close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Legend of the $20 M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by doc540, Apr 1, 2013.

1. emtjr928

emtjr928

Jan 26, 2012
    McDonough, Ga.
    According to my info the bolts were blued not parkerized.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. doc540

doc540

Apr 25, 2007
    Deep SE Texas
    That's correct. The bolt on this one is blue and the parkerizing has turned a shade of green.

3. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Arkansas Ozarks
    The original parkerized finish on a Winchester is generally darker than most other USGI carbines, some of the early Winchesters are a dark gray, almost black. They tend to pickup that green hugh over time.

I have several Winchesters in my collections, for some reason they seem to be my favorite of the USGI carbines.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  4. cphilip

cphilip

Oct 17, 2006
    Clemson SC
    I was told that the Green hue is stained into the parkerizing by the Cosmoline that they were packed in to protect them in shipment and storage. I don't know how true that is.

5. Sgt_Gold

Sgt_Gold

Jul 21, 2006
    NY
    You have a type II barrel band and a flat top bolt. The transission time from the type I to the type II barrel band, and from the round top to the flat top bolt is around the middle of 1944.

Your rifle's serial number should be no earlier than April 1944. Generally speaking M1 carbine manufacturers tried to keep 90 days worth of parts on hand in case there were shortages, so there should be a three month 'window' of what got installed when.

6. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Very cool. That would be the equivalent of paying $200 today, which I'd do in a heartbeat.

7. JDSTG58

JDSTG58

Feb 4, 2008
    USSA
    Nice collection.... :wow: