close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Let's talk honestly about Harley-Davidson's current offerings

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Nov 14, 2005.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Ride what you want to ride and all that good jazz aside, I really would like to know why the "slow" mentality in modern H-Ds. Let's talk honestly and be civil about this because I'm truly curious.

I'm not quite of a speed nut, but I do like a fast motorcycle, and I really think that H-D got something there with the V-Rod and Street Rod series. But I've seen so many "hard core" Harley riders denouncing these bikes as not "real" Harleys. So what is a "real" Harley? Same thing with the Sportster series that seem to get knocked down pretty good by the "hard core" Harley riders.

I'm not professing to be an H-D enthusiast but I know enough about motorcycling to remember how H-Ds were pretty hot stuff back in the days and they still acquit themselves quite well on dirt track. And then there's drag racing where the V-Rod is currently doing fabulously.

So where did the slow & heavy cruiser mentality come in? Harley has a proud racing heritage, so why are the "real" Harley riders keep harping about if one were to want a fast bike then get something else? Why can't one want a "real" Harley that's also fast and handles decently?

H-D riders, please enlighten me.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter
    Expand Collapse

I think the only "Real" Harley riders, are the ones that don't care what anyone else rides. When someone strives to fit an image of "Harley" and denounces others that vary from that image... they've become a poser. Harleys IMO don't have varying levels of realness. Lastly, I'm not a Harley fan, but I'd ride a stock Sportster before I straddled one of those gawdawful overhyped choppers.

The last Harley I rode was a new mid-90's Sportster. I noted a great deal of vibration, and the engine performance and brakes were sub-par. IMO, that description fits the image of the ideal Harley. ;)

3. BikerRN

BikerRN
    Expand Collapse

The so called "Real Harley Riders" knock the V-Rod because it's not a traditional air cooled Harley. Back in the day the Sportster was the first real "Superbike" but has now been downgraded to a woman's bike.

Personally I think it's all about gratification and ego for 90% of the RUBS out there. Most of them trailer their bike to events. Me, I rode wherever I had to go, managed to do 10,000 miles in one year just riding to lunch. I met so many Harley riders that were proud of only doing 2,000 miles in 3 years but had attended 5 Rallies.

I used to ride an FXD but now ride a Ducati. The Duc is 10X the bike the Harley is and I can do the same long distances but have better performance in the twisties with better brakes, engine, suspension, and what not. Personally I don't care what you ride, just that you ride. If you spend more time polishing than riding I don't want to know you.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

BikerRN,

But it's not fair to compare a Multistrada to a cruiser. Or comparing a crotch rocket to a cruiser. I guess I'm looking for answers not how Harleys are compared to other makes but compared to each other. And why would Harley owners themselves would consider other H-D products to be not "real" Harleys.

I mean I don't see a BMW owner would say something like the F-series or the K-series aren't real BMWs because they aren't flat twins. Or if you want fast, then buy something else.

5. NMGlocker

NMGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    BOOM headshot

That's because all BMW's have one thing in common....... they are horribly ugly.
    ;g
    The "real" Harley riders seem to be stuck in the 50's and 60's. Real Harley's are low, wide, slow cruisers, that vibrate and make a lot of noise.
    A real Harley is the absolute best bike made...... if you want to convert gasoline into noise and vibration without any nasty by-products (like horsepower).

6. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

;z

Personally, if I were in the market for a cruiser, Yamaha would get my dough. More specifically a Road Star Warrior.

As for the "real Harley rider" thing. Real harley riders don't give a damn what other people ride, only the posers do. Real Harley riders don't get all dressed up in S&M leather and fringe, they get on with whatever they have on. I can respect a real harley rider as they are doing what they like to do and can respect others that are doing the same.

BTW reminds me of a Jesse James interview I read in a magazine. In it he said he is a "huge fan" of the Hayabusa and hates "Harley people" and prefers "sportbike guys". He said "all Harley guys are like "hey check out my new chaps"". Now by my defenition Jesse is a real harley guy. He respects other aspects of bike riding , not just his own thing.

7. hayabusa200

hayabusa200
    Expand Collapse

8. wvwayne

wvwayne
    Expand Collapse

Some people say that the Sportster is a Girls bike.I simply do not see this.The Sportster (was) Harleys hot rod before the VRod came out,and the VRod is still the only Harley product that will beat the Sportster.A new 1200 Sporster with a stage one kit will put about 85 HP to the pavement.Most 95 inch Big Twins can't even match that at the crank.Now for the people not in the know, a stage one kit for a Sporster is Pipes,Air Cleaner and rejet the carb.Now maybe I am getting old but a 1200 Sportster with a stage one will run the QT mile at about 12.2 sec.The same as the new ZO 6 Corvette and nobody is calling it slow or a girls car.;Q

9. epsylum

epsylum
    Expand Collapse
    Boolit Hoze

To be fair, bikes are supposed to beat cars in a straight line. I mean a Hayabusa beats the crap out of a McLaren F1 or a Porsche Carerra GT. Even my old GPz 1100 will spank most cars on the road.

I think the Vrod would be more "Harley" if Harley actually designed the entire thing. They took the easy way out and paid someone to design thier engine (Porsche), instead of actually learning how to do it themselves. Kind of like how GM thought they could "buy" a LeMans win with thier Cadillac LMP car instead of doing it the hard way like Audi. The Audi is in the record books and everyone forgets about the Cadillac.

10. BushyAR15

BushyAR15
    Expand Collapse

I currently own a V-rod. I consider myself a motorcyclist, having done some touring, RoadRaced for many years. Anyways, people think that the V-rod is not a real harley because its not air-cooled and doesn't have that "classic" harley look.

The V-rod is not a big seller in the US. One of the few bikes that actually dropped in price some. But the V-Rod is hugely popular everywhere else in the world.

Also alot of people incorrectly believe that Porsche designed the engine. Not true. Porsche took the H-D VR1000 engine used for Roadracing and helped "massage" that into the current Revolution motor.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

12. NMGlocker

NMGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    BOOM headshot

A girl here in town has a 12 sec. Dodge Neon....... and it IS a girls car.
    ;)
    Maybe "real" Harley riders understand their place in life..... "slower traffic must keep right".
    Seriously, a Harley is strictly a Saturday night cruiser, something to be seen (and heard) on.
    Maybe "real" Harley riders know that the Sportster and VRod are just poser bikes. When you buy a "performance" Harley, you are the ultimate poser.

13. H-D&GLOCK

H-D&GLOCK
    Expand Collapse
    Harley Rider

I have had full dressed cruisers and a 1200 sportster. The sportster was faster and snappier than any of my other Harleys. Real fun in town, hot dogging, but not much for the long run, too rough a ride and too small a gas tank. Test rode a V-Rod at a rally, and I just did not like the look feel or ride or it. But that is just my opinion, it is still a Harley. Just not for me.

14. Markcuda

Markcuda
    Expand Collapse
    A gun a month

15. wvwayne

wvwayne
    Expand Collapse

• I have a subscription to Road&Track and I do not see many 12 sec. street cars,so in that light I would say that a sportster will spank most street cars also.I might also add that this tread is about Harley Davidson Motor Cycles And How They Compair To Oneanother Not Scuzukies.
    ;f

16. TimP

TimP
    Expand Collapse
    1 Proud Infidel

I think the average Harley owner likes to be seen, and much as he likes to ride. Flancy chrome, loud pipes, custom paint, HD leather etc etc etc. Then you have some that like harleys and like to ride. I see these more as your Vrod and sportster owners.

Then you have your jap bike riders ( my group ). We like going fast, performance, and don't give a crap what anybody else thinks.

Of course there are exceptions to each one, but those are the averages as I see it.

If I was buying a cruiser, it would not be a harley. Yamaha Road Star Warrior.

17. BikerRN

BikerRN
    Expand Collapse

Why do Harley Riders consider the Sportster a Girl's bike?:: I don't know they just do.

Why isn't the V-Rod considered a real Harley?:: I don't know it just ain't.

OK, that's the most long-winded logical explanation I can give. Personally I think the V-Rod engine in the Electraglide would be a killer touring scoot.

18. wolfy692005

wolfy692005
    Expand Collapse
    pro tinkerer

i am what some say is a "hard core" harley rider. I do have a job and i dont wear colors. But i ride a lot. I dont care what you ride either, i have had really great friends who ride anything and everything and each have there own good points and bad. The new harleys are slow. Harley will tell you it is because of the EPA restrictions, but in reality it is the engine design (with the cam or cams in the lower position and with pushrods moving the valve train) you can make horse power this way but it is more expesive than overhead cams etc. I do like the air cooled v-twin design, but i built and yes i mean built not like OCC that mostly assemble bikes, to cruse. It does exactly what i want it to do and how i want it to, If harley or anyone else did that i would buy one and not build it, but thay dont. I do have a 120hp engine with a 6 speed tranny and can cruse at 90 all day if i want ( and do a lot) but i have no desire to " do the twisties at that speed" not that there is anything at all wrong with that, i just dont want to do it. I dont care if anyone else in the world likes my bike, they dont have to ride it. I would never tell anyone that they are not good enough to ride with me because they do or dont ride a harley or any other bike for that matter, i ride with people because i like the people not the bike. I have helped many a stranded person i never knew just because they were on the side of the road. I will stop if they are on a harley but my knowlage in not good on other bikes, but the systems are the same. if i can help i usually do.. i have put on average 12,000 miles a year on my custom chopper the last 4 years that i have ad it finished, and it is in need of a new rear tire right now as the cords are showing through. by the way anyone want to go for a ride? maybe go pop off a couple at the local range?
    have a great day.
    ;f

19. TimP

TimP
    Expand Collapse
    1 Proud Infidel

^c

20. Markcuda

Markcuda
    Expand Collapse
    A gun a month

Cool :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: