close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Legality of purchasing Hi Cap Mag and Bringing into CA

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by Glock714, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Glock714

Glock714

Dec 17, 2007
    So Cal
    I was just wondering on the legality of purchasing Hi Cap magazines and bringing them into CA? What states can you still purchase them in and do they check drivers license or anything? NV? AZ?

Just wondering.... I don't plan on breaking any laws.

Thanks to the Democraps our laws suck!

2. danielsand

danielsand NRA Life Member

Nov 8, 2006
    in the desert
    Standard mags (they are NOT hi-capacity!), are not legal in CA. Under no circumstances should you buy them out of state, and bring them in. I live just across the state line from CA, and drive there daily. I make sure I have CA approved mags with me!

3. TacticalRecon

TacticalRecon

Oct 11, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    He might be talking about the 33 round mags, those are hi-capacity :tongueout:

But you are right, if you want a quick reason for the sheep to throw you in jail bring standard or hi-cap mags into Kommiefornia.

4. Tadjman

Tadjman

Oct 4, 2007
    Northern CA
    I live in Northern Ca, a good friend has FFL right next door and the answer is:
    abso-flogging-lutly not... can not buy anything over 10-shot mag and bring it in... I have asked him several times!

Maybe I oughtta move back to Arizona, eh?:whistling:

5. Tadjman

Tadjman

Oct 4, 2007
    Northern CA
    You are, what you do, when it counts. the masao

6. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits Not Again.....

Don't do it. Just don't.

I was just talking to an Orange County LEO last weekend at a shooting range who was telling me that often times, various agencies in CA will monitor bordering state stores that sell magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds for CA residents who go just for that purpose. I don't know how much of that I actually believe, but the costs far outweigh the benefits.

It's a crappy situation, one that we shouldn't be in, but one that we are in, and now we have to deal with it. Any breaking of the rules just makes the antis want to make more rules, if that's even possible at this point.

This is the way that it has been explained to me:

Any magazines that have a capacity of more than 10 rounds in CA must be pre-ban mags. And from what I understand, the gun that you own the mags for must also be a pre-ban gun. Supposedly, the mags go with the gun. Once you no longer own the gun, you can't own the mags, and you can't transfer ownership of the mags with the gun, either. Now, I don't pretend to know all of the rules but when I hear these little tidbits and details, I tend to pay attention because in this state, you just never know. Better safe than sorry.

Personally, I'll just avoid all of that stuff altogether until I'm the heck out of this state.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    It's cool to have hi cap mags. I just keep, oh, about 10 or so for each platform loaded.

8. Glock_XXI

Glock_XXI

Apr 4, 2007
    Don't do it!

Not worth the risk, IMO.

Just buy an extra 10 rounder, e.g. 2 high-cap G19 mags =30 rounds, 3 limited also =30 rounds :cool:

9. dwebb210

dwebb210 NRA life member CLM

Jul 26, 2004
    Iowa
    When did this ban go into effect?

I know it has been quite a while.

I'm just wondering if my old G20 and G17 are old enough to have
    "pre-ban" magazines, that might be worth something to someone in CA.

Oh wait. I see that you can't transfer them in regardless of age.

10. striker777

striker777 GT Member

Jan 4, 2008
    If you own a gun that was originally sold with hi cap mags like my G19 I bought in 1990 it was sold with hi caps before the ban you can own them there was never any law that said you had to relinquish them to law inforcement, you have a receit when you bought the gun you're good to go and besides as a LEO told me they would have to prove that you bought them after the ban was imposed.
    Now here in Komifornia the law simply stated that there is no manufacture, sale or importation of hi cap mags if you own them prior to the ban there you'res

11. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Feb 11, 2002
    California Sierra Mnts
    +1

For the most part, correct! If you (as a California resident) owned pre Sept 1994 mags at the time of the 2000 California ban, then those mags are legal for you continue to own and use.

Incorrect: You can own those mags even though you don't own a gun to "match". For example if you owned some 30 round AR-15 mags prior to the 2000 ban, and you still own those mags, and two weeks ago purchased a Keltec SU-16 you can go out this weekend and shoot your Keltec using your old 30 round AR-15 mags. 100% legal under California law.

Incorrect. You can own mags for guns you don't own. Many California residents do so (legally). You can own pre-ban normal capacity mags for guns you have never owned, or for guns you have sold.

Correct, assuming 1: you are talking about pre-ban normal capacity mags, and 2: you are talking about selling the gun to a fellow Californian.

Why not just read the regs on the DOJ website?

12. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

The Calguns guys have recently had some .gov types trolling. Trying to get someone to encourage, conspire or assist in illegal acts.

Just sayin'.

13. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Feb 11, 2002
    California Sierra Mnts
    I used to know a guy at the DOJ firearms division; who's job it was to focus on AR-15 regulatory issues; he said he would spend a lot of time at AR15.com to figure out what we were thinking and trying to do to out think the DOJ, so he and his employers the DOJ could out think us.

He died a couple of years ago.

14. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

Mar 31, 2007
    USA
    Cali-Glock is 100% correct. As far as buying hi-caps in other states??? I tried to buy some in Las Vegas and they wanted ID. When they saw I was from CA, they said, "no sale."

It's funny because CA laws can't prohibit a CA citizen to purchase a LEGAL product in a state that ALLOWS the sale of hi-cap magazines. Either way, I wanted the magazines for my vacation house up in Wyoming. Oh well, it's no big deal because I can buy the magazines in WY and just keep them there at my other house.

When I retire, I'm moving out of this God-forsaken state!

15. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Karma?

16. I've got a seperate situation that I've been wondering as well that falls along similar lines... I think. My father bought a G17 I think in 1991-92. He has a total of three 17 round magazines, and I use one or two of them on occasion when I go to the range when I bring my G17, which I bought several years ago. I clearly could not have purchased the standard 17 round mags then, I was still very young, but he legally bought them, and I use them.

I've asked several forms of LEO, FFLs, and a couple of people at ranges, and no one has been able to give me a real answer, so I keep using them. Can I actually get in touble for this?

17. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

First, there's no minimum age to own a magazine. Anyone born before 2000 could concievably own a high-cap that existed in the state at that time.

Secondly, "lending" magazines is specifically not allowed.

Thirdly, I would not use the magazines out of the presence of your father, and certainly not admit that I had borrowed them, unless you and your father can come to the determination that you became owner or at least co-owner of the magazines prior to 2000.

18. 10mmAuto

10mmAuto

Mar 31, 2007
    USA
    Says who? Like the previous poster said, there is no age limit on owning a hicap magazine.

I don't know about you, but when my friend was 7 years old, he got his first semi-auto handgun. Albeit it was a Ruger .22lr hand gun, but it was his first gun his dad got him.

When he turned 10, he got his first Mini-14 with hicap magazines. Albeit, he didn't shoot it until he was about 14, but it was his first rifle with hicaps. Also, he got the gun and magazines way before this state had any hicap/assault weapon bans.

Are you sure dad didn't give you the same type of gift way back when???? I believe many dads across America have given several guns to their sons/daughters at a young age with the understanding that when they're "old enough" to shoot them, they would. (With the proper supervision of course).

Another example is when my nefew was very very young just before the CA assault rifle ban went into effect. My nefew's father intentionally stocked up on Beretta 92 and Glock 17 hicap mags and gave them to his son as a gift before the ban went into effect. Years later, my nefew was old enough to purchase the two handguns (A Glock and Beretta) and use the hicaps that he always possessed legally.

Maybe you should talk to your dad and ask him to refresh your memory. I'm betting he gave them to you long ago and you just plum forgot.:wavey:

19. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I know I did. I said "kick your mom twice in the bladder if you want these mags, once if you dont want them."

20. I think you are 100% correct. It's funny, I called my dad about it yesterday, and he told me to take the Glock since he's got a nice revolver for home defense now. I will be transferring it into my name soon enough.

Jerry