Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Lee progressives

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by High Altitude, Apr 26, 2011.

1. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    You guys ever get the urge to buy a lee progressive because you know, in your hands, these presses will work fine after you dial them in :supergrin:

One day I am going to get a Lee Pro 1000 to see what all the talk is about. After watching all the videos on the Lee Pro 1000 and the Loadmaster, the designs actually look pretty good from a budget/value stand point.

Must be the tinkerer in me.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. phred119

Sep 29, 2004
    South Carolina
    I've got a Load Master. I've hit a few snags along the way, but nothing the I think is beyond the normall learning curve for any new machine.

3. dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Do you want to tinker? Go with a Lee.

Do you want to reload? Go with a Dillon or a Hornady.

Choice is yours. There's a reason the Lee's are cheap.
  4. unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    It all depends on how much you shoot. If you only shoot 50, 100 rds. A week and not into competition, It might work and work fine. Or do you want a press that you know will work, when you load and shot 400 to 500 rds. a week just about every week, and shoot competition?
  5. Shoot IDPA almost every other weekend, plates and scenarios in the back yard 1-2 evenings a week with some buddies..

No problems. My loadmaster has at least 75k rounds through it since I got it in '97, replaced 1 $4 part so far.
  6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I have two Lee presses - single stage & Pro 1000. I like both. The Pro 1000 works fine for me. I don't care for the primer feed system, so I hand prime the cases. But I simply set up the 3 stages with - flare/charge, seat the bullet, then crimp in the final stage. It's worked well.

I'd like to get a Dillon as well. Just have other priorities and the Lee works just fine for me. Eventually I'd like to have a press that eliminates the additional hand ops that I have now.
  7. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    I'ld rather waste my money on a HiPoint.
  8. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I have the Loadmaster as well, just got it a couple weeks ago off of a friend of mine who had two of them and wanted to set me up with one of his since he didn't need 2 anymore. I think the bad reviews with these come from people who don't take the time to properly set it up correctly as there are a lot of actions happening though every stroke of the handle. It was a little finicky at the very beginning because it was all new to me as I have just started reloading. But I stuck with it, learned about all aspects of the press and how to make it work properly, dialed mine in at every point, and now it truly works like a champ.
  9. unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    So lets say you have loaded 100,000 with your Lee press. You have been loading on it for 14 years. That is 7142 rounds a year. Or 137 rounds a week.
  10. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    You don't get full credit for that answer unless you show your work.
  11. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

Or a very quick 100,000 rounds on a rainy Saturday afternoon. :dunno:

12. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Must be short tournaments.. :)
  13. I don't understand your point.. if you have one. Do you mean to imply 137 rounds a week is to many?? or to few??

I didn't know I would need to show my reloading logs or brass pile..

Though not exactly my numbers, but for a couple years since I bought it I didn't load at all, because I was "busy".. But of "my" ammo that I shoot, (I still get to shoot some .gov ammo) I shoot in excess of 200 rounds a week pretty easy. Not hard when you have a range of your own, live 20 minutes from Ft Knox's ranges and within an hour and a half of several IDPA clubs and Knob Creek, and mostly hang out with other like minded ex combat arms people and retirees..

EDIT : OH wait I get it now. You mean to say that since I am only shooting 2-300 rounds a week, if I upped my shooting to your 5-600 rounds a week my cheap LEE which has functioned nearly perfectly for more than a decade will just melt down.

I totally understand.. See if I drive my Mustang anywhere near the distance my wife drives her Mercedes, I will never get there and the car will melt down because it only cost half as much. No way it it could be a perfectly exceptable vehicle.. carrying people from a-z with nary a hickup since I bought it.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  14. unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Sorry but I will not amputate my fingers and toes, To show my work.:supergrin:
  15. I don't know what "tournaments" you refer to?

A typical IDPA match around here is 35-50 rounds. I don't load any rifle rounds, but also don't shoot a whole lot of them. Maybe 15% of my shooting is rifle and shotgun.
  16. steve1340

Aug 7, 2010
    I bought a used Loadmaster 2 weeks ago, after spending countless hours on youtube trying to fiqure out the priming system (with no success), i decided to sell it on ebay. Last week I got my Dillion 550B, in 2 hours I had the loader all set up and 150 rounds loaded. It is truly a pleasure to use! Dillion all the way.
  17. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Hmm..No, I don't think you understand what he was saying.
  18. unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Didn’t mean for you to get defensive. But yes 200 rds. a week is a low number to some of us. The point is if you do not shoot a lot and shoot competition a Lee press might suit your needs just fine. If you like to tinker with the press to get it to work right, that is fine also. Some of us like a press to run out of the box without tinkering, and we shoot 400+ rounds a week. Even though I belong to 3 shooting clubs. I guess one does not count since that is skeet range. The closet one is 7 miles away but very restrictive. The one that I can shoot steel on, and don’t have set range targets is 47 miles away. So when I go and that was just about every week. It was at least 400 + rds. Just to make the trip worthwhile.
    Some people can get the LM to work and have very good luck with it and are very happy. Others cannot. There are, I think very few people that load 15,000 to 40,000 or more a year that use any type of Lee press.
  19. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Jan 24, 2004
    Some people can run Loadmasters, some people cannot. Fortunately, I can and have for several years. I've gone through a total of four primer sliders over a period of approximately 40k. It takes setting dies properly more than anything and even though I only load 45 ACP on it now, it's nice to pump out 50 rounds in about three minutes without using a case feeder and do it as trouble free as anyone with any other brand of press.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  20. PsychoKnight

Sep 30, 2006
    SoCal - SGV
    I think there are exactly 3 people in this world who have great success pumping out 25k rounds/yr on a Lee progressive.

Uncle Don is one of them, and I admire him for that. I have no idea who the other two would be.

I had about 29k across two years before giving up on the LM. I learned a lot from that machine. All of it useless. Its like becoming the best sushi maker in the world when you, all your friends and family all hate sushi, and you have nothing to do with the food service business, or sushi in general.

I don't want to become an expert at figuring out a press. I want to reload w/ convenience and efficiency. The more reloading and less figuring, the better.

I really think the LM is an evolving creature. Everytime you figure out a problem, it evolves to provide you with another challenge. They may be few and far between, or many and frequent, but it will never end. Never.

Shellplate rotational acceleration was a real kick. This is transferable technology. I'd rather push a handle to startup a small gas engine than to pull a rope. I better not say rope, or Richard L. will integrate steel cables and pulleys with the LoadMaster II - add just the right amount of moly grease here . . . and blow a puff of air right there as you fling the . . .

Look, as a teenager I bought a unicycle after reading that blind people can ride them while juggling balls. It didn't work for me or my friends. But Bruce Lee (during his drug-free moments) would have been proud of our nunchuck moves . . To each his own machine - its your own time and sanity. We just want everyone to be happy and not be a Red/Blue/Darkred/Green/Orange/GunMetal Hater.

Becoming Master of the LoadMaster is like working your way up the 5 story pagoda in The Game of Death
    (Add your own sound effects at this point: first, close the door and take off your shirt)
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011