close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Les Baer Thunder Ranch or Wilson CQB?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by RedsoxFan4Lyfe, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedsoxFan4Lyfe

RedsoxFan4Lyfe

Jul 16, 2007
    Florida USA
    Which one of these should I buy? I have always wanted a high end 1911. I like the Les and am leaning toward that right now. It is quite a bit less than the Wilson is. Are these guns in the same league? I always thought that Les and Wilson were in the same league, sort of like BMW and Mercedes so to speak. A matter of preference versus quality or value, both great just different. But in the same league just the same.

The Les Baer seems like a great pistol for the price they are going for. I am not opposed to buying either model used either.
    Is this a proper comparison?

Thanks for any feedback here. Pics would be great if anyone else here owns the same weapons in question.

2. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker

Jan 4, 2010
    you seem like you have already answered your own question, there are more used baers out there that you can get for a good price.

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    My choice between the two would be the Wilson. I've owned both and the workmanship is superior in the Wilson. I could never get past the over-tightness of the Baer. It's gone and the Wilson is still here.

4. RedsoxFan4Lyfe

RedsoxFan4Lyfe

Jul 16, 2007
    Florida USA
    Too tight is not good to me. I dont want to have to take it down with a bushing wrench for cleanings. This is going to be tougher than I thought. There are worse choices to have to make though. :supergrin:

5. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

Feb 10, 2008
    Do what I did and get both.

Honestly they are very comparable for performance. The CQB has a much better standard finish and you won't have problems should you have a warranty issue.

I'm not saying you'd have a problem with LB, it's just Wilson is known to have excellent CS.

I think it is really a preference issue, there are somethings I like from each.

The best thing, if possible, would be finding some to get your hands on.

6. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    I own both and I would say this. The TRS is a better bang for the buck...A flat out tack driver that is about as no frills dependable as it gets, and I don't need a bushing wrench to take down the weapon. The Wilson is more refined, but a few more bucks. I own both, but the TRS has become my EDC. You really couldn't go wrong with either. They are both excellent weapons.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  7. gconan

gconan

May 1, 2000
    I own both and you are in a win-win situation whichever you choose. I do not like the grips on the TR model's, but that is a very small item. Pick which one you like the best.

8. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Get the Baer and a little lapping compound and a six pack of beer. Disassemble gun and use the compound with a bushing wrench to work the bushing in the slide till you can barely move it with your fingers. Do not have barrel in.

Now enjoy the new "custom" fit Baer with your buzz. Save yourself hundreds.

9. Don-wayne

Don-wayne

Jun 15, 2008
    I own both as well. I bought three more Baers and no more Wilsons. My Wilson needed to go back to Wilson and still wont feed all rounds My Baers(all four) will. The Wilson is more refined as in no tool marks etc but my baers are super reliable and accurate as can be. Baer gets my vote and my money........:rofl:

10. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    That is not typical of a Wilson, but if I had a problem with a 1911 I would pray it was a Wilson because the service is the best in the industry.IMO.

Still I usually recommend a Baer if you are wanting a Government model.

11. MADBMW

MADBMW

Dec 10, 2006
    Central, CA.
    Both companies make great 1911's. I owned a TRS, and a CQB compact. The TRS was stone cold reliable with everything, but I sold it to fund another project (wish I had not). The CQB had issues for me. It would not feed hardball, even after more than 500 rounds. The dealer made it right by refunding my money and Wilson contacted me in an effort to rectify the problem. If I were in the market, I would have no heasitation buying from either company. I did have a bad experience with my Wilson, but that is a statistical rarity so you can buy with confidence from either manufacturer.

Good luck in the hunt.

12. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005

Having been an owner of both the CQB and the Thunder Ranch...

I still have the Thunder Ranch and the CQB is on consignment with my local dealer.

I have had problems with Wilson's CS. I used to own 3 of their guns...CQB, M4T and Border Patrol shotgun. The only thing that I have left is the Border Patrol.

I will say this about Baer...He is set in his ways. He forgets he offers a product to the people that want it a certain way. There are times he is unwilling to bend. However, when you order what you want, you get it. He is a very "Matter of fact" type of person. No BS just all business. Some people don't like that. Me, I prefer that in a person who offers a service I need. You won't get a run around. You'll get a yes or no answer. With that, you will receive the best CS they can offer you. If you mess up you own it...If they mess up they own it.

Both guns are great guns. I had the best service out of my CQB. Unfortunately it was short lived. After the 13,000 round mark that 110% reliability went to about 45%. The problem was fixed only after the gun went back to the shop 4 times in a 3 week period. For the amount I paid for the gun and the extra money I invested in it, I should have gotten 110% for the remainder of the pistol's life.

Me, I prefer the Baers. They are simple, they work, they are solid. No fancy paints or finishes. Just blueing and utter reliability.

My PII and TRS are the only 1911s I have. For now of course. I have a Stinger model on order now as well.

To be 100% honest with you, you won't go wrong with either gun. I can't say for sure why my CQB crapped out. But I can tell you, if it didn't I would have never bought the Baers. Of course, because it did, I honestly think that I have the best 1911s on the market.

13. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    I also have pistols from both gun crafters, I really like my Wilson Combat CQB, but the next gun I bought after the Wilson was another Baer. My next 1911 will be a Les Baer Monolith.

14. Don-wayne

Don-wayne

Jun 15, 2008
    CAESAR

I did not get good service from Wilson at all. They just chalked it up to limp wristing. I own more than a few 1911s and don't have these issues with any other 1911 I own. The funny thing is I traded my Kimber supermatch in on the Wilson and wished I had it back. Im not a Kimber fan but that gun ate everything and was accurate and reliable. I don't know to many master level competiters that have limp wristing problems.

15. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Both are great 1911s.

I own a CQB, but have only handled a TRS. I plan on getting one at some point, though I already own a couple other Baers.

16. pmj

pmj

Jan 9, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have a TRS and very satisfied. I figured if the TRS is good enough for Clint Smith then it's definitely good for me. A Commanche will be next -

17. I would go with the TRS, without the front cocking serrations of course (can only find that used)

18. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    I own two CQBs and a Baer TRS, to me.....Baer = better bang for the buck. Wilson is hands down a much better company and stands behind their product.

19. HAIL CAESAR

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    That just stinks. Let them have it!!

20. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    LB is easily the better value and every much as good a pistol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.