close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lets talk motorcycles

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dabigguns357, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

Yep. Both were on Battlestar Gallactica as well. They really do ride all over the place.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

2. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I vote for a ninja 250, old or new gen depending on how much you want to spend.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It just make things more difficult, but nothing changes.

BTW, those two chicks wouldn't need any help at all. Cylons are usually stronger than humans.

4. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Thats gender-bender Starbuck.

5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Very true, but we're talking motorcycles in this thread, not plastic toys.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Exactly. Cruisers aren't real motorcycles. That's why they're referred to as "scooters" regardless of engine displacement and weight.

7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Scooters are what fat chicks ride.

8. Halojumper

Halojumper

Look on the ride like a pro video. He uses a smaller woman to demonstrate it there.

9. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Scooters are what fat dudes in assless chaps ride as well.

10. ray9898

ray9898

As above....a MSF course is a must but I don't think a rider with zero experience would do well. She will need something just to learn the controls so she will be comfortable before a class.

I know several guys who got their wives involved. The ones who succeeded picked up small 250's which helped build confidence while they learned the basics. Two still ride them this day, the rest sold them later on for pretty much what they had in them. I know two who started with a full size cruisers and neither took to it because they were never comfortable learning on a heavy bike.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

My wife took the MSF basic class in 2008, never having ridden a motorcycle of any kind before. She got a Harley 883 Sportster and has been riding it ever since. Not difficult.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

The class is definitely not difficult, but it has enough technical difficulty to weed out those who can't throttle/clutch/brake/balance at the same time. Or at least give them a heads-up on their wants anyway.

Though chances are after failing the MSF course, they'd head down to the local joint and pick up an 800-lbs cruiser/175-HP Hayabusa anyway because those pricks in the class don't know that they are really mature and can really handle motorcycles, and the drills are stupid anyway.

13. sappy13

sappy13

having her take a msf course also has another HUGE plus. You dont have to teach her on your bike or the one you buy for her. That 250 bucks for the class pays for it self with just that simple fact. They expect people to drop those bike and possibly have a small wreck, so if it happens it happens. And no tension between the 2 of you if she is having a hard time doing something you try to teach her since the instructors will be doing all that.

14. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

Sounds like money well spent.

We don't have a lot of deallers around here and the one we went by wasn't terribly helpfull as all they had was high end dirtbikes and road kings,and no used ones.

I guess the season is kinda gone for the used ones,thats ok we still need safety courses and the spring time.

15. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

In my nearly 40 years riding I've ridden with several groups that had some of the more petite ladies riding the Honda Rebels. They look great and perform great. They are great bikes. I never saw anyone have any problems.

16. eaglefrq

eaglefrq NRA Member

Unfortunately, that is all to common. It seems like motorcycle dealerships are more than willing to sell the big heavy cruisers and sport bikes to brand new riders who obviously can't handle them.

On the flip side, I have seen (rarely) a salesman try and talk someone out of a certain bike and the person is adamant and won't accept the advice of the dealer.

If you know someone that is knowledgeable about bikes, I would check craigslist and have your friend go with you to look at them.

17. The Maggy

The Maggy

Start small and pass the MSF.

It doesn't matter if her feet can touch the ground, how loud the pipes are, how much the bike weighs, how much chrome is on the engine, ect...

What matters is the first time some one cuts her off in traffic or she gooses the throttle coming up to an intersection. Bigger bikes are going to be less tolerant of beginner mistakes. That rebel 250 may not be able to handle highway speeds (it tops out at 75-80) but if she freezes or freaks out, she's not going to be straddling a rocket ship.

1)Good training with practice after the course is over. The MSF gives you a ground level to build off of. They teach you the basics, the basics need to be practiced.

2)Good gear that you actually researched (not all gear is the same)

3)A well maintained bike that she can handle (both physically and mentally.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  18. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

It's always a balancing act - I sold motorcycles while I was in college and also rode them competitively during that period. I would always try to sell a person who was new to motorcycling as large a bike as I though they could handle, just so they wouldn't quickly outgrow a smaller motorcycle.

19. dabigguns357

dabigguns357

Once we get the safeties out of the way and find her a comfortable bike,i have the perfect road to get her some experience on.

Rural route 2 that spans from Huntington Wv all the way up to Mason,WV,about 2 hours by car.

Farms on the right and Ohio river on the left as far as the eye can see with suprisingly little traffic.What i would call perfect for beginners including me,and it's only 2 miles from my house.

20. Halojumper

Halojumper