close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lee Loader 12 gauge - resize brass hull necessary?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bigmahi22, Jan 4, 2010.

1. bigmahi22

bigmahi22

Jun 1, 2007
    I just got a old lee loader "kits" from a friend, it basically allows you to de prime, prime, crimp. The thing is it does not come with a die/part to resize the hull. I plan to primarily melt/reload slugs and recently replaced the extractors on my mossberg 500. Is a brass resizer necessary? (meaning is this kit alone enough to do the job) or should I plunk down $50 for a lee load all ?

Thanks in advance.

2. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    It will depend on the hull you use. Maybe, maybe not. If you are using high base hulls, probably, low base you are probably fine w/o sizing the brass.

3. bigmahi22

bigmahi22

Jun 1, 2007
    Thanks, I'll buy a few boxes of low base hulls and give it a few tries. One more related question, I also just got a lee loader for .308, is resizing the brass casing for the .308 necessary for medium-light loads? I have a Howa 1500 bolt action.

4. Glock2008

Glock2008 Gun User

Jul 16, 2008
    Up north

They have to at least be neck sized for a bolt action rifle.

5. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    IIRC, that's all you can (and should) do with the Lee Loaders in rifle calibers.

6. I started off loading PAPER hulls on my kitchen table using a Lee Loader like you have. I never needed to resize a base, as that part doesn't really take any pressure; a shotshell has an inner section that rises to just below where the base ends. Shotgun pressures are typically very low. You should do fine if you follow the recommended loads.

7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Nov 12, 2011
    Idaho
    In my experience, if you are shooting them from the same gun, resizing the brass isn't needed. If you are buying once fired hulls. resizing will ensure the hulls shot from another gun will chamber in your gun.

8. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

Jan 5, 2008
    Lots of good info on this thread so I will not add any to that,
    just want to say I got my first Lee Loader in 1966 for a 12ga
    I was 10 years old then and have about 40 of them now.