close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lefties shooting right-handed AR's

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by J. Parker, Jan 10, 2011.

1. J. Parker

J. Parker

May 24, 2000
    Ephrata, Wa.
    Are there any lefties shooting right-handed AR's? Any problems to think about?

~Thanks, John

2. Well, I'm a rightie and have shot a buddies leftie AR several times, no problem at all. IMO leftie ARs are a gimmick.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Im a lefty and have been shooting right handed since I picked up a firearm over 25+ years ago.

4. MisterPX

MisterPX Guest

Not a lefty, but shoot left handed about 25% of the time. No issues, except when you're rollover prone and the brass lands on your neck. ;)

5. Hedo1

Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania
    I'm a leftie and own and shoot right hand AR's. No issues.

They're set up backwards as far as I'm concerned :) but nothing you don't get used to.

6. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    I am RH but shoot long guns LH (left eye dominant and like to keep both eyes open) including AR's. No problems what-so-ever. You may want to get an ambi-mag release (Troy industries is my preference), and ambi-charging handle (I don't use one so no recommendations, but might in future). I prefer ambi-safteys so I would use one no matter if I was LH or RH.

I would not recommend anyone getting a LH AR. There is no point and you limit yourself in parts.

7. BigDaddyK

BigDaddyK

Oct 13, 2002
    Cherry Point
    Yeah no problems for me either. Just practice the operation of it and you should be fine. I'd say it's about as easy for a lefty to operate as it is a righty.

8. Jon_R

Jon_R

May 3, 2009
    Central Florida
    Lefty shooting normal ARs for a while.

The only thing I change on them is I like the colt safety and put the lever on the right hand side so I can run it with my left thumb. The colt safety is cut so you can put it on either side.

I might try an ambi charging handle to see if I like it otherwise the rest is just standard setup.

9. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    I shoot a right handed Colt left handed and the only problem I've encountered was the hot brass hitting me in the face or going down the back of my shirt. I solved that problem by buying a brass deflector from Brownells. It was cheap and fits onto the flat top. Since then no issues. Everything else I just practiced and trained so it's not an issue.

10. raven11

raven11

Jan 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I'm a lefty and shoot right handed AR's with no problem

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    I'm a righty, but i've shot M16s and M4's left handed when necessary. Except in some very extreme shooting positions, nothing to worry about. That case deflector is there for a reason.

12. My son is left handed, he has not problems at all shooting AR15's and AK47's left handed.

13. KK40384

KK40384

Jun 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I've noticed only one issue with a lefty (a friend of mine) shooting my AR this weekend. When he was shooting with the stock fully collapsed with a hat on, it would occasionally catch spent brass and smack him in the forehead. Happened once or twice a mag. Once he took his hat off he was good to go.

14. southpaw45

southpaw45

Jan 30, 2009
    Im a lefty and I shoot a right handed ARs all the time. Never had any problems and never caught any brass in the face. It works so good for me that I thought they were designed for us southpaws. The only think I changed was to install an ambu saftey and charging handle latch..

15. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    No problems for me. Ambi selector is nice but not mandatory. Ambi mag relase would be good for tac reloads. I suppose ambi charging handle would be nice too.

As it is with work the only thing they allow us lefties is an ambi selector and sometimes those aren't available so I just use a right handed gun.

16. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    As long as the upper receiver has the brass deflector "bump" (highlighted in green, below), then you'll be good-to-go. Some older ARs (Colt SP-1s and other retro models) and thick-walled-upper-receiver varmint-style ARs don't have the brass deflector; if those are shot lefty, then the shooter may get some hot brass in the face.

[​IMG]

Add-on brass deflectors are available, or you can use a brass catcher that covers the ejection port and traps the empty cases in a bag or box.

17. AFPD118

AFPD118 NRA Memeber CLM

Jun 28, 2001
    Burlington, NY, USA
    Lefty i have shoot righty ARs sense my Army days, no problems. Both my Stags are right handed, hard to sell lefty guns, and not sure i would like one anyway :)

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I've taught several people, and dozens of soldiers to shoot left handed.

Its a non issue, as long as you've got a brass deflector.

19. drizzle

drizzle

Jan 4, 2007
    Twin Cities
    Anyone have a link to a LH charging handle?

20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas