Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Lets see your work rifle!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by kueblerkt, Mar 28, 2011.

1. kueblerkt

Jan 17, 2009
    So ive got range in a couple of weeks and Im going to qualify with my personal AR since we are not allowed to add optics or lights to our issued ARs. Anyway Im interested in seeing what kind of a setup you guys are running.

Heres mine: Ruger SR-556, Planning on adding an Aimpoint Comp M3, light, and vertical grip.

2. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    "....we are not allowed to add optics or lights to our issued ARs."

Huh? :faint:

3. kueblerkt

Jan 17, 2009
    yeah, i dunno. I dont make the rules. If we wanna add accessories we have to add them to our own rifles :wow:
  4. At least you have the option of carrying your own weapon.
  5. silverado_mick

Nov 30, 2006
    No pics right now, but I'm running a run of the mill Bushy 16" Patrolman's Carbine with a Fenix Tk-10 in a Viking Tactics mounts and an EoTech 554. YHM flip up rear sight and Pmags.

I'm selling it this week though to fund my SBR build which will be a Johnson Tactical 11.5 inch barrel on an LMT upper and a Mega lower with Daniel Defense Mk18 rails. Going for light and short for ease of use from in the car and in apartments and whatnot. Basically this is a tag for pics once the paperwork goes through.

Edit: Disregard that. Things change. Will post pics in a few months when the build is done! :cool:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  6. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
  7. Dragoon is that a Hawken?
  8. rookie1

Mar 3, 2009
    Im with you there. If I was allowed to carry my own I might be justified in buying one. (other half says no).
  9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Yep back when it was new it was the finest rifle of it's kind.

10. Gos

Feb 18, 2001
    In it's day that was quite the assult rifle....
  11. jenrick

May 8, 2005
    Central Texas
    Daniel Defense M4 v1. EOTech 512 in a LaRue QD mount with the Po'Boy magnifier behind it. Surefire scout light up front, with a VTAC sling. Magpul BAD lever, and pmags.

I'll snap and post some pics in the morning.

12. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Dog Lover

Jun 9, 2006
    North Alabama
    No pic immediately at hand of the rifles. Brand new HK416s. Not fielded yet, but we actually have them and will be qualified to carry soon. For now it's still our shotgun w/ (1) Federal Tactical Low-Recoil TruBall 1-oz slugs or (2) Federal Tactical Low-Recoil FliteControl 00-buckshot, both of which I am very okay with.

I don't even bother with the buck, it's slugs all the way baby......
  13. shootindave

Feb 15, 2007
  14. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

Oct 11, 2003
    SW Virginia

I don't carry any office issued weapons, the Beretta 96D they issued me wouldn't shoot, had a burr on the firing pin or something like that. I had already opted to carry my own personal G22, I loaned my Beretta to another guy whose Beretta had fell apart on the range, that is when we found out it wouldn't fire.

I have trouble trusting things bought on government low bid contracts.
  15. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Beware, bad lighting and camera phone pictures ahead.

Daniel Defense M4.

DD upper, lower and 14.5 inch LWCHFB with SF FH.
    Troy/Viking TRX rail
    Magpul MOE grip/stock
    SKD Tactical P.I.G. sling on an ASAP
    EOTech XPS 3-0 + G23FTS
    Magpul MBUS F/R

16. silverado_mick

Nov 30, 2006
    Cheesy thats a really nice setup. I just ordered an 11.5in SBR with a 9" Troy TRX rail. Care to give me a quick review on yours? I was thinking of switching over from a VFG to the AFG too, so your input would be appreciated on that as well. Thanks man.
  17. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox

It was really a "hey I'm bored" project.

I sold a sergeant at the PD my $3,000+ LMT M4 that I built about 5 years ago and used the funds to build a purpose built patrol rifle.

A lot of thought went into weight and simplicity.

The AFG is ergonomic, for me. I never liked the VFG position. When I ran a VFG on my LMT, I found myself shooting and manuevering with the magwell or hand on rail, rather than using the VFG, which for me, was an unnatural position.

I went with a pencil profile barrel for weight savings. It's cold hamer forged and should survive mild-moderate semi-auto fire without any issues.

The rail ws a decision based on weight and simplicity, in addition to fitting into the various types and styles of weapon racks in our vehicles here. My LMT would never fit in a rack and had to be stored in a case in the trunk.

The TRX is lightweight, strong, and sleek compared to the MI rail I had on my LMT. Doesn't hang up on stuff and I don't run anything unnecessary on the gun like lasers or crazy light mounts or sling points. All I needed was the top rail for the light and sight and I added the AFG rail below.

I run it out real far because it is easier to steer and reduces fatigue (for me) when presented. Much more stabile platorm as well.

Simple stock and grip that don't weigh too much.

The optic and magnifier were half off because I am a department firearms instructor and got them through the trainer program at L3.

I like the EOT reticle much more than the Aimpoint, but that is personal preference. The magnifier is a great addition. I can actually see my groups at 100 yards with it at the range. At 50 yards with this gun, I have 1.5 inch 10 shot groups standing.

That is what I desire for a working gun.

I love it.

DD makes good quality stuff.
  18. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I just have the basic M16A2 at work, with a switch block to keep the three round burst from going off, (one of the people hollering liability issue thought that one up). Straight basic rifle, complete with iron sights.
  19. silverado_mick

Nov 30, 2006
    Thanks for the writeup man! I've been talking with the guy who's building my new patrol rifle and I'm in the same boat you were. I want a rifle that is simple, short, and handy for patrol use, that's all.

I've pretty much settled on a Johnson Tactical (local shop) upper with 11.5" govt profile barrel, 9" TRX rail for the same reason you stated, gunfighter charging handle, and a Tactical Innovations lower with a regular 6 position stock (might go with an MOE stock) and ASAP sling plate. I have an EoTech 554 that I've run for years and I love, but eventually for weight and battery life purposes I'm probably going to throw an Aimpoint T1 on it.

I'm really excited because this is my first fully custom AR that's built to my specs, and the quality of stuff coming out of this shop is on par with Noveske or DD. I pretty much can't wait for this thing to get done so I can see how it runs!
  20. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Cochese I hear what you're saying about the eotech reticle, but I'm fqscinated with the idea of an always on reticle as with the aimpoint. I keep thinking that extra step of turning on the eotech during a rapid deployment from my patrol car might be time prohibited..