close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Lee-ness

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Zombie Steve, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Just got a Lee 6 cavity mold for .45 230 tc boolits. I figgered for under $40 I don't have much to lose. Seems to throw good looking boolits, but the freakin' handle on the sprue plate already fell off.

[​IMG]

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    I am too big of a man and all around humanitarian to say...

I TOLD YA SO!

So I wont. :whistling:

Jack

3. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    The strange Chineewood® they use sure does suck.

Decent boolits, anyway.

4. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
  5. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Arn't you the fellow that breaks everything? The mold never had a chance.:whistling:

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    You must have pissed Santa off to get that lump of coal for Xmas. I do like some of the Lee bullet shapes, but their molds are so hit & miss. SOunds like a good investment opp, making better spru plate setup for the Lee 6cav molds.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  7. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I think one of the guys there is making sprue plates for the Lee 6cav, but I could have read it wrong.

8. sdelam

sdelam

Feb 1, 2007
    I did the samething with my first lee 6 cav, you have to let it get real hot. There is no way to force that spruce plate open without breaking it if it isnt hot enough. Lee sent me a replacement for free though. Now I use a electric hot plate to preheat my molds and havnt had any issues since.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  9. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    The handle broke or fell off? The wood gets loose and slides off. The ID is square, so I turn it a bit and drive it back on the stud. Eventually, it will crack. I cracked my first one, on the mold handle itself, this weekend. It still seems to work, but eventually I'll have to replace it. I'll either drill out some round stock, or buy replacement wood from Lee.

10. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    As far as making the sprew easy ro cut, yes, heat the mold on a hotplate. Also, make your first couple of casts by only filling the first few cavities, the ones closest to the sprew pivot.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    The handle slid off. I think he figured out how to fix it with out all these brilliant minds from the forum. I gave him a ton of advice on how to use a Lee mold. It should be ruined for good before the ball drops.

12. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
  13. blastfact

blastfact

Aug 15, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I've come to the belief a human can break any thing and it's always,,, I mean always the things fault. Or is it red paint. I rep Bell & Gossett Pumps. I've seen so called smart folks go out of there way trying to ruin them.

Just last week I had a 400 hp pump on a cooling tower that was working until they screwed with it. Every body is pissed off from the over educated idiot PE/Engineer to everybody under his worthless arse. I go out,,, bleed the air out of it and off she goes. Problem is now $4k in mechanical seals are ruined and it leaks like a sinking ship. Run the seals dry she dies. Bummer boys!

And it's funny how red pumps, blue pumps, orange pumps, green pumps, gunmetal colored pumps all seem to fail in the hands of idiots. Surely color has nothing to do with it. :)

Bash On!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  14. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Zombie, blastfact is calling you an idiot... I didn't realize he knew you so well. :whistling:

Jack

15. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Most Lee stuff comes in a pre broken state, it's not that hard to push it a bit further.:yawn:

16. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    We went to different high schools together.

The Lee-ness of it all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  17. Zombie Steve

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I wasn't going to say anything about this, Mullah X, but that is the scariest thing I've ever seen. Came close to shooting my monitor a few times, but the PBR medication helps.