close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

lets see some big bore wheelies used for defense......

Discussion in 'The Wheelhouse' started by cowboywannabe, Mar 13, 2012.

1. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    Here's mine, not a CCW piece for sure but it does get used in the car on road trips. 629 no dash circa June 1980, one of the original batches of 629's released.:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  2. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida

+1 on the above. My first duty and off duty was a revolver and they will always be a favorite.

3. Really ? "Single action" vaquero for occasional ccw :upeyes:

I hope you're "cc'ing" on horseback. :whistling:

4. [​IMG]

Let's bring this thread back to life. :)

M29 Mountain weighs aboutthe same as a 1911 Government, 210gr Gold Dot expanded to 0.750" with 1390fps MV. Carried mostly during the winter months at my place because a number of large predators come down from the mountains.

Carrying now during the monsoon, 200gr XTP @1470fps, N105 powder is a great powder for the 180gr and 200gr XTPs. ....very accurate. ....should perform well on a stray hog. Working on a Cast Performance 255gr WFNPB to replace 300gr JSP/WFNs in back up speedloaders.

Anyone else live near wilderness? :)

ruffterrain likes this.
  5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Close, I live near Seattle. :supergrin:

M1917
    [​IMG]

ruffterrain likes this.
  6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    holly Lazarus thread! I guess i'll add a few more... 44-1.png

ruffterrain likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

This nickel plated M29, 6.5" is carried in a Bianchi X15 shoulder rig from time to time. ....Hogue mono grips fit my hands well for intense double action shooting. :)

ruffterrain likes this.
  8. Nanuk

Nanuk

Sep 13, 2009
    At home
    I loves me 44 magnums

Attached Files:

ruffterrain likes this.
  9. LApm9

LApm9 Silver Member

Apr 3, 2006
    South Louisiana
    When my son was in the New Orleans ER, a home invader came in with a thigh wound from a "fifty caliber pistol". Eighteen inches of femur was "turned into crumbs" and the exit wound was "large enough to put your fist in"

Somehow the femoral artery survived, so the patient was still alive when he went upstairs to a room. Word was that some of the young docs were going to try to save the leg.

I'll bet everybody was surprised when that big gun went off in a small town house.

10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Lot of thread resurrections going on lately. Ironically, they all seem to come from the 2012 era. :dunno:

That being said, this was worthy of resurrection. :supergrin:

ruffterrain likes this.
  11. ruffterrain

ruffterrain

Oct 26, 2014
    Subject to change
    I agree. :thumbsup:

Gun-wise, have always tended towards vanilla. The S&W stainless K-frame has been my mainstay over the years and it has served me well. But in a recent moment of wild abandon at the local gun shop, temporary insanity got the best of me and I walked out with this sweetheart of a big bore Ruger...

IMG_2797.JPG IMG_2799.JPG IMG_2802.JPG

Had her out to the range before the ink dried on the credit card receipt. What a smooth shooting wheelgun she is. After a slight sight adjustment, it now shoots to point-of-aim with 230 gr 45ACP and 225 gr 45 Colt. Recoil is very mild compared to shooting the 44 magnum---helped by the stout stainless frame and the 44 oz weight. Is nice to be able to shoot all day without the pain. The grips worried me since I'm used to wearing Hogues on my K-frames, but these Ruger wood grips were actually quite comfortable during the entire afternoon shooting session. Already ordered more moon clips for the ACP rounds and a leather belt holster from Ruger. Me thinks I just found a new trail gun.

cowboywannabe and Nanuk like this.
  12. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    That's an awesome pickup. :thumbsup:

ruffterrain likes this.
  13. ruffterrain

ruffterrain

Oct 26, 2014
    Subject to change
    Thanks. Here's a pretty decent review of this revolver from Gunblast...

14. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    love seeing those redhawks!
    I CC'ed a 44 redhawk years ago, blued 5.5" barrel. I liked the gun, did some trigger work, and shot it a lot. Reloading helped with that. A buddy and I would shoot 100-250 rounds nearly every evening and reload it for the next day.

Like a fool, I sold it as I wanted a SS version. I still vaccilate between a RH and a SRH Alaskan, but i'll probably get a 4" RH.

Redhawks are damn fine guns, shoot great and you can sure pistol whip the **** out of a hippie with it.