing shift in the water under me!

Release seat belt. Open window. Make sure door is unlocked.

If we go IN, I'm sure as heck getting out and do not get in my way!

:rofl:

Thanks but no thanks.

After that, I have just gone the long way around, up I-75 to Lexington, west to the roads leading to Wilmore, south to Wilmore.

Having said all that, that ferry and it's predecessors have been in operation since the 1700's so by this time the operators do know what they are doing!

By the way. Coming up from the south, via Knoxville, the Lex match is usually at the height of fall colors. If the sun us out, that stretch between Knox and Lex is just gorgeous.

:supergrin:

16. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I find that going Through Wilmore to the Court House (I think it isMaple st.)turning west (that is left if you are coming from the direction of Man O War)

Maple turns into Wilmore Rd.

going straight ahead until you go over the interstate and come to a Tee (68 29( it may no longer be a tee but turn left at 29

turn left and in a short distance you come to the split with the gas station

keep left of the station and you are on the right road (29-lexington rd turns into high bridge rd turn left at handys bend)

17. Noponer

Noponer

No problem if you did go in...

you are so big, all you have to do is stand up & walk out of the water! - :rofl:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

19. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

This match is a must on my list and is only 3 1/2 hours away. The hills and the tree colors at that time of the year, make it worth my drive. However, the Bluegrass Sportsmans Club and this match, is great. Each shooting bay is great and unique and the ROs are super nice people. It's a great match if you're a newby, because the ROs will help you. Make a neat weekend out of your nine hour drive and include this match. It's worth it!

20. mike g35

mike g35

Sounds like alot of the same people I met in Beckley will be in Lexington. I truely hope to see you all there and wish you luck just in case I miss you. This will be my 2nd match and my fathers 1st so I am really glad to hear the more experienced shooters say this is a "good one". Now if I can just beat my scores from the Beckley match I will be a happy guy. I'm shooting a new division this time too, Comp.. So I guess that means I get to shoot with masters in two divisions(UL and Comp). I like that, I know I won't win but I get too see where I stand in those two anyway (and its two more chances at a random pistol!!!). See ya there GT'ers.