close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Left hander building his first AR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by OSUJEEPER, Feb 15, 2013.

1. OSUJEEPER

OSUJEEPER

Feb 21, 2012
    Hello everyone. I am in the process of building my first AR. I had had grand plans of building myself a left handed AR out of some great parts. I want a gun i can use for the range and be very accurate/ as well as a home defense gun. That i can take some defensive rifle classes with. I was going to use this Upper http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=14_23&products_id=398 with this LPK http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-kit-spikes-enhanced-parts-kitfde-p-879.html
    and I was going to put it all on the Core 15 lower i picked up right before the whole gun world went crazy.
    Three things have happened since then.
    1. I'm getting impatient and really want a functioning AR not parts.
    2. I'm wondering if....since i'm getting impatient....if I should just build an AR to have an AR and compromise on the parts just to get one. This would not be a left handed one. but just a regular 16in pretty clost to mil spec AR.
    3. My buddy just bought his first AR and I'm getting really jealous.

Also money will not allow me to but everything at once. so I'll still be spacing it out over the next few months anyway. I have the Lower and the buffer assembly at this time, but nothing else. I'm looking for a little advise on what to do.
    Should I hold out and put the parts i want on it...... Or should I break down and compromise in order to build one slightly faster.
    Thanks

2. MstrPara

MstrPara Go Loud.....

May 3, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    As a fellow southpaw.......RH eject (good quality mfr). Ambi charging handle, ambi safety.

Good to go. Just my .02. Good luck!

3. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    Don't compromise in quality of parts.

That said, as a fellow lefty, you don't need a LH upper. I have one, its fine. I have a RH one it's also fine. Just get an ambi selector and charging handle.

4. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Sep 24, 2003
    NoVA
    I'd say you can skip the ambi CH... I thought they all were already.

Ambi selector is a must for all because it helps you get the safety back ON faster before you move.

I ran a LH Stag for a while but found that my rack and roll muscle memory had me dropping malf'ed and deformed rounds and brass back into the action.

Plus it's faster to diagnose and reduce a malfunction as a left eye dominant shooter and a standard eject rifle (of any type).

5. zhix

zhix

Jan 31, 2010
    Not a fan of stag arms, I believe Rock River or another company makes LH uppers now; either way the last time this came up lefty shooters like the guys who already posted mostly use regular RH ARs

6. OSUJEEPER

OSUJEEPER

Feb 21, 2012

Thanks for the input guys... Why are you not a fan of Stag? I've only heard good things. The reason I ask is I like to hear all sides so I can make an informed decision.

7. zhix

zhix

Jan 31, 2010
    I had a lot of trouble with an SBR of theirs and the customer service I got from them having to return it to them 3 times. On another site there's also guys who had issues with their 6.8 rifles. F rating from the BBB for because they don't respond to customer complaints. I had heard good things about them before buying one as well.

8. exmdshooter

exmdshooter WWJMBD?

Southpaw shooter here and I have NO trouble at all with a "standard" right-handed AR. Thinking about it, an ambi selector might be nice, but I've adapted and RH ejection has never been a problem for me. Since I always put two fingers on the charging handle I've never seen the point of an ambi (or left handed) one of those.

9. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Hell I'm a right handed shooter and I can run a right handed AR left handed just fine. With no ambi anything.

You'll be OK.

I recommend buying a complete upper from a good manufacturer.

10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    South paw here and I run regular right handed ARs, no ambi controls or anything like that.

My opinion is its best to shoot and train with standard AR so you can pick up and use ANY AR under stress.

11. Kloogee

Kloogee

Sep 16, 2011
    Another lefty here with a standard RH gun. I plan on adding an ambi selector, but not sure it's necessary. I started out originally looking for a LH gun, but decided against it largely for resale purposes. I don't plan on ever selling my gun, but if I ever do, I didn't want to minimize the market to sell it to. Also, my boys are righties, so easier for them.

So far, I'm happy with the choice.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  12. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Feb 8, 2009
    JAX, FL
    Im a weird one I like to shoot pistols right handed but rifles left. You will be fine going with a right hand ejected upper. I put an ambi safety on one rifle and really like it the other has a standard safety I just flip my thumb over to put it on fire and trigger finger to make it safe. Its good to be able to do both just incase. But id still get the ambi safety. I plan to put one on the second rifle.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. remlap

remlap Senior Member

Apr 5, 2005
    northern CT.
    southpaw also my AR's are totally all righty never had a problem and I can run them as fast and safely as my right handed friends.

14. Fredder

Fredder TANSTAAFL

Oct 10, 2012
    Kansas
    I shoot Lefty and I prefer shooting RH rifles. It is a non-issue IMO.