close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lets talk ammo

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by rscottk90, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood
    Expand Collapse

do yourself a favor and zero it at a similar angle and yardage as you are going to shoot. the angle reduces the amount of time gravity has to effect the bullet and causes them to shoot high. the greater the angle, they higher they shoot off a given zero.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SKYWLKR

SKYWLKR
    Expand Collapse

You absolutely don't want a High velocity round for 85-100 yards, wont make it that far and still be super.

Get a good match bullet like Wolf I pick off squirrel size steel targets at 100 yards off hand with it.

3. blackbmw

blackbmw
    Expand Collapse

u want fun at a 100yds with flying rats? use a 30-06 with 150gr softpoints. As far as a .22, At a hundred i can keep all rounds within a 5 inch area with a 4x40 bushnell, remmy 597, and golden bullets with no bi-pod or bench, just what i have lying around for a rest. As far as the supermax agulia, winchester xpediters, all the fast moving stuff, your better off just unloading and praying for a hit or giving the squirrel a stroke from fright, cause your not gonna hit him! Goldens jam alot in my gun, but are the most accurate i have run across so far, 1 ragged hole at 50yds.

4. table

table
    Expand Collapse

alot of people recommended the MiniMags when i was searching for recommendations but the Winchester Power Points in 40 gr actually grouped slightly better than the MiniMags in my semi. i did my testing with Federal bulk 550, Remington 525 Golden Bullets, CCI MiniMags, Winchester Power Points and a couple others. the Remingtons did quite well for bulk but have always been told they shoot pretty dirty. what i did was take the top recommendations from others then added some. shot all to figure what my rifle liked then stocked up. heres the list best to worst.

Winchester
    CCI
    Remington
    Federal

5. mboylan

mboylan
    Expand Collapse

SK Standard Plus or Wolf Match Target will do it without breaking the bank. $415/5000 all day long at Champion Shooters. You need something that will group about an inch at 100 yards. That means subsonic match ammo.

High velocity goes transonic and buffets at longer distances. Accuracy falls apart.

6. COLDSTEEL165

COLDSTEEL165
    Expand Collapse

I own a rem Nylon 66 rifle since the early 70's & I have shot a lot of woodchuck's with it using nothing but either CCI stingers or Rem Yellow Jacket's, one shot kills are not uncommon with these round's out to 100 yds.

7. ctfireman

ctfireman
    Expand Collapse

I'm a fan of cci stinger. Louder than your average .22, more fun!

8. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

+1

But for best accuracy you will need the more expensive match ammo like Ely or RWS.

And by the time you start spending $15 a box for that stuff you might as well get a .17 HMR and shoot it. At 100 yards the .17 HMR is much better then the .22 LR.