close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Let me bounce this idea off of you guys.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by frank4570, Mar 14, 2012.

1. frank4570

frank4570

I'm changing vocations and with it my clothing. I am probably going to have to go to a tucked in shirt and no coat. So, a full size gun is out, I don't really like that.
    I'm having a rolling cabinet built for my tools. This will be my work bench in the shops where I am working, sharpening scissors for hair salons.
    So I am thinking a concealable gun on me, a little one, then a full size in a box/drawer inside of my tool box. I can't imaging any reason i would leave my tool box beyond walking around the salon and talking to the stylists.
    What do you guys think?

2. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

IMHO the best place for your gun is on your person. Have you considered a holster like the smartcarry or 3-speed holster? What about a pocket .38, .380 or 9mm? I understand where you're coming from where I'm hoping I will be working for about 6 months requires a tucked in polo. I've considered an IWB tuck-able holster like the Galco Kingtuck but I think the belt clips are just too obvious. I'm considering getting the 3-speed holster and if that doesn't work I'll just stick with a Sig P238 in my front right pocket.

3. DaneA

DaneA

I use a cbst with my 26 everyday with a tucked shirt with no problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Or an ankle holster.

5. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

I don't support or condone off-body carry.
    You're responsible for your gun(s) remaining secured.

I carry my little Kel-Tec .32 in a LH pocket holster all of the time (where I can legally).

Another option, especially if you sit while working is either one of those T-shirts with an under the arm holster sewn into the shirt, or a belly band style set up positioning your gun close to the opening of your shirt.
    Both of these options would require a loose fitting shirt but would give you quick access to your gun.

6. frank4570

frank4570

Yeah, you're probably right. It makes me very uncomfortable just thinking about it.

7. BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

The holster clips are only obvious to gun guys and cops.

8. Oramac

Oramac

+1 for this. I use an MTAC with a G26 tucked in every day, wearing a shirt and tie. Works amazingly well, and is very comfortable.

I'm also pretty sure I could conceal a full size 1911 if I needed to using my MTAC. Never tried it, but I'm quite confident it'd work.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  9. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

It depends. They're very unobtrusive to the casual observer, but if you have co-workers who see you extensively, day-in, day-out, sooner or later, somebody will notice. You have to decide if that is a problem.

Since the OP seems like he'll be going business-to-business doing sharpening, this may be less of an issue. Depends on how often he sees regular customers.

Consider whether OP is an independent contractor, or works for a service. Does the service have rules regarding this? As an independent contractor, do you think any of the salons would be upset enough, if they found out, to cost you a customer? Would that be a price you'd be willing to pay?

Pocket carry of a very small auto like a P32 is essentially invisible -- even if they see a bulge, it's not obvious what it is. You could probably get away with that in any case.

If your toolbox is sturdy, has a separate locking compartment or you could somehow cable-lock one of the Center-of-Mass boxes inside it, I'd think that would be OK. Because you're an outside contractor and because it's a toolbox with your specialized equipment, I think it will be regarded as private space and you're unlikely to have anyone poking through it. The C-o-M box is just extra insurance against the light-fingered. Those professional rolling tool cabinets usually have lots of little nooks and compartments. Lots of space for you to have a secure storage spot for a gun.

People try to walk off with those cabinets, but most often by breaking into your truck or garage -- they're a little too big to just roll off with right in the shop. :)

10. Able 5

Able 5

Dude, you are sharpening scissors.... and you cannot figure out how to dress around your "new" job....really. Wear a lab coat/smock. Next

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Make up a really good story explaining how you were accosted by criminal/s and feared for your life and as a result, you're terrified to go around unprotected. You could throw in a tear jerker about how this is the only way you can provide for your spouse.

Then if you're exposed, it may go better for you.

Or, do what I do and ignore other people's attitudes about guns, and go your own way.

12. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

It's just possible --- maybe, I dunno, tell me if this sounds outrageous -- that you might have thought of a way to word this that didn't make you sound like a condescending jerk.

13. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

I do the same with a G19.

14. frank4570

frank4570

Dude, you're cracking me up. :rofl:
    He actually had a pretty good idea I hadn't thought of.

15. DaneA

DaneA

Funny, I'm at almost exactly a year of wearing my CBST in the same building, with the same 30 people, 50 hours a week and none of my employees have spotted me yet (even with the crosses). Or at least if they have they haven't said a word. I have had 1 customer spot me because he was getting ready to purchase the same holster.

16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

frank,

Thunderwear works well under a loincloth :tbo:

17. frank4570

frank4570

Ah, you've been paying attention. I have both, BTW.

18. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

19. mj9mm

mj9mm

build in a biometric safe in your cabinet for a full size gun, but keep a little one in your pocket:wavey:

20. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

frank4570 wrote:
    Dude, you're cracking me up.
    He actually had a pretty good idea I hadn't thought of.

I was thinking the very same thing! I know what I want to carry. I'll will do whatever it takes to make it happen! Well, short of wearing a fanny pack!:supergrin:

A European a man purse? If that is what it takes. Hell I'll even talk with a lisp!:whistling: