LEOSA, badge required?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by FiremanMike, Feb 6, 2012.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Do I need to carry my badge, or does my department ID suffice?

Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Considering my work only issues badges when on an armed post off the grounds (med trips or bus crew), and we're covered by LEOSA, I'd say your ID should be fine. I hope so; its really all I've got!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. I believe the requirement is a "photographic identification."

4. Though my ID has LEOSA language, I still carry the shield. It punctuates the point. Nothing says, "I care," like the tin!

Randall

5. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

You absolutely do NOT need to carry a badge. The only requirement under 18USC926B is: The identification required by this subsection is the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer.

6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

http://www.bopmeyers.com/catalog/46

:thumbsup:

7. LEOSA says nothing about a badge.

8. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Okay sooner or later someone was going to do it so I'm jumping in....Badges? We don't need stinkin' badges!

9. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Thanks guys :)

10. Oh I have a wallet with the "medallion", but its not technically a badge, lol.

11. While we are on the subject, Any ideas on what to do if your old agency doesn't want qualify you or issue the credentials?

I qualify w/ 19yrs exp. and a clean record but my last agency was shall we say, very political.

12. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Hmm, maybe hit up your local sheriff and she if he's interested in helping you out?

13. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

All you need from the old agency is the retired ID.. many other agencies will do the requal,,we do a few a year and open them to any retired copper that wants to qualify..

14. jhooten

jhooten NRA Life Member

Don't forget that to be found in possession of a BOP badge while not on a post requiring the issue of a badge is ground for immediate termination.

BOP don't fool around when it comes to their badges.

15. If they do not issue the credentials, you are proverbially stuck. Many qualify, but since they did not officially retire, they get nothing.

If I were you, I'd get the HR or personnel section of the government you worked for to write a general letter stating your job title, your date of hire, your effective date of separation, and the total time served in that position. It may not prevent an arrest, but it may very well defer criminal charges in Court.

16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I think they left badges out of LEOSA on purpose. Its easy to get a badge on Ebay, photgraphic ID is a much more reliable indicator...

Randy

17. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

True, if you have one of the badges given to you while on duty, while carrying a weapon.

If you have one of the medallion id's sold here: http://www.bopmeyers.com/catalog/46 You will NOT be in trouble of any kind.

The Bopmeyers id's are sold in our front lobby of each institution here at FCC Beaumont.

:cool:

18. Our employees club sells them as well; most of the higher-ups even use them.

19. Can't private entities qualify you now as long as they are certified by the state to do so? I thought that was one of the enhancements of the LEOSA revision.

20. I addressed the issue of agencies not issuing ID to "honorably separated" officers with the Ohio Attorney General's office a couple of years ago. I suggested that rather than leave officers at the mercy of often hostile employers, that the state, through the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy, make ID's available. They maintain all records of sworn employment, so they would be the perfect agency to issue the ID's. They AG's office response was that they felt it should be left up to the individual agencies. So, maybe now that we have a different AG, I will try again.