lets talk about the Confederate flag.

Discussion in 'The Furball Forum' started by speedsix, May 6, 2010.

1. Yes indeed look at what Lincoln did in Maryland...

Thousands of Maryland citizens were arrested and held without trial.

Lincoln suspended the Writ of Habeas Corpus in Maryland.

The Chief Justice of the US, Roger B Taney ruled that Lincoln had violated the Constitution when he did this.

Many of The Maryland State legislature were arrested.

Many of the Baltimore city council were arrested.

The Police Chief of Baltimore and the Mayor of Baltimore were arrested.

A US Congressman representing Maryland, Henry May, was arrested.

These political arrests of prominent Marylanders for nothing other than suspected Southern sympathies upset many Marylanders.

One of them was named Booth.

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS"

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. marksiwel

marksiwel My Mommy's Calling

The last line= wtf

I respect your viewpoint, I just think its wrong.
    I will do nothing to STOP you from displaying the flag.
    I just choose not to display it because its basically no morons have ruined it for the rest of us.

3. No quite the opposite. I am a proud patriot of the United States of America but I am loyal to Mississippi first and formost. Were Mississippi to try to seccede agian i would be one of the first ones on the front line to defend her. That is the same way the confederates felt. State first and formost country second.

4. marksiwel

marksiwel My Mommy's Calling

oh goody personal attacks

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Re: pit bull.

You'd really hate life if you owned a pit bull. You think flying a CSA flag is bad?:supergrin:

6. Hence why I said proud, not "legally compelled or obligated". I don't know if I would say unconstitutional, as the first shot was from the Merrimac, a Confederate ship, but the fallacy that the north went to war to free slaves is simply that, fallacy.

7. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

The first shot is widely believed to have been fired from Morris Island.

8. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

That's because you don't understand it, and the history you were taught is the federal government's history.

A proud patriot of These United States and the Constitution would understand enough history to know that the takeover of These United States by the federal government over Lincoln simply created the federal state known as The United States, and subjected all Americans to it's rapacious, predatory ways of confiscatory taxation and subversion of the Constitution.

The "American flag" is the flag of the federal state. If anything, the Confederate flag(s) represent a far more patriotic and Constitution-centered view than the stars and bars of the federal government.

9. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator®
    CLM

Thanks, man. I'm intentionally being more of a simpleton than usual today.:wavey:

10. I follow your logic, however supporting your state and flying its flag is not the same as flying any of the CSA flags.

11. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

12. Eh, either way, confederate forces fired first, my point still stands.

13. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

And in that, sir, you are correct.

14. South Carolina seceded legally and peacefully. Fort Sumter was their property. The Govt of SC sent repeated messages to the US to evacuate the fort. Confederate General Beauregard also sent this message, they were ignored.

Lincoln committed treachery by sending US ships to re supply and support the fort.

This was the first act of war.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

And neither of those is the one commonly argued about, which is the confederate navy jack (often in the colors, but not the shape, of the battleflag). The battle flag is square with navy blue bars, while the rectangular one with lighter blue bars is the naval flag and the rectangular one with navy blue bars is, I believe, not even a real confederate flag.

16. lanternlad

lanternlad Mythmatician

Exactly right. Lincoln didn't have the power to free slaves. The Emancipation Proclamation is tantamount to an Executive Order banning cars. It is beyond the scope of power of the Executive Branch. Lincoln issued the Proclamation to throw a wrench into the South's economy, which was powered by free labor. It basically told slaves to abandon their posts and run, leaving their master's fields untended and would subsequently throw the economy into chaos.

As for the slaves themselves, Lincoln wanted to kick them out of the country.

The Civil War had to do with much more than slavery. There were issues of economy, of State's rights, of Federal use of power. The MAIN reason Lincoln wanted to stop the secession is that it would have put a foreign country right smack dab in the middle of America. To get from Maine to California, you'd have to cross the CSA. That is why the War was fought. If the South had seceded, the division of the country would have led to it's collapse.

17. It makes sense. The national flag of of the CSA, has not been tarnished by white supremest hate groups, so it will not bother people. It was not the original use of the battle flag that is getting it banned, it is the fact that it has been used as the rallying flag for neo-natzis, skinheads and the KKK for the last few decades.

18. Yes!!! Thank you, but shhhh

19. cadillacguns

Millennium Member

Oh boy, let me throw in my 2 cents, as a decendant of a Union Soldier who fought at Shiloh and decendant of another one who marched with Sherman through Georgia and made the Howl, I welcome the stars and bars as a symbol of "We aint going to take any more of your Bull****, and will defend what we believe in no matter what it takes". Northern born,bred, and raised (Michigan) I had grandpappy's in the 11th Michigan cavalry (Co F), 100th Indiana (Co B), and namesake (68th Ohio Co G), and I would bet all three seeing where their beloved country was headed, would wave their hats at those flying the "War of the Rebellion" as they called it, flag not just for southern rights anymore but like the Texan flag or Revolutionary flag "Don't tred on me" ...........one that stands for solidarity in action and I would fly and follow a flag like that right next to the National stars and stripes today. and I am as northern a "yankee" as it gets.