close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Lee Loadmaster Or Dillon Square Deal B

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dday27, Aug 5, 2010.

1. dday27

dday27

May 15, 2007
    Okc
    Which one of these would be the better press for reloading 10mm only

2. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    No comparison, Dillon SDB.....hands down.

3. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    SDB....go blue! I have had 2 SDB's, work great. Sold my 45 acp SDB. I also have 2 550's and a 450. Just loaded up 300 rounds of 10mm this morning in 35 minutes (I was taking my time!) Great way to start the day, cup of coffee and 10mm's!

4. bush pilot

bush pilot

Jan 29, 2004
    northwest
    Is this a trick question? SDB without question.

5. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    As Manly and Bru have pointed out, the SDB is a very fine machine, I've had one on my bench for just short of 20 years. Produces fine ammunition at a high production rate however, just with almost anything else, the potential downsides of something are as important as the upsides.

The most glaring are things you are probably already familiar with. The machine uses Dillon proprietary dies only so a caliber conversion will necessitate a monetary expenditure even if you already own dies of a different brand. (Yes, I did take heed of your statement about only loading 10mm... of course the loader that starts out with one caliber and never adds others isn't born yet and his mother is dead.)

With the SDB you will be limited to pistol calibers only, excluding the 357 Sig, I believe. There is no option to load rifle calibers.

Depending on your age and physical condition the SDB can be problematic. Due to it's relatively small footprint it can be difficult if and when your hands become arthritic. (Don't snicker, you'll get there.)

Assuming none of the above concern you the SDB is a fine choice. An option to consider may be saving up your pocket change and investing in a LNL or 550B. Either machine will give you considerably more versatility for very little more money.

Good luck.

Jack

6. AZBru88

AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    Arizona
    I would have to agree with Jack. At the price point the SDB is now at, its worth stepping up to the 550. Get the roller handle and mount it to a strong bench. You'll be much happier. Like I said I have 2 550's, one set up for small primers, 223 and 9mm. The other large primer for my 44 mag and 10mm. Quick head and shell plate change out.
    I have loaded over 50K of 44 mag on my one 550 over the years. I probably put 25K through my SDB in 45 acp.
    I know you don't plan on adding any more calibers now, but 5 or 10 years down the road there might be something you can't do without.
    I still have to call Dillon for my 223 set up. I have 6K of brass waiting on me.
    I liked my SDB's, but the 550 is worth the extra $$$. I go for the Dillon carbide die's, and the roller handle also. I can load 100 rounds in 9 minutes taking it easy and checking each powder charge (by eye). I weigh a lot when I first start a caliber, but usually only odd looking or every 100th when I'm comfortable with the setting. (I'm sure others weigh more often, but by eye has worked for me) I've loaded way over 100k total rounds over the years.
    Both will work if funds are shy, stay with the SDB, if you can spare the extra, the 550 is the way to go. Best of luck and enjoy which ever you get.
    PS you really don't need the powder safety, bullet trays or strong mount (unless your bench is super low, then the mount helps). You can see your powder, I fill mine after I fill the primers the second time (every 200 rounds), bullet tray, I have some plastic shallow dishes I use, same on the brass. One other thing I like is the ability to load 1000 primers into tubes. I have 9 primer tubes. When I run out I load a tube, fill the machine and then load all 9 refill tubes = 1000 primers. Just how I like to do it. Speeds loading up a little.

7. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    To answer the OP's question
    the SDB hands down. You can pick one up used for less that $300 shipped. One in the GT classified right now in .45 with strongmount.
    I just bought myself a second one for .45 ACP only, it is newly refurbished by Dillon, including a new powder drop and three sets of dies with tool heads.
    OP, If you decide to go the SDB route and find a one used, need the .40/10mm dies. Drop me a PM. I'll have a smoking deal on a set with tool head for you.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  8. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    A Lee Boatanchor Or a Dillon Square Deal B. Is there a question in there?

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Really! The question houl;d be SDB or 550B. The SDB is a fine press, but the Dillon only dies put me off. No 357sig or rifle rounds, or oldies like 38-40 or 44-40. It would be a fine rig to setup & leave for say 9mm or 45acp though.

10. D. Manley

D. Manley

May 30, 2005
    Southern US
    I have toolheads set up for 9MM, .45, .40 and .38/.357 for mine and complete primer systems (shield & all) for large & small. Full change-overs take about 5 minutes, no adjustments required. I strongly prefer the auto-indexing feature on a progressive press and for my purposes, rifle is best left to a good single-stage with Forster being my press of choice. I'm a pretty big guy being over 6'4" with a fairly high bench. My SDB is on a strong mount & the height provides easy leverage as well as putting the shellplate high enough to be both easily accessible and highly visible. With bullet tray, empty case bin sits on the finished cartridge catch bin there is no wasted motion. While the 550B is indeed a fine machine and for many is a better choice, I would'nt swap the SDB even money. What you load and how you prefer to do it has to be taken into the equation.

11. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK SEMPER FIDELIS

Aug 2, 2009
    South Florida
    I've owned a SDB for just about 20 years now, and would not trade it for anything.
    I have dies for .40/10mm, 45 ACP, 9MM, 38/357. The customer service at Dillon has been fantastic. I recently had the top part (powder holder assembly) break and Dillon sent me a complete new one for free.

12. at_liberty

at_liberty

Jun 19, 2010
    Upstate SC
    I would take the Loadmaster because it can do the same job for half the price. It also would be more verstaile for later ideas about other reloading. It comes with a case feeder. It auto indexes. Quite importantly, it has an extremely helpful user group, complete with all sorts of video instruction and demonstration along with mods that people have developed.

13. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Personally I’m not in favor of either one. But looking at your profile and what you have listed in what all you shoot. I would say you are looking at a dictated press? Of all that I have read and what people that have owned these presses. I would have too go with the Dillon Square deal. But then for a couple of dollars more you can get the 550. Something that would be more versatile, that you could hand down too your kids or grandkids. Or even the awkward operation of a LNL (Yes that is my opinion of it) if auto indexing is what you are looking for.

14. I am quite partial to my Lee stuff. Almost bought a used Dillon Square Deal .45 ACP for $250. Deal fell apart so I purchased a new Lee LoadMaster with dies for $172.

Like I said, I am partial to my Lee stuff.

15. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    This. I have two. I owned the 650XL. I'd take the SDB hands-down for pistol only reloading.

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

We can expect to hear from unclebob any second now. :whistling:

Jack

17. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    What now Jack? How do you really expect me too rationalize with delusional people? I would say he does not have a case feeder? If he does then he does not know how too operate a 650.

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    You are my Idol.

19. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    :upeyes: You gotta consider individual application Wise Sage. I only shoot 400-800 rounds montly. I only shoot/reload pistol. I prefer the SDB primer feed. I prefer the SDB size. I prefer the SDB simplicity. I can crank out 300-400 rounds per hour on the SDB. With two SDBs I change calibers in 0 seconds. I can get 3+ used SDBs for the price of one (typically priced) used single caliber 650XL (w/o the case feed). (Mine were ~$175 LN and ~$200 LNIB respectively). They are my presses; so I'll buy what I want to buy, you can buy what you want to buy and we'll call it good. Agreed? :thumbsup: