Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Legal Issues and EDC of G 34 or 35

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by The Viking, Oct 29, 2013.

1. The Viking

The Viking

Feb 9, 2011
    Does any think there would be legal issues with using a G34 or 35 as an EDC?
    Does anyone here use the G 34 or 35 as an EDC
  2. johnson8861

johnson8861 Daddo Chomper

Big question that comes to mind, would be Why would you carry that big of a pistol? It would be no different in legal since as putting a -connector on a 23.

Jun 11, 2002
    New Mexico & Michigan
    They are about the same size as a full size 1911. Why do you think they are so big?
  4. dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    From a legal standpoint the only potentially significant issue with the G34 & G35 is the "Competition Only" trigger...namely the "-" connector. The simple addition of the NY1 trigger spring, or swapping out of the connector with a standard one, bring the gun into Glock's recommendations for a carry gun and also makes it on par with the 34/35 that are carried by LEA's such as the Alaska Troopers (edit: Correction...the AST do not issue the G34/35, but the Kentucky State Police do).
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  5. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    I don't get all the hype over a Glock with a 4.5 lb trigger. Aren't all "quality" 1911s supposed to have a 4 to 4 1/2 lb trigger?
  6. NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    I wish they would quit telling us to carry the largest caliber that you can shoot well, if it is going to be a legal problem. That would my only defense. The doctrine I was taught.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    A 34/35 is much easier to shoot if you put in a standard 5 lb connector, like my wife did with her competition 34, as long as you actually understand how to use a Glock trigger. So I'd do that and not worry about the lighter trigger. At any rate, modifying the gun to make the trigger lighter is a bigger issue than just having a light factory trigger.

On the other hand, I haven't really found any job the 34 and 35 do better than a 17/22, except maybe log range target shooting, and that isn't a Glock job.
  8. There aren't any legal issues with it, and it still has a factory trigger for all the worriers out there. It is the 'competition' model, as it is designed to stay inside the competition size box, unlike the 17L/24.

I carry a G35 or 24 on occasions. Surprised a gun store worker when I showed that i was concealing my 24 without problems.
  9. LSP552

LSP552 Glockdriver

Apr 11, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    None at all, and it's about the same size as a 1911, just lighter.

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
  11. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  12. martin-curtis

Feb 21, 2009
    I carry a 17 as a primary EDC gun. If I were 8"-9" inches taller, I would have no issue with carrying a 34 as a EDC.
    As far as any legal issues, I would see it as some of the other; the "-" connector issue could be a hang-up.
    I would carry one stock as sold, my "personal choice." This is only my personal opinion.
  13. unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    Unless I'm mistaken doesn't Glock issue a warning against carrying a "competition" trigger configuration for self-defense purposes?

If so, that in and of itself would work against a defender's legal team.
  14. dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Yes. Glock also revokes the certification of any Glock certified armorer who knowing puts a "-" connector in a persons carry gun. Also, Glock does not sell the 34/35 to LEAs with the competition trigger configuration in them. They put in standard connectors or, if requested, "-" connectors with NY1 triggers. Those are the Glock manufacturer's acceptable/authorized/recommended trigger configurations for a carry/defensive Glock. For an agency to purchase the 34/35 with the competition trigger system, the agency must formally request it in a letter on agency letterhead paper. Yes, Glock views the 34/35 with the "-" connector as a purely competition only gun...their idea of the ultimate "race gun" for IDPA.

This issue has been hashed, re-hashed, re-re-hashed, nauseum:
    5 threads, merged and made a "sticky":
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  15. HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    Although I have a Glock 34, I have never carried if as an EDC strictly because of it's size.
    I also have several 1911's in barrel sizes from 3" to 7" and IMHO the trigger on the 1911's (when "cocked and locked") is far more sensitive than my Glock 34 or my Glock 27.
  16. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Gen4 Glock 22 the issued sidearm to all of Alaska DPS?
  17. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    A 35 is in my carry rotation IWB, I did change the extended mad release to a regular one thought, 4.5 is in it, is a factory connector.
  18. dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    My are not wrong, I am. I had it in my head that the AST issued them, but that is not the case. There are LEAs that do, such as the Kentucky State Police.
  19. Your concern is clearly about the trigger and that is largely going to come down to in which state you live. In my state, what you may have done to the trigger, or the type of trigger on the gun, is not going to matter. As an attorney once told me, "The 800 pound gorilla in the room is going to be whether or not your actions were justifiable, not any modifications you may have made to the trigger." This could also apply to your gun as is in your case.
  20. dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    The problem is that JMB never got his panties in a wad about trigger pull weights and took a stance that a 4.5 lb trigger was too light for a carry/defensive handgun of his design. Glock, on the other hand, has taken just that stance. the difference.