close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Let the gouging begin

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by eric1, Nov 12, 2012.

1. eric1

eric1

Jun 13, 2008
    Went into my LGS to look at AR's with my brother, he wants one to hunt Coyote's. Looked at the S&W M&P OR for a base build. They were asking $1,399!:wow: This is normally an $850 gun. I know they can charge whatever they want but that seems a tad excessive.

2. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    If there is a local ffl who will recieve firearms, you can get one from buds for 873+ fees.

3. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I took a half day vacation last Friday. After work, I stopped by Wal-Mart. They were just about out of all ammunition but they did have a few AR’s in the display. They even had a Colt in the display, it was around $950.00 or something close to that.

The LGS, all the shelves and displays were empty. I asked the guy is they were going out of business. He told me, the day after the election they sold out of everything.

This past weekend, I went to the Gun Show. The place was packed. I took a handgun that I didn’t like and thought I would walk it around. I had six hits on it. The dealers tried low balling me. I sold it to the seventh guy who was happy to buy it from me. This was within the first 20 minutes of getting inside the door.

Supply and demand. :whistling:

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Not surprising and it will only get worse. One thing for certain, there are lots of hoarders out there!

5. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    People really need to realize that any new ban won't be done via Congress and won't, therefore, exempt previously-owned guns. If you need one to fill a needed gap, fine, but don't waste your money buying extra ones. Having said that - the panic, of course, is here to stay.

6. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    The worst thing POTUS can do is declare that semi auto rifles have no sporting purpose and classify them as destructive devices, requiring registration and preventing import. New semi auto rifles would then require a $200 tax stamp.

The classification as destructive devices could be challenged in court and might be overturned.

An out right ban requiring confiscation would have no basis in law, would very likely be overturned, and even if upheld would require that the feds pay current market prices for the guns that they take, so "wasting money" is not an accurate description. Wasting time and effort may be, if one is the type to turn it in and make the best of being enslaved.

7. vettely

vettely

Nov 28, 2006
    TX
    Guilty here.

Sat. I got a Sig M400 with all magpul furniture and a super nice nylon case at Walmart for $917. A very good deal.

8. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    If your really worried stock up on mags as that's the only thing I can see him even having a chance at getting passed. An AWB isn't getting through congress. Give it a month or two and it'll calm down.

9. GAFinch

GAFinch

Feb 23, 2009
    Georgia
    You're forgetting about the SCOTUS. The current minority believe that individuals have no right to own guns. Even for the tiny minority of people who would actually not turn in their guns, they would only likely need 1 gun (and possibly 1 handgun) per person. Sadly, history just doesn't favor societies successfully resisting gun grabs...men get tied down to their wives and children. I hope I'm wrong, but I guess we'll find out.

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Oh well, all my guns were lost in that tragic boating fire accident... got nothing to turn in.

11. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Yeah same here. I think my ex-wife took them all.

12. sappy13

sappy13

Sep 30, 2007
    Bremen, GA
    I almost went to a gunshow last weekend that was in town. Then i remembered what the shows were like after obama got elected the first time...so needless to say i saved my 15 bucks and skipped it

13. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Jul 11, 2003
    Republic of Texas
    It never fails. Do you think it's as much of a frenzy as 2008?

Yeah me too. I took my safe duck hunting and my dog tipped the boat over.

14. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I don't think it's quite as bad as 2008, but it's close. Distributors at getting pretty light on product, and prices at the distributor level have already started climbing. Why have a sale on something you would sell anyway, and that will be hard to replace? I don't think we'll be seeing many good deals for a while.

15. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    Same by me. People dropping thousands on ammo.

16. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    I think so, but I can't recall how long that "panic" lasted. The election is still fresh, so hopefully this madness will stop in a week or two.

17. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    4 years ago sales remained elevated through the 2nd quarter of 2009.

18. blinz73

blinz73

Sep 22, 2010
    Same here, but I choose the Colt 6920 for $1057.

19. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    This time the initial buying panic does not seem nearly as bad as last time, but I doubt the sales are going to go back down for a while, if ever until Obongo is out of office.

20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Might not be anything left to buy by then.:crying: