Lets talk Hemp

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by DoctaGlockta, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Anyone here store Hemp seeds or hearts?

I've recently discovered their ultimate super food status and started eating them.

I'm now looking to add them to longterm storage. I've found bulk supplies online but unsure whether the whole seed should be stored or just the hearts. Perhaps a bit of both. From what I have read it is an easy plant to grow and cultivate.

It is a shame that it cannot be grown here in the US at the moment per the DEA.

Thanks advance for any info gentlemen.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Lets talk ADCOR BEAR Black Rifle Forum May 10, 2015
    Lets talk ethics / morality ..... Religious Issues Nov 2, 2014
    Lets talk about the Kurds... The Okie Corral Aug 10, 2014
    Talk to me about plated bullets.. Reloading Jul 29, 2014
    Lets talk Tourniquets Cop Talk Dec 30, 2013

3. Yep. The administration doesn't care if Colorado opens pot stores yet won't allow Kentucky farmers to grow hemp. It must be nice to be a swing state.

4. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

Get high much?

5. What? I don't get high a all. There's practically no THC in industrial hemp. You don't smoke it.

6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

While you were discovering its super food status, did you bother to read about its growing requirements? It, like other pot plants, doesn't particularly care for many of the common growing conditions and fertilizers/nutrients. You'll find its miraculously super-fooderific qualities diminished if you stick it in your backyard and treat it like a Zucchini plant. Also, you only get seeds if you've got pollinators and plants of both genders. Aaand as an extra added bonus, the novice can't tell the difference between young male an female plants until the females start to flower and the male's pollen sacs start to open, at which time its too late to try to spin up the missing gender plants if you don't have any.

Which brings me back to plants like Zuchinni, which are far more tolerant of abuse and are hermaphrodites, so you could pollinate each plant yourself with a feather, for example, if the pollinators couldn't get to them. When planning for your post-SHTF garden, remember: simple is better.

#6 John Rambo, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. c01

c01 Crazy Eye

It's actually really easy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

9. I don't know anything about its food properties. But when I lived in Kentucky, the Commonwealth's Agricultural Commissioner was trying to get permission from the federal government to allow all the dying tobacco farms to harvest hemp again. Most of the articles were about its textile potential. I think it passed the state legislature but the petition to the fed failed. However, I've read that Holder's recent comment about not enforcing any federal pot laws against the growers in Colorado probably inadvertently opened the door for Kentucky farmers anyway.

10. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

As evidenced by all the high quality pot that comes up from Mexico where its grown on large outdoor farms. :upeyes:

Its actually not easy at all to grow a quality pot plant of any variety for any use. Especially when compared to how easy it is to grow more common crops.

11. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Well, it grows fast when treated right, so thats in its favor...but so do lots of trees. I think harvesting and replanting more trees would yield more product? Not sure about how, exactly, its textile properties are put to use vs. other plants.

#10 John Rambo, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. I don't know either. All I know is the KY farmers were/are pretty exited about being able to switch to it and it was a pretty big political issue when I left.

13. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

Go HEMP Go Hemp!

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So what makes it a better food source than other, cheaper and easier to get foods? Exotic and hard to find isn't really what comes to mind when I think of storing bulk food for emergencies.

15. I have no idea if its a better food source in a pinch than anything else or not. I didn't even know you could eat it.

#15 yz9890, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  16. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor
    CLM

I had some in brownies a long time ago.....but I kinda' forget what it tasted like.....but think it made me hungry......:supergrin:

17. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Ah, well that actually might be useful depending on yield after harvesting. Especially in the right conditions - with proper care and the proper application of otherwise harmful levels of wind, those plants can grow a mighty fat stalk on them. The idea of hemp as a food source is just stoner talk, but if you can use the stalk, that has potential.

18. Raiden

Raiden C&R Fun!

Once you start to take a more critical look at the propaganda, the appeal of it starts to diminish a lot to the casual grower. Most of the benefits will only apply to large scale professional growers, who already have the resources to adequately produce a useful and sustainable crop. For the home grower, there are better - less exotic - products which would have a better yield for food and building materials. Maybe this will change if the product gets widespread acceptance, and more supplies and techniques for home growers are developed. Frankly, I don't see it ever losing its stigma among the ruling class of America, for generations. To the small scale casual grower - especially in an off-grid or emergency situation - it's probably not a very good crop choice.

19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I'm going to wait and see if Tommy Chong actually cures his prostate cancer by drinking hemp oil, as he thinks he's going to, before I'll believe hemp has any sort of "superfood" properties.

And I'd really need to hear a lot of specifics about exactly what chemical substances in pot seeds constitute a superfood, and exactly what chemical effect it has on the human body that's supposed to be so great.

To me it sounds like more rubbish some stoner made up off the top of his head.